Sky suite S1 bs S2

Jacqueline

What ship? Not sure about M-Class and Century, but on S-Class it is not just location; S1's are significantly larger than S2's (interior AND balcony). Also S1's have large porthole window in addition to balcony whereas S2's have no window. If you are not on an S-Class ship I am not sure if S1's are larger than S2's.

What I said about S-Class applies to Silhouette - so it is not so much location, but S1's are larger and have the addition of a large porthole window. If you plan to spend a fair amount of time in your stateroom and have the money available, the S1's are a lot nicer - so it might be worth the splurge. If you do not plan to spend too much time in your room or if money is tight, then it might be prudent to save some cash and opt for an S2. Attached are some pictures of an S1 on fellow S-Class ship, Equinox.

232323232%7Ffp6339%3B%3Enu%3D3285%3E%3B65%3E466%3EWSNRCG%3D35584478%3B%3B32%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63388%3Enu%3D3285%3E%3B65%3E466%3EWSNRCG%3D355842%3C%3B8%3A32%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp6326%3A%3Enu%3D3285%3E%3B65%3E466%3EWSNRCG%3D355842%3C%3B9732%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63389%3Enu%3D3285%3E%3B65%3E466%3EWSNRCG%3D3558424%3B%3A%3B32%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63388%3Enu%3D3285%3E%3B65%3E466%3EWSNRCG%3D35584366%3C%3A32%3Bnu0mrj

Our first celebrity cruise was originally to be in a s2 on Eclipse but as there was a price drop we switched over to a celebrity suite.

Once on board the ship we met a couple who were in a s1 and although they enjoyed their suite they were upset about the lack of sunshine on the balcony due to the overhang from above.

As we enjoy sitting in the balcony I was so glad that we had switched over. On the other hand if you like to be sheltered from direct sunlight then this may be another factor to consider.

Scotslizzy

In basic terms the S1 has the corner balcony, so you get the chance of sun and views from the side and rear of the ship. Only the floor (Deck 12) immediately below the Resort deck has the overhang, the rest follow step pattern at the back of the ship, so will get the sun more easily. There are no cabin plans of the S1 corner suite on the Celeb site.

Our first celebrity cruise was originally to be in a s2 on Eclipse but as there was a price drop we switched over to a celebrity suite.

Once on board the ship we met a couple who were in a s1 and although they enjoyed their suite they were upset about the lack of sunshine on the balcony due to the overhang from above.

As we enjoy sitting in the balcony I was so glad that we had switched over. On the other hand if you like to be sheltered from direct sunlight then this may be another factor to consider.

Scotslizzy

Just sailed Equinox in an S1 7356. No overhang. Wonderful sunshine most all of the day.

Judy

In basic terms the S1 has the corner balcony, so you get the chance of sun and views from the side and rear of the ship. Only the floor (Deck 12) immediately below the Resort deck has the overhang, the rest follow step pattern at the back of the ship, so will get the sun more easily. There are no cabin plans of the S1 corner suite on the Celeb site.

We had the S1 on deck 12 and found it as good as our friends who had an S1 in deck 6 and deck 9. The sun was on our balcony as much as the others but we also had some shade which was nice. The amount of sun was really dependent on which direction the ship was traveling. This is applicable to all decks I think, our previous cruise in Concierge class on deck 10 had the balcony in shade a lot. I suspect that half the ships balconies are "out of the sun" at some point of the day. I think a little too much has been made of the overhang LOL.

Here is a website that has reviews of each cabin for many ships. http://deckplangenius.com

Gonzo...I see you are hooked on suites like we are now! It's true when they say "no going back"...we are headed next on Azamara in their version of an S1...

To answer the OP, the S2's are nice...if you want to save the $900, I don't think you will be disappointed!

Gonzo...I see you are hooked on suites like we are now! It's true when they say "no going back"...we are headed next on Azamara in their version of an S1...

Keeping my wife happy. I am fine with an inside stateroom, but she likes her suites. :D

Ok. Booked the S2 guarantee as it was $1500 less.

It is fall in the Med and fairly cool by November so the size of the balcony is not so important. Are there any BAD S2 suites? The last time I did a GUAR I totally regretted it. Right by an elevator. People were quiet but at least on HAL there was a loud bell to let the hard of hearing know that the elevator had arrived.

I would have traded my cabin for a mousehole in steerage. After a couple days I did get used to it..

I have had many cabins under the food court and not had a noise problem. I think taht they engineer taking that into consideration.

• 1 month later...

I see some of you have had both an S1 and an AQ cabin. Having never had either, I was anxious to try Blu and got a prime hump A1 cabin, but am now leaning toward a Sky Suite.

Obviously, the cabin is nicer, but will I miss Blu? On the Soltice, they've added about 20 more AQ cabins, so I assume it will be even more full and tougher to get into if we're not Aqua.

Gonzo and others, what would you do? Such a wonderful problem to have!

And Deise, you are going to LOVE Azamara.

We've sailed in both S1 and S2 cabins and the S1 is a bit larger, but not really that much. The porthole out the side is probably the nicest difference. The bathrooms are the same and the S2 actually has much more storage space than the S1s. My favorite S2s are aft on deck 12. Some of the S2s on the port side on deck 12 have noise from rolling carts at night. It doesn't bother me but if you are particularly sensitive you may hear some noise.

I would definitely prefer an S2 to an Aqua Class stateroom. You can dine in Blu for $5 on a space available basis. There is almost always space. The suites also receive 1 or two complimentary dinners in specialty restaurants depending on the length of the cruise. 6 or 7 day cruises get one and 8 days or more get two.

Can someone tell me if the S1 suites are always the cabins that have the large porthole window? Thanks if answering.

Yes, the S1s are on the aft corners, and thus have portholes. S2s are along the sides of deck 12, and there are a few in between S1's in the aft on deck 11 and 12.

We loved our S1 on Equinox last month, but will not be disappointed with a smaller cabin next time. We ate in Blu any night we wanted to, had a window table for 2 at 6pm. We had 2 comlimentary dinners in specialties and 3 nights we were too tired and full from excursions which had big lunches to eat dinner other than a trip thru the buffet.

Can someone tell me if the S1 suites are always the cabins that have the large porthole window? Thanks if answering.

S1 are corner suites on all the S-Class ships EXCEPT the new Reflection which has some S1 suites down the side of deck 12 (maybe 11) under the pool deck. I have stayed in the S1 on the Equinox and Silhouette and love the rooms.

I appears that celebrity is looking to get some extra cash from a few passengers by changing some S2 into an S1. Mind you there are more suites on the Reflection than the other S-Class ships. The S1 are under the pool deck (quiet at night) and the S2 under the buffet (some noise as they clean and reset at night) She has been redesigned and will be unique in the fleet.

We had a S2 on Silhouette (aft facing) and loved it. We had the overhang but this suited us as I don't like to sit directly in the sun without any shade.

I wanted to upgrade to a S1 (the difference was not much after a couple of price drops) but my partner was worried about the pole in the middle of the S1 suites.

Just something else to consider.

There is a fairly significant difference in price in the sailing I am looking at. Is the location differnece worth $900?

Hi We have booked the S2 on the Silhouette because of the position we knew it was more money but thought the views maybe better.

We have booked an S1 on Eclipse next year we love our aft cabins but this will be our first suite, they must be really popular as we normally like to be a bit higher up but could only get deck 9 so hopefully it will be okay. We only really booked it because we are doing a b/b so with almost a month on board thought it would be good to have a bit more space, they also gave us some great on board credit so we decided to go for it.

Archived