Herculaneum

Sea42

I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help there unless you're planning to visit the Roman villa (Villa Romana del Casale) at Piazza Armerina with the most fabulous intact mosaics throughout (and newly restored in 2012). Or with the impressive archaeological site at Morgantina.

Villa Romana del Casale: http://www.villaromanadelcasale.it/en/

Morgantina: http://morgantina.org/

Thank you for your response. I am sure if you had visited Palermo, you would have had excellant notes. We also will be spending some time in Giardini Naxas and Messina. Maybe you could help us there.

We were there just a two weeks ago. Herculaneum most definitely has maps AND an audio guide for rent. Not very crowded. And very well preserved. Smaller and Easier to walk for older or less mobile folks!!!! You can hire a private guide at entrance if you want. VERY easy and cheap to reach via public transport from Naples ( as are Pompeii and Sorrento).

We were there just a two weeks ago. Herculaneum most definitely has maps AND an audio guide for rent. Not very crowded. And very well preserved. Smaller and Easier to walk for older or less mobile folks!!!! You can hire a private guide at entrance if you want. VERY easy and cheap to reach via public transport from Naples ( as are Pompeii and Sorrento).

Is Naples worth spending any time in or are there too many pickpockets to watch out for?

Is Naples worth spending any time in or are there too many pickpockets to watch out for?

We took the tram from the port through Naples to the train station, which we thought gave us a taste of Naples. In general, we were not too impressed with Naples though. We liked the town where Hercaluneum is better and if we had to do it again would have had lunch there. The walk from the train station down to the ruins was quite nice.

When we got back to Naples, we walked towards the main shopping area and had pizza somewhere along the way. We only brought enough cash for the day and copies of our passports, but left our credit cards and passports on the ship.

We took the tram from the port through Naples to the train station, which we thought gave us a taste of Naples. In general, we were not too impressed with Naples though. We liked the town where Hercaluneum is better and if we had to do it again would have had lunch there. The walk from the train station down to the ruins was quite nice.

When we got back to Naples, we walked towards the main shopping area and had pizza somewhere along the way. We only brought enough cash for the day and copies of our passports, but left our credit cards and passports on the ship.

Smart move, Alex71 with the passports and credit cards. Based on your comments we will visit the Amalfi Coast with a private driver and avoid Naples for the day.

Hi, We would like to visit the Herculaneum in May followed by a visit to the Archeological Museum. I am a senior with a bad back and I'm afraid I couldn't make the walk from the train station to the site, much less walk back. I thought I read somewhere that there is a shuttle available to take you to the site from the train. Can anyone confirm this? The alternative would be to hire a taxi to take us there and wait & for us to finish touring and then take us back to Naples. I believe the cost is 70 euros, in case anyone is interested.

To cruisemon - I would dearly love your notes if they are still available. My e-mail is ajl626@yahoo.com - Many thanks

Anita

What guide company or name of individual did you use for Pompeii? Thanks

I'm not sure who you are addressing this question to?

Most people on this thread are discussing Herculaneum and most have done it on their own.

Perhaps starting a separate post for Pompeii would yield better results.

Hi, We would like to visit the Herculaneum in May followed by a visit to the Archeological Museum. I am a senior with a bad back and I'm afraid I couldn't make the walk from the train station to the site, much less walk back. I thought I read somewhere that there is a shuttle available to take you to the site from the train. Can anyone confirm this? The alternative would be to hire a taxi to take us there and wait & for us to finish touring and then take us back to Naples. I believe the cost is 70 euros, in case anyone is interested.

To cruisemon - I would dearly love your notes if they are still available. My e-mail is ajl626@yahoo.com - Many thanks

Anita

Hi Everyone

Similar to Anita's question, I would also like information on taxi costs from the port to Herculaneum and return via the museum if anyone has done this.

We would like to spend about 4 hours at Herculaneum, go to the museum and have lunch somewhere nice in Naples before going back to the port. Does anyone know if the taxi will wait that long and how much this might cost?

Or is there a tour company that would do this as a type of transfer set up?

Would appreciate any feedback from others who have done something similar.

Thanks.

Amanda

Anita

I will send along my notes shortly.

There is a tram that runs along the major street that parallels the port; it will take you to the train station. You can purchase a ticket at the news kiosk near the tram pick up. Get a ticket that will be good for your entire trip, as you can use the same ticket for the train.

When making your decision about how to get to the site and back, keep in mind that there is about a 10-15 minute downhill walk TO the ruins at Herculaneum from the train station, but of course there is also the same walk, uphill, when you return. Plus, although Herculaneum is much smaller than Pompeii, there is quite a bit of walking (on uneven surfaces and with steps) at the site itself.

