Fire on the Allure

It's not "new", but it's still very effective. When I visited the company that makes it (Marioff), they showed us real video footage of an engine room fire onboard a cruise ship, one of the Voyager class if I recall correctly. The blaze was suppressed within seconds after the system was activated and there was hardly any damage. One of the advantages is that, unlike halon and CO2 systems, the water mist system can be activated before evacuating the crew from the engine room.

edit: It was Explorer of the Seas, as shown on

(at 10:40). Also, it was more like 35 seconds...

"Success stories" like this make you wonder if some of the recent cruise ship fires (Costa Allegra, Carnival Splendour) could have been prevented if they had a system like this...

LOL. It's funny that you said that because shortly after the Splendor fire I noticed that Marioff quickly stopped mentioning the Splendor in trade ads.

It depends on what type of fire it is. An engine oil and paint fire vs an electrical fire which burns inside panels and conduit. It sounds like this was not an electrical fire . Im glad no one was hurt and the ship still has power. I've been looking on AIS to see where she is. can't find her. Thats why I checked over here to see if anyone posted updates.

It's not "new", but it's still very effective. When I visited the company that makes it (Marioff), they showed us real video footage of an engine room fire onboard a cruise ship, one of the Voyager class if I recall correctly. The blaze was suppressed within seconds after the system was activated and there was hardly any damage. One of the advantages is that, unlike halon and CO2 systems, the water mist system can be activated before evacuating the crew from the engine room.

edit: It was Explorer of the Seas, as shown on

(at 10:40). Also, it was more like 35 seconds...

"Success stories" like this make you wonder if some of the recent cruise ship fires (Costa Allegra, Carnival Splendour) could have been prevented if they had a system like this...

Nope, not a chance in the world. These are systems not designed for real fires. I work in mechanical systems for buildings, much like sprinkler systems, its only for small incidents, anything bigger like ignition of a flamable source or small explosion in an engine or electrical system and these wont do jack.

So, this morning we are going to have breakfast and then head over to Allure and my daughter announces she heard on the news that there was a fire on board Allure! Yikes! logged on to Cruise Critic for the latest new and Whew it was just a small fire in the engine room. Nobody injured. Should not affect our departure.

So, this morning we are going to have breakfast and then head over to Allure and my daughter announces she heard on the news that there was a fire on board Allure! Yikes! logged on to Cruise Critic for the latest new and Whew it was just a small fire in the engine room. Nobody injured. Should not affect our departure.

Go to next page 2 same topic as you ,hope it helps you .

Just got off the Allure and I have to disagree that there was NO panic. The crew were visibly scared as we're many of the passengers. Our cabin steward told us that our hallway had many families in tears and begging for life jackets. We were in the main dining room for our lobster dinner and when you feel a 225000 ton ship shake like that you know something big just happened. The crew were trying very hard to appear in control and they did a good job, but you could seem them passing notes to each other and the concern on their faces. We were finished our dinner, but skipped out on desert because I really couldn't eat much after hearing Bravo bravo bravo and water tight doors closing. We saw many in tears and I felt the need to get my kids away from that and the ridiculous people that laughingly and loudly started talking about the titanic and going down with the ship. We strolled the the Royal Promenade and tried to appear normal for the kids. Communication was good and they did a great job of handling things quickly, but there were lots feeling very unsettled. Very glad it ended quickly.

Just got off the Allure and I have to disagree that there was NO panic. The crew were visibly scared as we're many of the passengers. Our cabin steward told us that our hallway had many families in tears and begging for life jackets.

Why would ANYONE be begging for lifejackets when they are right in the room easily available.

