Herculaneum

Sea42

After reading all the requests for your notes I hesitate to bother you with another. But, I would love them for our trip to Herculaneum! Please send them when you get a chance. Email to psarchibald at gmail . Com Just take out the spaces. Thank you for your generosity.

Cruisemom....I feel so guilty piling on like this(not too guilty to ask mind you), but would you be so kind as to send a copy of your notes to dougfrick@msn.com.....

Thank you so much

Doug

PS..if you are ever in San Antonio and need to know where to find a good enchilada, I'm your man

Got your info on Herculaneam and it is terrific. If we are ever on the same cruise will buy you a drink of your choice(as long as it is under $10( LOL)

The stop is called Ercolano Scavi.

It is closer to Naples than Pompeii; I did it coming from the other direction (Sorrento) but I'd say it's about 20 minutes.

Can't answer re: the taxi, but the train is pretty easy. Once you get off the train, you'll walk downhill down a major road with the train station at your back. This road basically dead-ends at the entrance to Herculaneum in about 4-5 blocks -- you can't miss it.

There's no museum onsite.

Yes, you should have enough time to do both Herculaneum and the Archaeology Museum.

I have a lot of info on Herculaneum, included notes for a self-guided tour (having just done it a few weeks ago). If you want to give me an email, I'd be happy to send it to you.

I think I have caught up with all the requests above this message.

Yes, I do feel like I'll be sending these out forever! :D

Hello cruise mum

Can you help we have been offered 3 private tours of Herculaneum and the museum at various prices and need to decide which one to book before we depart in the 29th may. I would love to see your notes and hoe they can help us decide which tour to go for. Do you need an all day private guide or can you pick one up at Herculaneum and the museum for a group of four at a reasonable price? Hope you can help us . Many thanks My email is veronickadancer@aol.com

Cruise Mom,

Can I ask if you can add my request to your "batch": next time when you get a chance, please send your Herculaneum notes to xiaolinwx @ gmail.com. Thanks so much!

Charlene

Cruisemum. I just want to say a very big thank you to you! We just came back from our cruise; and Herculaneum is without doubt one of the highlights! Thank you so much for sharing your notes!

To the fellow cruisers who asked about taxi trip - We had initially planned to take the train from Naples to Herculaneum but ended up taking a taxi. We had a long day in Rome the day before Herculaneum and had walked so much! There are lots of taxis and tour companies just outside the port. Our taxi costs 70 euros return. Our taxi driver picked us up from Herculaneum at the agreed time; and drove us to see some other key sites around the Naples city on the way back. We asked for a drop off at the entrance to the funicular station to go up Vomero and the St Elmo fort - the view of Naples is amazing! Highly recommended! Hope this helps someone!

Hi, Cruisemom:

That's so kind of you to share your notes on Herculaneum with so many people! If you are still up to doing this, would you please e-mail your notes to me at silvermanca@gmail.com

Very Truly Yours

Waterway

Please may I join the amazingly long list of people requesting a set of your notes on Herculaneum Cruisemom. We will be there in early May. Have visited Pompeii which was amazing and would now like to visit Herculaneum. kenatocc@gmail.com

I have seen reference to a bus that you can also get to Herculaneum rather than the train. Does anyone know anything about it?

Hi cruise mom. Can you please send me your notes on Herculaneum? We will be there in July and would much appreciate it. lourdesal at bellsouth dot net. Thanks for your time.

Also a few general questions to anyone who can answer. I understand that you can walk downhill 5-6 blocks from the train station to the entrance of Herculaneum, which means to get back a 5-6 block walk uphill. Not looking forward to that in the July heat. I believe someone mentioned a shuttle from the train station to the entrance? Did anyone use it? Also, if we stop at the museum on the way back to the ship, can it be walked back or do we need to take the train again?

Edited by andawayigo

• 2 weeks later...
I think I have caught up with all the requests above this message.

