Fire on the Allure

The life vests are stored at your muster station.

I doubt it has anything to do with theft. Those things are bulky and half my suitcase would be filled with one of them.

A practical reason for not having them in the staterooms on Oasis and Allure is lack of space. Those cabins on the two ships are so lacking in storage space, I would have had a hard time to store them;).

On a more serious note, I see the reasoning behing not providing life vests in the room anymore. The majority of a 24 hour day most people are not in their room, so if an emergency is to happen that needs to abandon ship and therefore the use of life vests they are of no use in the room.

Then most emergencies and thus calls to your muster station do not require a life vest in the first place. So it really makes sense to have poeple proceed to their muster station without the life vests. The masses will move faster without the bulky vests as well and they will not clutter the rooms where they are supposed to muster with the vests.

The vests will only be needed in case of an abandon ship situation and in that case it makes perfectly sense to only provide them at the point where needed.

Ok, thanks! I hear you about the bulky packing issue!!! I had to do some engineer worthy work to get my daughter's in a suitcase! I almost had her walk on the ship wearing it HA HA

With all of our snorkel activities I wanted to make sure she had one fitted for her size that was comfy as she will be wearing it for several hours while in the ocean over her head.

Every ship in RCI's fleet has LJ's stored at the LB stations(even the ones that have them in the cabins), and there are always extras.

A vid runs on your cabin TV all about this and also the info is on the back of your cabin door. Take the time to read and watch:rolleyes:

People obviously aren't paying attention at muster if they don't realize that lifejackets are at lifeboat stations. All they have to do is look around at muster to see the signs showing where the lifejackets are and how many are there, very sad.

All newer ships are 100% electric. The diesel engines are there to produce electricity.

It is still unclear if the fire was electric or something else.

It is also still unclear how extensive the damage is.

Yes there are backup systems, but if the primary system is unworkable, they do not like to operate on the backup system alone.

There is no worse event to happen than to have a ship at sea loose all power. AKA Dropping The Load. In rough seas it can be disastrous.

Wen I was in the Navy we had it happen once, middle of the night in the South China Sea. Very scary.

The Captain was immediately relieved of duty pending investigation. It is that serious.

People obviously aren't paying attention at muster if they don't realize that lifejackets are at lifeboat stations. All they have to do is look around at muster to see the signs showing where the lifejackets are and how many are there, very sad.

It is kind of difficult to look around and pay attention in muster if you have never been to muster for that particular ship. :rolleyes:

As many said, the life jackets are usually found in the closets of the staterooms. Since the Allure does things differently it might be a good idea to have a general idea where they are located ... before the muster drill.

Every ship in RCI's fleet has LJ's stored at the LB stations(even the ones that have them in the cabins), and there are always extras.

A vid runs on your cabin TV all about this and also the info is on the back of your cabin door. Take the time to read and watch:rolleyes:

The Oasis and Allure do not store the life jackets in the cabins. Those are located at the lifeboat stations.

The other ships in the fleet provide the life jackets in the cabins. There are extra life jackets at the lifeboat muster stations. The ships are not required to keep enough extra life jackets (in addition to the ones in the cabins) at the life boats for everyone.

I would be surprised if a ship like the Freedom has 5500 life jackets stored at the muster stations, in addition to the ones in all the cabins.

Maybe they do. It would be interesting to find out.

It is kind of difficult to look around and pay attention in muster if you have never been to muster for that particular ship. :rolleyes:

As many said, the life jackets are usually found in the closets of the staterooms. Since the Allure does things differently it might be a good idea to have a general idea where they are located ... before the muster drill.

It is actually pretty easy to pay attention at muster on Oasis and Allure as you are typically seated in a comfortable area and watch a well put together video. It is not like standing outside in the blazing heat crammed into a small space with a lot of other over heated people listening to someone drone on over a PA system, that can be difficult to understand at best, as on most other ships.

The Oasis/Allure don't have them in the staterooms. Big mistake in my opinion...causes too much panic.

Personally, I think they should have life jackets in the staterooms AND at the muster stations. That way you have all your bases covered.

As many have said, life jackets are at lifeboats stations on all ships. They are in both cabins and lifeboat stations on all ships except Allure and Oasis. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think they should have life jackets in the staterooms AND at the muster stations. That way you have all your bases covered.

Life jackets are more of a hindrance when trying to navigate your way through the ship. They are a necessity when you might be going into the water. I think having them at the muster stations makes much more sense than having them in the cabin unless you plan on staying in your cabin until the balcony is about to go under.

Allure muster drill is actually a safety lecture delivered by video in various entertainment venues - theater, ice rink, etc. At no time does one actually see stacks of personal flotation devices.

