Fire on the Allure

I'm going to take a different route, with how great these new ships are this could not have happened. With every other post saying how much people love the Allure and you haven't cruised until the Allure.

I'm not sure I understand your question. How does an accident that occurred have anything to do with most people enjoying their time on board? :confused: :)

I guess we can't all be in the same place at the same time. "I" witnessed and was told about some instances of panic, but as I stated in my post I witnessed more concern and people feeling unsettled. I was happy that it ended quickly and I would agree that the rest of the cruise continued to be enjoyed by everyone. The comedians at the show that night had fun with it and everyone was enjoying their evening.

This too was our first cruise and all I can say is wow!

I was there as well...I will say that I panicked for about 30-45 min! I had left my son in the nursery for the first time ever when this happened and I pretty much RAN to get him!! All staff remained calm as far as I could see and that calmed me a little... except in the main dining room I asked one staff member If he knew what was going on and he told me "you dont need to worry, I dont think"....I was like "you dont think...I want you to know..lol" and that night while sleeping I kept waking my DH and asking him if he was hearing/feeling things. And everytime I heard the sound they make before an announcement the rest of the cruise I got a horrible feeling in my gut! But they handled it well and I will continue to cruise!!

Personally, I think they should have life jackets in the staterooms AND at the muster stations. That way you have all your bases covered.

I agree. In a perfect emergency, if that exists, all persons will be orderly, the ship will not roll to one side, and everyone will get to their lifeboats and life jackets. However, what happenes when a fire inundates the Royal Promenade and folks can't get down and then out to their lifeboats? What happens if folks can only go up? I think PFDs shoud remain in the room.

I was there as well...I will say that I panicked for about 30-45 min! I had left my son in the nursery for the first time ever when this happened and I pretty much RAN to get him!!

Well as I recall during muster they tell the parents not to go looking for their kiddos, the staff will bring them to the muster stations. Oh sure, that's not going to happen, parents will go to find their kids, as would I probably.

I assume the ship was not called to muster stations, so it makes sense to go find your kids to get ready, just in case.

Having been to muster for real on the SS Norway after the boiler blew up, I can attest that a certain percentage of people will panic, passengers and crew. I witnessed chaos and confusion among some crew members as we gathered in the International Lounge waiting for further instructions. A few passengers with us hyperventilated and passed out from the anxiety of the unknown.

That's why I'm not in favor of muster in inside lounges. I want to know where the lifeboats are and how to get to them. I don't want to depend on singers/dancers/cabin attendants in the role of safety personnel to lead me to safety. I've seen that doesn't work as well in real life as in practice. It will not be a calm, organized group of people gathering.

Well as I recall during muster they tell the parents not to go looking for their kiddos, the staff will bring them to the muster stations. Oh sure, that's not going to happen, parents will go to find their kids, as would I probably.

I assume the ship was not called to muster stations, so it makes sense to go find your kids to get ready, just in case.

Having been to muster for real on the SS Norway after the boiler blew up, I can attest that a certain percentage of people will panic, passengers and crew. I witnessed chaos and confusion among some crew members as we gathered in the International Lounge waiting for further instructions. A few passengers with us hyperventilated and passed out from the anxiety of the unknown.

That's why I'm not in favor of muster in inside lounges. I want to know where the lifeboats are and how to get to them. I don't want to depend on singers/dancers/cabin attendants in the role of safety personnel to lead me to safety. I've seen that doesn't work as well in real life as in practice. It will not be a calm, organized group of people gathering.

I would have to agree with this. I have not done the video muster yet but I will in 35 days. I liked becoming intimately acquainted with MY boat :D

Pick out my seat.... make sure there is enough food in there and no holes in the stern :D I feel a bit cheated that I won't get that chance this time around :p

I do think the "don't go to your kids" is a tough one! I understand completely the reasoning behind it but its still extremely scary to depend on another human being to get your child to safety while you stand there chewing your nails =(

correct, we were not called to muster stations. my reaction was to go to him before it could get to that point. i actually almost left him once i got there beacause the staff in the nursery didnt seem concerned. but then i heard one of the ladies tell another that they were not to take anymore children at this time...so I thought I might as well keep mine close to me! at the end of it we were in central park by the trelis bar. we saw the firemen changing back into their usual jump suits and that REALLY made me realize that all was fine! we had our son wave to them as we thanked them!

correct, we were not called to muster stations. my reaction was to go to him before it could get to that point. i actually almost left him once i got there beacause the staff in the nursery didnt seem concerned. but then i heard one of the ladies tell another that they were not to take anymore children at this time...so I thought I might as well keep mine close to me! at the end of it we were in central park by the trelis bar. we saw the firemen changing back into their usual jump suits and that REALLY made me realize that all was fine! we had our son wave to them as we thanked them!

I wasn't meaning you did anything wrong. I am sorry if it came out like that :o

I was just talking in general when a real muster call is made. Its a wing dinger of a request to ask parents not to go run to their kids. I completely understand the reasoning behind it but that doesn't make it any easier.

I wasn't meaning you did anything wrong. I am sorry if it came out like that :o

I was just talking in general when a real muster call is made. Its a wing dinger of a request to ask parents not to go run to their kids. I completely understand the reasoning behind it but that doesn't make it any easier.

......nature dictates that adults protect their young....and it is a little fool hardy to think an adult would trust anyone else with their offspring in a disasterous situation......Why feel guilty?....you're just a loving parent and proud of it!...Cheers:)

......nature dictates that adults protect their young....and it is a little fool hardy to think an adult would trust anyone else with their offspring in a disasterous situation......Why feel guilty?....you're just a loving parent and proud of it!...Cheers:)

Oh don't worry about that at all! If the ship is sinking and we get the muster call I for sure will be hunting down my 2 large teen sons! Who else will I get to row that life boat while I continue sipping on my Bahama Mama?! :D

Oh don't worry about that at all! If the ship is sinking and we get the muster call I for sure will be hunting down my 2 large teen sons! Who else will I get to row that life boat while I continue sipping on my Bahama Mama?! :D

....that's my girl!!!!......:D:D:D

LMAO! Funny!!

Here's a link to the story...it seems all is under control

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/21/2760535/engine-room-fire-reported-aboard.html

Hi Monn,

It just added a wee bit of excitement to the cruise. Capt. Johnny kept everyone informed. Everything was handled quickly and professionally. At the start we were in the DL and could feel the engines being shut down. We then went to the dining room where we proceeded to have dinner. The crew handled everything and within about 20 to 30 minutes all the fire doors were opened and the extraction fans had taken care of the smoke. The Captain also made an announcement to the crew in order to reassure them. At no time did we see any panic either by passengers or crew.

Archived