Herculaneum

Sea42

Hi cruisemom2

Could you email me a copy of your self guided Herculaneum tour. Been to Pompei so would like to visit Herculaneun this time. My email address spy956@yahoo.com.au

Thank

Swee

I tried to email the notes to the address above but it bounced back with the message "This user doesn't have a yahoo.com.au account"

Any thoughts?

I would also love a copy. ccshipmates @ hotmail . com (put address together) :)

Also, after reading the first few pages of this thread, I skipped to the last. Are the buildings, houses still closed that you mention earlier?

Do you think we will have trouble hiring a taxi for 4 persons from Naples to first go to Herculaneum for a few hoursand then on to Sorrento, with a stop in the hills for lunch? We will be sailing on the Celebrity Silhouette in May and will stop in Naples on a Sunday :eek: from 7:00 to 6:30.

Also, after reading the first few pages of this thread, I skipped to the last. Are the buildings, houses still closed that you mention earlier?

Do you think we will have trouble hiring a taxi for 4 persons from Naples to first go to Herculaneum for a few hoursand then on to Sorrento, with a stop in the hills for lunch? We will be sailing on the Celebrity Silhouette in May and will stop in Naples on a Sunday :eek: from 7:00 to 6:30.

I was back at Herculaneum again in late October, and most of the same houses were still closed; however, we were able to access part of the Palaestra, which was closed on my earlier 2012 visit.

For those planning later visits, checking the official site of the Superintendent of the ruins at Herculaneum (as well as Pompeii and other sites) may be helpful. For Herculaneum, there is a page that lists which houses/buildings are currently open or closed:

http://www.pompeiisites.org/Sezione.jsp?titolo=Organizza+la+tua+visita&idSezione=93

The page is in Italian, but "edifici" means houses/buildings and "aperti" is open & "chiusi" is closed. The names of most of the houses are not too difficult to decipher or you can use Google Translate.

I was back at Herculaneum again in late October, and most of the same houses were still closed; however, we were able to access part of the Palaestra, which was closed on my earlier 2012 visit.

For those planning later visits, checking the official site of the Superintendent of the ruins at Herculaneum (as well as Pompeii and other sites) may be helpful. For Herculaneum, there is a page that lists which houses/buildings are currently open or closed:

http://www.pompeiisites.org/Sezione.jsp?titolo=Organizza+la+tua+visita&idSezione=93

The page is in Italian, but "edifici" means houses/buildings and "aperti" is open & "chiusi" is closed. The names of most of the houses are not too difficult to decipher or you can use Google Translate.

Thank you, I looked up the website and can make out that a few of the houses are back opened.

I am not sure if you tried to send your notes to me, but I have not received them. :o I am anxious to read them when you get a chance. ;)

CruiseMom42.... I would also be interested in your notes... You are kind to supply such information to all.....I won't distribute... email: 21 jack j @ gmail dot com... not spaces anywhere...

another question...

for our group of four I am considering transportation to Herculaneum or Pompeii. I don't see any train prices listed in the post (perhaps I missed them.) Would a taxi be about the same cost or only a little more with less hassle than taking the train? Any advice...

thanks.

CruiseMom42.... I would also be interested in your notes... You are kind to supply such information to all.....I won't distribute... email: 21 jack j @ gmail dot com... not spaces anywhere...

another question...

for our group of four I am considering transportation to Herculaneum or Pompeii. I don't see any train prices listed in the post (perhaps I missed them.) Would a taxi be about the same cost or only a little more with less hassle than taking the train? Any advice...

thanks.

I'll try to remember to send my notes along to you (and gubby) this evening when I'm home.

As to transportation....

A single ticket from Naples to Pompeii or Naples to Herculaneum is -- last time I checked -- 2,80 euro one way. (That's the regular priced U3 Unicocampania ticket -- not that you need to know that, just tell the ticket seller where you are headed.)

Pompeii is about twice as far from Naples as Herculaneum, and I've read that the official fixed fare for a roundtrip taxi to Herculaneum, plus about a 2-hour wait for you to visit the site costs 70 euro. So....22,40 euro RT on the train versus 70 by taxi.

And for Pompeii, the taxi would be much more.

By the way, there is a bus that goes directly from Pompeii from a point very close to the port for about the same fare as the train. I haven't done it but it seems to be easier to get to and probably more pleasant than the old Circumvesuviana trains.

Hi cruisemom 42. I appreciate that you are likely a very busy person and have had copious requests for your notes regarding Hercumaneum. However, if you could find a few minutes, I would really appreciate a copy. Thanks so much.

telmish@bell.net

Just tried to email you the notes but they did not go through.

CruiseMom,

I am sure you had no idea your notes would be so popular when you posted the generous offer to send them. We are going to be in Naples on a cruise in a few months and are planning a trip to Herculaneum since we visited Pompei on a previous cruise. We hope we can go via train and would love a copy of your notes. Thanks so much. avad88athotmaildotcom

Ava

Thanks Cruisemom. I received the notes this evening. I have just had a very quick glance through them and I am very impressed with the detail. This will make our tour so much more meaningful. I hope that I am able to play it forward some day soon.

Nikki

For those who visited BOTH Herculaneum and Pompeii....which one you would recommend best for a shore excursion? It has been MANY years since our last visit to Pompeii (not that it changes much over the years...), but would be interested in seeing something different next time.... even though surely we didn't get to see everything in Pompeii on our last visit.

For those who visited BOTH Herculaneum and Pompeii....which one you would recommend best for a shore excursion? It has been MANY years since our last visit to Pompeii (not that it changes much over the years...), but would be interested in seeing something different next time.... even though surely we didn't get to see everything in Pompeii on our last visit.

We really enjoyed Herculaneum--I felt like I had a much better sense of how people were actually living when it was destroyed. I loved that you could walk around inside the houses, and the site is compact enough that you really can see it all in one visit. I recommend it!

Cruisemom,

Your knowledge of all things classical is legendary.

I'm returning to Herculaneum in April after several years, and would so appreciate your notes. Thanks for all that you share here on CC.

Nancy

petuniafish@gmaildotcom