I suspect that ultimately the decision to have PFDs only stored near the boats boils down to one of cost. If bulk was the only issue less bulky, but more expensive PFDs could have been purchased. After all, aircraft have no problem storing PFDs under seats still leaving room for feet.

There is merit in the thought that having six thousand people headed to their cabin before the boats might lead to confusion, but this is going to happen in any case as many people run back to get their passports etc. out of the safe.

As many have said, life jackets are at lifeboats stations on all ships. They are in both cabins and lifeboat stations on all ships except Allure and Oasis. :rolleyes:

Yes, I know that now. When I made my post nicely asking where they were kept it had not been said... just that on the allure they are not kept in the stateroom. You came back and gave the whole "Its so sad when people don't pay attention during muster." comment that was mean and not necessary nor was it at all helpful.

I am sure they explain exactly where the jackets are during the muster drill. As stated if you have not been to the muster drill you have not had that chance. You can't blame people for not knowing when they have not had the chance to be educated. I was asking when the topic was brought up as I did not realize they were not kept in the stateroom as every other ship I have been on had them in the closets.

On our cruise last year on the Oasis.. the video feed wasn't working so there was no video. Finally one of the staff members announced that he would give the demonstration on how to put on a life jacket. Well our muster was in one of bars.. Blaze I think it was.. anyway. Everyone stood up and so of course no one could see the staff member doing his demonstration .. except for the few in the very front. It was very disappointing. People were talking at the same time, so you couldn't hear very well. I didn't worry too much because I figured I could managed to put a life jacket on. I thought it might have been a good idea to replay the video feed another time.

Pabrett46

Yes, I know that now. When I made my post nicely asking where they were kept it had not been said... just that on the allure they are not kept in the stateroom. You came back and gave the whole "Its so sad when people don't pay attention during muster." comment that was mean and not necessary nor was it at all helpful.

I am sure they explain exactly where the jackets are during the muster drill. As stated if you have not been to the muster drill you have not had that chance. You can't blame people for not knowing when they have not had the chance to be educated. I was asking when the topic was brought up as I did not realize they were not kept in the stateroom as every other ship I have been on had them in the closets.

people learn about the things they're interested in. they have no problems finding the prime locations on the pool deck, finding their dinner tables, etc.

how many people check the escape/fire routes when staying in hotels/resorts. how many hotels/resorts have practice drills with their guests or even mention what should happen in the event of an emergency...none!

often you check the back of your hotel door to get a "general" idea of what to do.

On our cruise last year on the Oasis.. the video feed wasn't working so there was no video. Finally one of the staff members announced that he would give the demonstration on how to put on a life jacket. Well our muster was in one of bars.. Blaze I think it was.. anyway. Everyone stood up and so of course no one could see the staff member doing his demonstration .. except for the few in the very front. It was very disappointing. People were talking at the same time, so you couldn't hear very well. I didn't worry too much because I figured I could managed to put a life jacket on. I thought it might have been a good idea to replay the video feed another time.

Pabrett46

The video is broadcasted 24/7 in an endless loop on your cabin TV.

Even on ships where the life jackets are in the cabins there are life jackets at the muster stations. If you paid attention to ANY muster drill you would know that. It has been mentioned at EVERY muster drill I've been to (am going on my 20th cruise soon).

No need to be arrogant with your comment above.....

I've been on many cruises myself and I do my best to pay attention at muster drills but quite frankly, I did not know this. Most times it is very difficult to understand the comments being said over the loud speaker due to the thick accents.

Are you talking about my post that I quoted setsail? I did not quote you so not sure how I came back with a mean comment at you, there are actually others posting on this thread too.

What was actually being discussed at the time was location of lifejackets at lifeboat stations. Lifejackets are at lifeboat stations on all ships. At the time, both setsail and I commented on how people must not be paying attention at muster if they don't realize that. You then made it all about Allure. You say you have been on a RCL cruise, all musters that I have attended have always pointed out where lifejackets where kept and have always stated that you were not to go back to your cabin unless instructed because lifejackets are available at lifeboat stations.

Even on ships where the life jackets are in the cabins there are life jackets at the muster stations. If you paid attention to ANY muster drill you would know that. It has been mentioned at EVERY muster drill I've been to (am going on my 20th cruise soon).

Since they do not keep them in the closets of the stateroom I thought maybe the ones that used to be in the staterooms might be in a service closet on the correct deck or some place close to the rooms in a central location.

Yes, I know they have them with the life boats. I also know they are in my stateroom :rolleyes:. It never crossed my mind they would not be in the closet when I got on board. I thought it would be a good idea to ask the question.