Yes, I do feel like I'll be sending these out forever! :D

Cruisemom/Cynthia, I'm not sure if you had a chance to send your next batch of Herculaneum notes....I'd be very grateful if you can send your notes to me xiaolinwx @ gmail.com. I'd like to catch up with the reading before I set foot on the site in August.

Thanks very much!

Charlene

Hi Cruisemom

I would be interested in your guide but wondered whether, to give you one less email to send, you would mind me asking Cadburysmom to forward it on to me. We are on the same roll call and I hope she wouldn't mind.

Thanks

Also a few general questions to anyone who can answer. I understand that you can walk downhill 5-6 blocks from the train station to the entrance of Herculaneum, which means to get back a 5-6 block walk uphill. Not looking forward to that in the July heat. I believe someone mentioned a shuttle from the train station to the entrance? Did anyone use it? Also, if we stop at the museum on the way back to the ship, can it be walked back or do we need to take the train again?

It really, really isn't that bad of a walk!! I didn't see any shuttle to the entrance, and I've done it by train twice.

Re your other question: If you are asking whether you can walk back to the ship after the museum, you can -- but it is a lot farther than the walk to Herculaneum. (Although it is downhill most of the way....)

Also, can a taxi get you all the way to the entrance?

b47 at earthlink.net

I'm not sure. Perhaps you could. There seem to have been a few taxis parked at the station, but my guess is that they are hoping for a fare to Vesuvius, not to the Herculaneum entrance. You might persuade them though.... At the entrance gate, you still have to walk to the small building to get tickets (you get great views down into the site while doing this). Once you have your tickets, you have to walk along another side of the site to reach the stairs where you descend to the ancient level.

Hope that helps.

Hi Cruisemom

I would be interested in your guide but wondered whether, to give you one less email to send, you would mind me asking Cadburysmom to forward it on to me. We are on the same roll call and I hope she wouldn't mind.

Thanks

Sure, but I appreciate in general if they are not widely circulated. As I've said before, I gathered the info together, but much of it is not original to me. I really, really do NOT want to see it showing up on some website somewhere. :o

Add me to the annoying (ongoing) list of folks asking for your goods!

We are on the Sunshine in October, and I have our Naples tour booked with joebanana.

Herculaneum is on our itinerary.

I would love to take a look at your guide as well.

hercheckeredmini at gmail dot com

Thanks so much!

S

Sure, but I appreciate in general if they are not widely circulated. As I've said before, I gathered the info together, but much of it is not original to me. I really, really do NOT want to see it showing up on some website somewhere. :o

Thanks Cruisemom

I completely understand. It will not go further.

Hi Cruisemom, Getting in on the tail end of your post and want to be one of the many who are asking for your notes regarding Herculaneum. We will be in Sorrento on November 17 and would really appreciate your guidance!!:)

My email address is: Claire5@q.com

Many thanks.

The stop is called Ercolano Scavi.

It is closer to Naples than Pompeii; I did it coming from the other direction (Sorrento) but I'd say it's about 20 minutes.

Can't answer re: the taxi, but the train is pretty easy. Once you get off the train, you'll walk downhill down a major road with the train station at your back. This road basically dead-ends at the entrance to Herculaneum in about 4-5 blocks -- you can't miss it.

There's no museum onsite.

Yes, you should have enough time to do both Herculaneum and the Archaeology Museum.

I have a lot of info on Herculaneum, included notes for a self-guided tour (having just done it a few weeks ago). If you want to give me an email, I'd be happy to send it to you.

If you still have your info, could you possibly email it to me? I'd love to go there on our day in Naples from the cruise ship and also visit the museum in town. email is Almost Lucy11 @ g mail dot com (again without spaces). Thanks a bunch!

Just booked a med cruise on Tuesday and while it's a year away, love the planning. So here I am.

cruisemom/Cynthia, would love your notes on Herculeneum. We did Pompeii in 2009 and would like to see this site next year. (I think I got your Rome notes for that cruise and they were terrific!)

Thanks in advance. My e mail:

sharon 368 at centurytel dot net