Hi Everyone

Similar to Anita's question, I would also like information on taxi costs from the port to Herculaneum and return via the museum if anyone has done this.

We would like to spend about 4 hours at Herculaneum, go to the museum and have lunch somewhere nice in Naples before going back to the port. Does anyone know if the taxi will wait that long and how much this might cost?

Or is there a tour company that would do this as a type of transfer set up?

Would appreciate any feedback from others who have done something similar.

Thanks.

Amanda

The rate, as I understand it, for the taxi includes up to 2 hours waiting time at Herculaneum, then back to Naples. You would have to negotiate a longer stop there and including the museum. Is there a reason you wouldn't just take the public transportation?

Edited by cruisemom42

Bases on the taxi rates from 2009 it would normally cost about 130 Euros for a round trip taxi to Ercolano and Herculaneum and does include a 2 hour wait. These rates have probably increased since 2009 (I cannot find more current rate info). If you are referring to the Archeological Museum in Naples, you could simply have your taxi return you to that drop-off point. Then after visiting the museum you could get another taxi to take you back to the port which should not cost much more then 12 Euros.

As others have said, public transit is a very good option for this type of journey as you will save lots of money (over 110 Euros) and have the freedom to stay as long as you please. However, it is a few block walk from the Ercolano Scavi stop to the ruins (not a problem if you have no mobility problems). And after visiting the ruins you can make the return walk to the station a bit nicer if you stop somewhere for a nice lunch :).

Hank

We went to Herculaneum in June of last year in the afternoon. There were no guides, just a bunch of bored vendors. Maybe we were not approached by a guide since we were with a group. By the time we had left, the ticket office was deserted. There was a sign that said "No Maps". Herculaneum was empty except for our group and a few individuals there on their own who hung around our group. The parking lot was empty. I just want to share my experience so people do not go unaware. Always go with a map or buy a book from one from one of the vendors. Maybe it was like this on a hot afternoon, but you would think June would be a popular time.

Still, I enjoyed Herculaneum more than Pompeii. It was such an interesting trip.

Wow cruisemom42 have received sooo much information for my June trip from your numerous posts - thank you for the wonderful information. I would be interested in your Pompeii notes, no problem going through 50 pages for me.... email is enomete at hotmail dot com.

Do you recommend Pompeii or Herculaneum for a port day with two teenage girls? I haven't done my research on either one yet but still gathering information.

Also Cruisemom42 I would love to receive your info on both places (and Rome if you still have). I enjoy reading your replies here. They are always full of lots of information. They are very helpful for me since I am in the early stage of planning our trip in June. I feel I am not sure where to start. :) My email address is shanpic@gmail.com

TIA

I will send along my notes shortly.

There is a tram that runs along the major street that parallels the port; it will take you to the train station. You can purchase a ticket at the news kiosk near the tram pick up. Get a ticket that will be good for your entire trip, as you can use the same ticket for the train.

When making your decision about how to get to the site and back, keep in mind that there is about a 10-15 minute downhill walk TO the ruins at Herculaneum from the train station, but of course there is also the same walk, uphill, when you return. Plus, although Herculaneum is much smaller than Pompeii, there is quite a bit of walking (on uneven surfaces and with steps) at the site itself.

The rate, as I understand it, for the taxi includes up to 2 hours waiting time at Herculaneum, then back to Naples. You would have to negotiate a longer stop there and including the museum. Is there a reason you wouldn't just take the public transportation?

Thanks Cruisemom and others for your detailed information.

I also found your notes fantastic Cruisemom; thanks again for your efforts!:)

I do have mobility issues and use a walking stick so I thought the cab option might save the walk to and from the train. I manage really well, just get tired from a lot of walking.

But I am thinking we might give it a go and try the train option; I should be able to manage it, given that I managed Pompeii OK!! It would be the walk after Herculaneum that would be the hardest as I will be tired. Can you get a cab from Herculaneum back into Naples; ie do they hang around there?

So if we are taking the walking option, if we want to do the museum after Herculaneum, can we walk there from Herculaneum? Or should we walk back to the train station and get a cab to the museum? Can we then walk back to the ship from the museum or is it too far?

We also want to go to a nice place for lunch in Naples somewhere on the walk from Herculaneum or near the museum. Can anyone recommend a place with good food that is reasonable? Pizza or lunch type stuff is what we're after.

Thanks again everyone for all your help!:)

Cheers

Amanda

But I am thinking we might give it a go and try the train option; I should be able to manage it, given that I managed Pompeii OK!! It would be the walk after Herculaneum that would be the hardest as I will be tired. Can you get a cab from Herculaneum back into Naples; ie do they hang around there?