I mean golly ... has this board gotten THAT catty that a person can't even ask an honest safety question without being kicked around?

I thought this board was just that ... a place for people to ask questions.

All I did was ask if they no longer had them in the stateroom where did they store them. I thought it was a good idea. I am not sure why people have to be so condescending and rude over a simple question.

people learn about the things they're interested in. they have no problems finding the prime locations on the pool deck, finding their dinner tables, etc.

how many people check the escape/fire routes when staying in hotels/resorts. how many hotels/resorts have practice drills with their guests or even mention what should happen in the event of an emergency...none!

often you check the back of your hotel door to get a "general" idea of what to do.

We always make it a habit to check where the nearest exit is whenever we travel. Since we usually have an aft balcony, finding where the crew/emergency stairwells are has always been one of the first thing we do when we go to our cabin on day one. I have even pointed out the door to my son that leads to the window washing apparatus for the outdoor windows of the WJ on the Mariner.:p That would be the last place I would want to go but if there is no way to make the two stairwells that are back there, outside would be batter than nothing.

We always check in hotels and airplanes too, I just don't feel comfortable otherwise. We actually just stayed at a hotel in PA that we liked but will request a different room location in the future. The hotel was designed like a box with a large outside courtyard in the middle. Only two corners had stairwells, the other corners had elevators. We were just too far away from a stairwell for comfort.

Yea, real hopefully. This is supposed to be our honeymoon, which we delayed when we got married last September. Let's just say I am going to lose it if I don't get this vacation!

Yeah, We're in the same boat... LOL. Going on our honeymoon that we've been holding off for the past year. This ship better be ok...

......when does the irate E-mail barrage start chastizing Adam Goldstein start? After all the fire must be his fault as is every other problem that Royal encounters in every day operations.....Let the hate begin!.....:eek:;)

Took at least 105 posts....Then you brought it up.

......when does the irate E-mail barrage start chastizing Adam Goldstein start? After all the fire must be his fault as is every other problem that Royal encounters in every day operations.....Let the hate begin!.....:eek:;)

I'm going to take a different route, with how great these new ships are this could not have happened. With every other post saying how much people love the Allure and you haven't cruised until the Allure.

Just got off the Allure and what an imaging ship it is. Overwhelming is more like it.

We happened to be walking out of the main dinning room on level four. When we began to hear and feel a large rumble, lasting what appeared to be a few minutes. You could hear the glasses on the tables and pictures on the wall clattering. I'm my humble opinion I could see a lot of people were worried but at no time did I see anyone panic.

What seemed to be a few minutes later was the BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO... With announcements to the crews of water tight doors etc closing.

Still people seemed slightly nervous but NO PANIC.

About 15 minutes from the original "rumble" the Captian announced of a small fire in one of the engine rooms and that the fire was extinguished and that there were no injuries to any passenger or crew members.

We went back to deck eight and upon exiting the elevator we could detect the smell of smoke in the common areas but there was no smoke visible. We went to our deck in the aqua theater where we again could smell

Smoke. We could see that there was no power from the engines as it appeared we were drifting - this occurred for at least an hour maybe two. Auxiliary power was running as at no time did the power, lights, air conditioning or water go out.

It appeared to me from the areas we walked around and could see, that the ship did not miss a beat as all functions and activities continued or those that were interrupted began after a short and brief delay.

Several more announcemts were made in the course of the evening by the Captain reassuring that all safety system worked as expected and that the fire was extinguished as quick ad it began. He announced that he had turned the ship 90 degrees for the smoke to disperse.

Te following morning during the Captains Corner Q&A - Captain Johnny described the incident in detail.

The cruise continued in affected from my perspective and enjoyed by everyone I could see.

I would like to commen the Captain, Officers and crew members for a great job done. I would specially like to thank them for quickly advising and relaying any info to the passengers as I believe this greatly helped to reduce any grave concerns or "Panic"

This was our first cruise and had an incredible time. Any further questions email me k9webster@aol

I guess we can't all be in the same place at the same time. "I" witnessed and was told about some instances of panic, but as I stated in my post I witnessed more concern and people feeling unsettled. I was happy that it ended quickly and I would agree that the rest of the cruise continued to be enjoyed by everyone. The comedians at the show that night had fun with it and everyone was enjoying their evening.

This too was our first cruise and all I can say is wow!

Took at least 105 posts....Then you brought it up.

......it was tongue in cheek......I personally think he does a fine job running RCCL...unfortunately he ends up a whipping boy for everything that may or even perceived to be wrong with a well run company....I totally agree with McCruzdoggie that the ships have opened up many new customers to a new lifestyle that will profit both.....Cheers.//

Archived