Fire on the Allure

My Buddy is on the ship, and he heard that the problem started while doing routine maintenance the engine wasn't finished draining oil before the command to start the engine. The engine did catch fire but due to the on-board fire system it was out in a short time. There is a problem, and that is many of the engineers think it was run with no, or little oil. It is an auxiliary so there will be no delays.

Good to know, thanks for sharing the specfics. I tell you it's amazing how informed folks here on this forum are. :)

For those that asked for a position for the Allure.....

Hope this helps :)

CurrentpositionM-SAllureoftheSeasShipsposition2012-04-2118-22-56.png

As indicated ("Data according to itinerary") the position is calculated based on the itinerary. This is not necessarily an accurate indication of where Allure is currently.

There is a brief but interesting note at http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Ships/Allure-Of-The-Seas-9383948.html

All the live tracking sites I know of show a ship position at least 24 hours old if they show anything at all.

Okay, here are the facts.

I am on board The Allure, yes there was a small fire in one of the engine rooms, that caused some smoke smell around the back end of the ship. There was no visible smoke in passenger areas. I was dining at the Chefs Table at the time and we were asked to move from the area for about 20 minutes, whilst the extract fans did their job.

There was NO panic around the ship, a couple of youngsters showed concern, and some parents went to meet up with family members.

At all times The Captain ( Johnny ) kept everyone informed and his team did a GREAT JOB, all safety aspects worked well, and we have just attended a Captains Corner question time, where the situation was explained in detail.

Th ship cintinues to cruise as normal, and there is no reason why the next cruise will be effected.

Top Marks to all the crew involved, and the great design of this ship that meant this situation was quickly brought under control, in a calm and very professional manner.

There were no injuries, and the fire was extinguised by automated systems within seconds of it starting, I am sure the fire team then checked all areas, so a big thank you to those guys as well.

The Allure continues to be the greatest ship afloat.

I am on board The Allure, yes there was a small fire in one of the engine rooms, that caused some smoke smell around the back end of the ship. There was no visible smoke in passenger areas. I was dining at the Chefs Table at the time and we were asked to move from the area for about 20 minutes, whilst the extract fans did their job.

There was NO panic around the ship, a couple of youngsters showed concern, and some parents went to meet up with family members.

At all times The Captain ( Johnny ) kept everyone informed and his team did a GREAT JOB, all safety aspects worked well, and we have just attended a Captains Corner question time, where the situation was explained in detail.

Th ship cintinues to cruise as normal, and there is no reason why the next cruise will be effected.

Top Marks to all the crew involved, and the great design of this ship that meant this situation was quickly brought under control, in a calm and very professional manner.

There were no injuries, and the fire was extinguised by automated systems within seconds of it starting, I am sure the fire team then checked all areas, so a big thank you to those guys as well.

Thank you Chip for a first hand report from the Allure.:D

Safe travels and I hope you and your DW have a great cruise :D

She has six engines and never uses all. If a couple are knocked out they still can sail while repairs are going on below. Usually one of the engines is being serviced just for the fact of the amount of usage going 24/7. Glad to hear everyone is O.K.

Thanks for the report. I was very pleased to read that passengers were kept informed as things progressed. I've always felt that good communications do a great deal to calm people and prevent needless speculation that inevitably leads to overly anxious stress induced idiocy.

Thank you for the update. :) Happy sailings....

Thank you Chip for your great report. We are sailing on the Allure in about 6 weeks. Was hoping to see you on that cruise.

Thanks much, as an April 22nd cruiser and all the passengers on the Allure right now, this is good news.

Rox

Engine room fire was quickly extinguished using the new "fog" system which denied the fire oxygen. Ship on normal schedule back to FLL>

It's not "new", but it's still very effective. When I visited the company that makes it (Marioff), they showed us real video footage of an engine room fire onboard a cruise ship, one of the Voyager class if I recall correctly. The blaze was suppressed within seconds after the system was activated and there was hardly any damage. One of the advantages is that, unlike halon and CO2 systems, the water mist system can be activated before evacuating the crew from the engine room.

edit: It was Explorer of the Seas, as shown on

(at 10:40). Also, it was more like 35 seconds...

"Success stories" like this make you wonder if some of the recent cruise ship fires (Costa Allegra, Carnival Splendour) could have been prevented if they had a system like this...

Reading thru all of this makes it sound like one of the auxilary engines caught fire (and black smokes indicates an oil type fire), which was dealt with immediately.

It also sounds like very few people were affected, and outside of being put on watch for a short period of time, while Captain Johnny and others could sort out the extent of damage, passengers were back at their pastimes onboard in short order.

Thanks ChipLondon for your comments. It's great to have an old time CC'er onboard to give us the facts.

It's also wonderful to know that no one was hurt. It sound like the ship will sail on schedule again tomorrow.

As a side note, it was interesting watching the Ft. Lauderdale webcam, looking at the Oasis having a mini life boat drill with several of their lifeboats, while people were still getting off of the ship.

Rick

Rick

There's nothing like the sound of "Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!" on a cruise ship without warning that it's a drill. If that doesn't make the hair on your neck stand up, nothing will.:eek:

Agreed! We heard that on Enchantment a couple of years ago. Our eyebrows went up when we realized it had not been preceded by a "The following is a drill for crew only" announcement. We could smell smoke from our aft balcony, but they got it under control and we continued on, unaffected.

Archived