Just got off the Allure and I have to disagree that there was NO panic. The crew were visibly scared as we're many of the passengers. Our cabin steward told us that our hallway had many families in tears and begging for life jackets. We were in the main dining room for our lobster dinner and when you feel a 225000 ton ship shake like that you know something big just happened. The crew were trying very hard to appear in control and they did a good job, but you could seem them passing notes to each other and the concern on their faces. We were finished our dinner, but skipped out on desert because I really couldn't eat much after hearing Bravo bravo bravo and water tight doors closing. We saw many in tears and I felt the need to get my kids away from that and the ridiculous people that laughingly and loudly started talking about the titanic and going down with the ship. We strolled the the Royal Promenade and tried to appear normal for the kids. Communication was good and they did a great job of handling things quickly, but there were lots feeling very unsettled. Very glad it ended quickly.

I will be on the Allure next month so I was interested in seeing how the fire was handled.... not scared in any way just interested. Some things to point out here are the reactions of the service crew members. If anyone (in the future) is ever in this situation remember .... these crew members are closer to being called a kid then an adult. RC is wonderful with their drills and training. The crew goes way above and beyond for their guest. However most are college age kids. Of course they were nervous and worried and giving their friends pointed looks. The same things happen when a school has a fire. Kids go through monthly fire drills at school but give them a real fire and they go nuts regardless of training!

My husband teaches a first responders course. The fear factor part can't ever be taught in a class. The only thing that trains fear out is experience..and lots of it.

Great example would be a grease fire that happened in our kitchen a few months ago. My 17 year old was frying bacon and it caught fire. He is an Eagle Scout, has gone through tons of training on fire safety and how to put out a fire. Hell he even won an award for it. Last summer camp he was the assistant for the emergency preparedness merit badge with 20 younger scouts in his class. What did he do when the bacon caught fire? Screamed and forgot everything he was ever taught (sigh) What did I do (me who has never had certified fire fighting training or what not)? Walked up and put the lid on the pan and called him a wuss. :rolleyes:

So unless you see the Capt freak I wouldn't take any stock in the crew members being scared. :p

Thanks so much for taking your time to give us a first hand report!

The Oasis/Allure don't have them in the staterooms. Big mistake in my opinion...causes too much panic.

This is something I did not know. Thanks for the heads up! Where do they store them and distribute them in an emergency? That might be a a good thing to keep in mind. I also wonder if they stopped keeping them in the room due to theft? Good life jackets are not cheap and I am sure too much of a temptation for the towel thieves to resist.

I actually bought my daughter (11) her own life vest for the trip... not for ship emergencies. We are doing several snorkeling events on our trip. She is a decent swimmer but swimming in a pool and swimming in the middle of the ocean are 2 different things. I wanted to make sure I had a life jacket her size while the whole family is snorkeling.

Just got off the Allure and what an imaging ship it is. Overwhelming is more like it.

We happened to be walking out of the main dinning room on level four. When we began to hear and feel a large rumble, lasting what appeared to be a few minutes. You could hear the glasses on the tables and pictures on the wall clattering. I'm my humble opinion I could see a lot of people were worried but at no time did I see anyone panic.

What seemed to be a few minutes later was the BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO... With announcements to the crews of water tight doors etc closing.

Still people seemed slightly nervous but NO PANIC.

About 15 minutes from the original "rumble" the Captian announced of a small fire in one of the engine rooms and that the fire was extinguished and that there were no injuries to any passenger or crew members.

We went back to deck eight and upon exiting the elevator we could detect the smell of smoke in the common areas but there was no smoke visible. We went to our deck in the aqua theater where we again could smell

Smoke. We could see that there was no power from the engines as it appeared we were drifting - this occurred for at least an hour maybe two. Auxiliary power was running as at no time did the power, lights, air conditioning or water go out.

It appeared to me from the areas we walked around and could see, that the ship did not miss a beat as all functions and activities continued or those that were interrupted began after a short and brief delay.

Several more announcemts were made in the course of the evening by the Captain reassuring that all safety system worked as expected and that the fire was extinguished as quick ad it began. He announced that he had turned the ship 90 degrees for the smoke to disperse.