So if we are taking the walking option, if we want to do the museum after Herculaneum, can we walk there from Herculaneum? Or should we walk back to the train station and get a cab to the museum? Can we then walk back to the ship from the museum or is it too far?

We also want to go to a nice place for lunch in Naples somewhere on the walk from Herculaneum or near the museum. Can anyone recommend a place with good food that is reasonable? Pizza or lunch type stuff is what we're after.

Thanks again everyone for all your help!:)

Cheers

Amanda

I don't recall taxis hanging around at the entrance to Herculaneum; they seem to wait at the train station instead.

What I might suggest is that you see Herculaneum, then walk to the entrance. If my memory serves (visited there twice within the last 12 months), there is a pleasant-looking restaurant just on your right with the entrance gate behind you. It may have been right there or up one block, I cannot be sure, but it is on the right-hand corner of the street you traverse to and from the station.

You could eat lunch there and rest a bit. Perhaps if you are lucky, you can get a taxi (they may be dropping off another sightseer), but you may have to walk back up to the station.

Once you get back on the train, you can take it to the Napoli Garibaldi station (which connects to the main Naples station but is not the "end of the line" station where you got on. Then take the metro to Cavour station (one stop) and get off. Here it can be a bit confusing and again it is a bit of a walk as you need to look for a pedestrian tunnel labeled "Museo" that will bring you close to the Museum entrance.

Here are some more detailed instructions from Tripadvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k6562584-Garibaldi_Train_Station_to_Naples_Archaeological_Museum-Naples_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html

Your ticket covers all of this travel.

I will warn you that twice I have tried to find that tunnel and twice have failed! But nevertheless I got to the museum.

You should be able to get a taxi at the museum to take you back to the ship at the end.

Edited by cruisemom42

Do you recommend Pompeii or Herculaneum for a port day with two teenage girls? I haven't done my research on either one yet but still gathering information.

Also Cruisemom42 I would love to receive your info on both places (and Rome if you still have). I enjoy reading your replies here. They are always full of lots of information. They are very helpful for me since I am in the early stage of planning our trip in June. I feel I am not sure where to start. :) My email address is shanpic@gmail.com

TIA

I think you should discuss with your daughters. They may know more about Pompeii (I know my son studied it in school and also when he took Latin in high school, so it's the place he wants to see...) But I suggest you look online at images of both. Pompeii is much larger and requires a bigger time investment. If you want to do more than one thing in Naples, Herculaneum may be a good option.

I would suggest you continue your research and decide which one interests you more -- then I will be happy to provide my detailed notes. I just don't think they would be that helpful to you at this stage. (Plus the Pompeii ones are extremely detailed, really meant for spending at least one FULL day at the site, if not longer.)

As for Rome -- I've been there so many times that my notes would fill a book. :D (Seriously, ask anyone who knows me....!) I don't really have a "Cliff Notes" version for the major attractions. I would strongly suggest you get hold of some Rick Steves guidebooks. He is very straightforward, geared toward people who want to tour on their own, and even tosses in a little (corny) humor from time to time which your teens might like. He gives just enough history for most people's first visit.

His guide to the Mediterranean by cruise ship probably covers a lot of your ports.

I don't recall taxis hanging around at the entrance to Herculaneum; they seem to wait at the train station instead.

What I might suggest is that you see Herculaneum, then walk to the entrance. If my memory serves (visited there twice within the last 12 months), there is a pleasant-looking restaurant just on your right with the entrance gate behind you. It may have been right there or up one block, I cannot be sure, but it is on the right-hand corner of the street you traverse to and from the station.

You could eat lunch there and rest a bit. Perhaps if you are lucky, you can get a taxi (they may be dropping off another sightseer), but you may have to walk back up to the station.

Once you get back on the train, you can take it to the Napoli Garibaldi station (which connects to the main Naples station but is not the "end of the line" station where you got on. Then take the metro to Cavour station (one stop) and get off. Here it can be a bit confusing and again it is a bit of a walk as you need to look for a pedestrian tunnel labeled "Museo" that will bring you close to the Museum entrance.

Here are some more detailed instructions from Tripadvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k6562584-Garibaldi_Train_Station_to_Naples_Archaeological_Museum-Naples_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html

Your ticket covers all of this travel.

I will warn you that twice I have tried to find that tunnel and twice have failed! But nevertheless I got to the museum.

You should be able to get a taxi at the museum to take you back to the ship at the end.

Thanks again Cruisemom for all the great info. This will help me make a decision re which is the best way to approach it.

I might try to get a group together from the roll call so we can do the tram/train option together. That way it's more fun and less chance of getting lost, lol!:)

Thanks also to hawkeyetlse for the train costs!

This information is so valuable to other cruisers who haven't been before so I really appreciate your efforts!:)

Cheers

Amanda