Herculaneum

Sea42

Again, I should be caught up with all requests above.

I will be traveling again for the next few days; I will get to any new requests when I return.

Thank you again for all you do on CC. Larry

I will be traveling again for the next few days; I will get to any new requests when I return.

Cynthia,

Thanks so much for your notes. We used them a few weeks ago and they were very helpful in our visit!

Hello Cruisemom42,

Please send me your notes on Herculaneum. My wife and I will be sailing on the Carival Sunshine next month. My email address is jonw6614@ymail.com

Thank you so much,

Jon

Hi Cruisemom,

I too would be very grateful for a set of your notes on Herculaneum.

Mumsysailor at gmail dot co dot uk

You must have endless patience with these requests. Thank you so much for all your contributions to these boards.

Mumsy.

Have just sent out to all recent requesters.

As an avid travel planner, I truly respect your efforts.

I would really appreciate your notes for both Herculaneum & Pompeii.

Thanks for being there for all us on the boards, you're the best!!

send to: clearviewvid@gmail.com

Before I send the Pompeii notes, let me warn you they are extremely detailed, run to more than 50 pages, and are really geared around a 2-day visit to the site.

If you want to spend at least one FULL day doing just Pompeii, they would be useful, but if you are just planning a flying stop (a couple of hours), I think they would just be overkill.

You can pick up a nice pamphlet at the main ticket area in Pompeii that provides a recommended "itinerary" for anything from a couple of hours to a half-day to a full day. They don't give these out unless you specifically ask (usually you have to ask at the "Information" center not the main ticket purchasing line).

Anyway....with all of these caveats, if you still want the notes just let me know.

Cruisemom. So sorry to trouble you - when I couldn't find said email I realised I'd given you the wrong email address. Please could you re-send the notes for Herculaneum to:

Mumsysailor at gmail dot com

Senior moment!! :rolleyes:

Eternally grateful,

Mumsy.

Edited by Mumsysailor

The stop is called Ercolano Scavi.

It is closer to Naples than Pompeii; I did it coming from the other direction (Sorrento) but I'd say it's about 20 minutes.

Can't answer re: the taxi, but the train is pretty easy. Once you get off the train, you'll walk downhill down a major road with the train station at your back. This road basically dead-ends at the entrance to Herculaneum in about 4-5 blocks -- you can't miss it.

There's no museum onsite.

Yes, you should have enough time to do both Herculaneum and the Archaeology Museum.

I have a lot of info on Herculaneum, included notes for a self-guided tour (having just done it a few weeks ago). If you want to give me an email, I'd be happy to send it to you.

I would be very interested in your Herculaneum notes if you still have them. Please send them to jdapkins @ cinci. rr .com (leave out extra spaces)

Have just sent out to all recent requesters.

Thank you for all of your information. Please send me a copy of your Herculaneum notes to navyveteran at outlook dot com.

We will have a one day stop in Naples (7:00 am to 7:00 pm). My wife is really into archaeology, but she has difficulty walking. Based on what I have read here, it sounds like Herculaneum may be a better choice for us.

We are considering taking the taxi to both. We would visit Herculaneum first where we would walk throughout the site and then go to Pompeii. We would probably just take a quick look at Pompeii without trying to see much - depending on how tired she was by then. I don't think she would really be able to walk around enough to really see Pompeii, but she wants to go there anyway.

We missed Pompeii on our previous cruise stop, but it was a much shorter port visit. We have been to the Archeological Museum though, so we've seen a lot of the artifacts from Pompeii.

I just sent out the notes to all the recent requesters. I continue to be amazed at how many folks are still asking for these. If this keeps up, I won't be able to refer to Herculaneum as an "uncrowded" site for much longer....! :D

Thank you for all of your information. Please send me a copy of your Herculaneum notes to navyveteran at outlook dot com.

We will have a one day stop in Naples (7:00 am to 7:00 pm). My wife is really into archaeology, but she has difficulty walking. Based on what I have read here, it sounds like Herculaneum may be a better choice for us.

We are considering taking the taxi to both. We would visit Herculaneum first where we would walk throughout the site and then go to Pompeii. We would probably just take a quick look at Pompeii without trying to see much - depending on how tired she was by then. I don't think she would really be able to walk around enough to really see Pompeii, but she wants to go there anyway.

We missed Pompeii on our previous cruise stop, but it was a much shorter port visit. We have been to the Archeological Museum though, so we've seen a lot of the artifacts from Pompeii.

I hope you get to both, but it is a lot of walking in a day. Herculaneum is a lot more compact. A taxi would certainly make things easier.

If you do plan to see both sites, be sure to purchase the dual ticket that includes both Herculaneum and Pompeii when you get to Herculaneum -- it's available at the ticket counter and you'll save a few euro.

I just sent out the notes to all the recent requesters. I continue to be amazed at how many folks are still asking for these. If this keeps up, I won't be able to refer to Herculaneum as an "uncrowded" site for much longer....! :D

Thank you very much for your notes.

I hope you get to both, but it is a lot of walking in a day. Herculaneum is a lot more compact. A taxi would certainly make things easier.

If you do plan to see both sites, be sure to purchase the dual ticket that includes both Herculaneum and Pompeii when you get to Herculaneum -- it's available at the ticket counter and you'll save a few euro.

We probably won't decide for sure until that morning. Since we are not planning to purchase tickets or arrange a tour in advance, we don't need to decide earlier.

We may decide to go to Pompeii even if we don't have the time or energy to really walk around it - just to see the general location.

I hate to say it but neither sight is friendly to those who have walking difficulties. Herculaneum is certainly the easier as it is smaller plus has a high walkway that circles around half the sight giving a little of a birds eye view. Pompeii is massive, one could disappear in there :eek:. In both locations the streets and walk ways are uneven, rough and may contain lose stones.

• 2 weeks later...