Te following morning during the Captains Corner Q&A - Captain Johnny described the incident in detail.

The cruise continued in affected from my perspective and enjoyed by everyone I could see.

I would like to commen the Captain, Officers and crew members for a great job done. I would specially like to thank them for quickly advising and relaying any info to the passengers as I believe this greatly helped to reduce any grave concerns or "Panic"

This was our first cruise and had an incredible time. Any further questions email me k9webster@aol

Every ship in RCI's fleet has LJ's stored at the LB stations(even the ones that have them in the cabins), and there are always extras.

A vid runs on your cabin TV all about this and also the info is on the back of your cabin door. Take the time to read and watch:rolleyes:

This is something I did not know. Thanks for the heads up! Where do they store them and distribute them in an emergency? That might be a a good thing to keep in mind. I also wonder if they stopped keeping them in the room due to theft? Good life jackets are not cheap and I am sure too much of a temptation for the towel thieves to resist.

I actually bought my daughter (11) her own life vest for the trip... not for ship emergencies. We are doing several snorkeling events on our trip. She is a decent swimmer but swimming in a pool and swimming in the middle of the ocean are 2 different things. I wanted to make sure I had a life jacket her size while the whole family is snorkeling.

The life vests are stored at your muster station.

I doubt it has anything to do with theft. Those things are bulky and half my suitcase would be filled with one of them.

A practical reason for not having them in the staterooms on Oasis and Allure is lack of space. Those cabins on the two ships are so lacking in storage space, I would have had a hard time to store them;).

On a more serious note, I see the reasoning behing not providing life vests in the room anymore. The majority of a 24 hour day most people are not in their room, so if an emergency is to happen that needs to abandon ship and therefore the use of life vests they are of no use in the room.

Then most emergencies and thus calls to your muster station do not require a life vest in the first place. So it really makes sense to have poeple proceed to their muster station without the life vests. The masses will move faster without the bulky vests as well and they will not clutter the rooms where they are supposed to muster with the vests.

The vests will only be needed in case of an abandon ship situation and in that case it makes perfectly sense to only provide them at the point where needed.

I think I read that this decision was made- to not have life jackets in the room - for safety reasons? Most spend more time out of their cabins than in, and in an emergency they don't want people taking time to run back to their rooms for their life jackets. That's what I think I read at least!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

On a more serious note, I see the reasoning behing not providing life vests in the room anymore. The majority of a 24 hour day most people are not in their room, so if an emergency is to happen that needs to abandon ship and therefore the use of life vests they are of no use in the room.

Then most emergencies and thus calls to your muster station do not require a life vest in the first place. So it really makes sense to have poeple proceed to their muster station without the life vests. The masses will move faster without the bulky vests as well and they will not clutter the rooms where they are supposed to muster with the vests.

The vests will only be needed in case of an abandon ship situation and in that case it makes perfectly sense to only provide them at the point where needed.

I have never cruised before, but I TOTALLY agree with these points! Except for sleeping or changing, most people are taking advantage of all there is to do on one of these massive ships. If there were a real emergency that required you to immediately abandon ship, for one to have to take the time to leave their current location and proceed all the way back to their cabin to get their life jackets (and remember, the elevators may not be working at this point) and from your cabin then have to travel to your muster station seems like valuable time lost. Add to that a parent who has to first go get their children (if they are at a kid's program), THEN to the cabin for life jackets, THEN to the muster station and you are adding even MORE valuable time lost. In all emergencies requiring the abandonment of ship, you must travel to your muster station anyway to evacuate, so it makes complete sense to keep them there, thus avoiding valuable time lost traveling from location to location on such a huge ship.

And let's not forget, there would be over 6,000 other people stumbling along with you. Best solution... get them where they need to be as quick as possible with the smallest amount of traveling around the ship.

All that said, I still can understand the comfort level of knowing you possess and are in control of your own personal life jacket at any time you want :rolleyes:

Archived