90 days for full payment.

shinyshoes

I keep reading about this 90 day period for full payment. I have never bothered about the final payment date before, just paid when required. But today out of curiosity I checked my invoice and find that final payment is required by my TA 121 days before travel. Is the 90 rule for the US? Not that it matters much, it has to be paid any way, just curious.

Shiny

I keep reading about this 90 day period for full payment. I have never bothered about the final payment date before, just paid when required. But today out of curiosity I checked my invoice and find that final payment is required by my TA 121 days before travel. Is the 90 rule for the US? Not that it matters much, it has to be paid any way, just curious.

Shiny

I have a final payment date in June for a cruise in September. Seems to be 90 days in UK too. Does it vary depending on the length of the cruise or something, or is it because a TA is involved - I booked direct with Cunard? My guess is that the TA are adding a month on to the Cunard due-by-date.

TA's may add days in order to locate you for final payment to avoid a cruise line canceling for payment not received by the official final payment date. Some cruiselines will cancel you no questions asked, others may give your TA a final call .

30 days seems excessive , it is more usual (US) @ 10 days . Whichever , it is what it is .

Incidently , the only date that matters for cancelation penalties is the cruise line date.

I have heard from other passengers and friends that it is quite usual for TAs to add on a period from one week to a month before the final "due" date on many holidays.

It would seem that this is a "safety net", many people forget that money has to paid for their dream holiday.

Allows time for the transfer of the money between accounts so your TA doesn't miss the deadline (esp important in the UK where banking is still in the stone age).

And of course, your money can earn interest for your TA while it sits in their bank account for a few days/weeks.

And of course, your money can earn interest for your TA while it sits in their bank account for a few days/weeks.
Whenever I've "paid" my TA the credit card has been processed directly by the cruise line. No TA hold involved.

Shiny

Hi Shiny. Like you, I have always made the final payment when my TA requested it. But now that you mention it, the payment date has varied, but always earlier than 90 days before sailing.

BTW, I have never had an adjustment after final payment date was made (USA booking). I just mention that because I didn't realize that the final payment date in the UK and the USA was rougly the same - yet there are some who write that the difference in booking conditions is unfair. I'm confused by that ---> :confused:<---as you can see.

Hi Shiny. Like you, I have always made the final payment when my TA requested it. But now that you mention it, the payment date has varied, but always earlier than 90 days before sailing.

BTW, I have never had an adjustment after final payment date was made (USA booking). I just mention that because I didn't realize that the final payment date in the UK and the USA was rougly the same - yet there are some who write that the difference in booking conditions is unfair. I'm confused by that ---> :confused:<---as you can see.

What is unfair is that in the US you can cancel without losing your deposit and I believe you can get a price adjustment if there is a price drop. These things do not apply in the UK (and some other countries).

Shiny

I just counted mine and the due date was 112 days before the cruise. I think it used to be between 80-90 depending on travel agent.

What is unfair is that in the US you can cancel without losing your deposit and I believe you can get a price adjustment if there is a price drop. These things do not apply in the UK (and some other countries).

Hi Ray. Yes, it is true that US bookings can cancel prior to final payment date without penalty. (Details regarding cancellation after final payment date can be found at http://www.cunard.com/Legal--Privacy/Passage-Contract/ Most often, I purchase travel insurance that covers cancellation (or a percentage thereof) under certain limited conditions.

You're also right about price adjustments: I have requested and received price adjustments prior to final payment, but never after final payment was made, although I have read others have had success in that regard. My understanding is that these policies are governed by laws in which the booking was made, and as you indicate - those laws do vary.

BTW, what percentage of the fare do you have to pay as a deposit (non-refundable) in the UK? If my deposit wasn't refundable prior to final payment, I think I'd wait to book until final payment date since it's so difficult for us to plan vacation dates well in advance and booking a cabin isn't that important to us. I can understand your dissatisfaction with the existing system. Regards, -S.

• 2 weeks later...
I rang the TA just now and he said that it is a bit unusual and he will look into it and get back to me - but not before next week now. We'll see what they have to say.

SS

Shiny, did you ever get a definitive answer from your TA on this one?

J

Shiny, did you ever get a definitive answer from your TA on this one?

J

James, my definitive answer was not really very definitive. He said that although he personally thought it was a bit unusual for such a long lead time, the reason he had from on high was, Quote, The customer has not booked a package but a tailor-made trip composed of three separate items. Unquote.

My trip is a WB TA, 7 days in NYC (for which the TA booked the hotel) and an EB TA. I don't see why that makes a difference but the ways of travel agents are manifold and wondrous to behold. And I have spoken to several people since and all have had to make final payment well in advance of 90 days. So it would seem that the 90 days rule applies to direct bookings with Cunard. At least that is the way I see it. And anyway the cash has to be paid one way or another.

One other thing which people might find useful, the hotel we wanted was the NEW YORKER, (we prefer the older type of NYC hotel and try to stay at a different one each trip). Online the hotel showed full for the whole time we were there. I mentioned to the TA that we were disappointed not to get in and he said he would look into it. Two hours later he had booked a room of the standard we wanted for us. So we were very pleased.

Shiny

P.S. If anybody has any negative experiences to relate concerning this hotel -- PLEASE DONT - It will spoil the surprise.

SS

James, my definitive answer was not really very definitive. He said that although he personally thought it was a bit unusual for such a long lead time, the reason he had from on high was, Quote, The customer has not booked a package but a tailor-made trip composed of three separate items. Unquote.

My trip is a WB TA, 7 days in NYC (for which the TA booked the hotel) and an EB TA. I don't see why that makes a difference but the ways of travel agents are manifold and wondrous to behold. And I have spoken to several people since and all have had to make final payment well in advance of 90 days. So it would seem that the 90 days rule applies to direct bookings with Cunard. At least that is the way I see it. And anyway the cash has to be paid one way or another.

One other thing which people might find useful, the hotel we wanted was the NEW YORKER, (we prefer the older type of NYC hotel and try to stay at a different one each trip). Online the hotel showed full for the whole time we were there. I mentioned to the TA that we were disappointed not to get in and he said he would look into it. Two hours later he had booked a room of the standard we wanted for us. So we were very pleased.

Shiny

P.S. If anybody has any negative experiences to relate concerning this hotel -- PLEASE DONT - It will spoil the surprise.

SS

Cheers Shiny - my booking for September was made with Cunard so I'm subject to the 90 day rule. I have a vague recollection that when I booked last year's cruise through an agent the lead time was longer.

J

• 2 months later...

Thread bump warning!

Just booked for Christmas and my TA mentioned that my final payment was due (to the TA) at 127 days out. That's really soon and will most likely put the payment in the same credit card billing cycle as the deposit.

Can someone tell me what Cunard's final payment schedule is for a US booking? This is booking #3 or #4 with the same TA so hopefully I can plead for 7-10 days push on the final payment if Cunard only needs it by 90 days prior. Looking at the most recent card statement I'd only need 4 or 5 days to bump it out to the next statement.

Or I could put it on my Costo Amex, I guess... :)

For voyages of over 30 days Cunard final payment date is 120 days prior.

TA adding 7 days to collect is very typical .

If your cruise is not 30 days , then perhaps the 120 days is due to it being a Holiday cruise as many cruise lines have earlyier payment for Holiday cruises.

Here in the UK we have two Cunard cruises booked with two different TAs. One asks for final payment 17 weeks in advance (119 days) and the other requests payment 14 weeks in advance (98 days). The one with the longer lead time is a large TA who we will not use again so it will be their loss in the long run.

Archived