Hotel near port in Galveston with airport shuttles?

teecee89

I found out that the 2 hotels near Hobby airport no longer offer the free transfer to the port. I can not find a hotel on Galveston Isle that has a shuttle from Hobby to the hotel. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks!!

Unfornuately because of the distance from the Houston's airports to Galveston, none of the hotels have any shuttles from/to the airport. You will use a limo service or Super Shuttle to get from the airport to Galveston. The hotels in Galveston will provide a shuttle to the port. I have been researching this for a while as we have a group of 11 cruising in March 2013.

Galveston is certainly not the best for making it easy to cruise! The cheerleaders like to tell you how wonderful it is. However, car rental is out and getting to and from the airports in Houston is a pain and pretty expensive. You would think with all the ships being added, the car rental companies would do something. Transportation is a major problem.

Good luck.

I found out that the 2 hotels near Hobby airport no longer offer the free transfer to the port. I can not find a hotel on Galveston Isle that has a shuttle from Hobby to the hotel. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks!!

I called Country Inn at Houston Hobby the other day after I read on these boards that they have a package to stay 1 night with roundtrip transfers to/from the port for $200. When I called the front desk told me they no longer sell these but if I already had a room booked under this package they would honor it. Then he told me to talk to the shuttle manager and handed the phone off. The manager told me that if I book a room he would transfer my party to/from the port for $120 roundtrip plus the cost of the room so $200 total.

I haven't booked a cruise yet, looking at next year but want to figure out all of the logistics first. The shuttle driver said when I was ready to contact him and he gave me his number that he would book the room and schedule my transfers.

You could probably call and ask to speak with the shuttle manager and ask about getting to the port. See if he offers the same thing to you. Just a thought in case you are running out of options. But my concern was what happens if this man gets fired or quits prior to my trip and I'm stranded with no transfers? I'm looking at April 2013, not sure when your trip is.

Good luck.

We fly into Houston Hobby a day early and take the hotel shuttle to an airport hotel. The next morning we take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and take the Carnival Shuttle from Hobby to the pier in Galveston.

I know this doesn't help if you want to stay in Galveston, but it's an option.

We fly into Houston Hobby a day early and take the hotel shuttle to an airport hotel. The next morning we take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and take the Carnival Shuttle from Hobby to the pier in Galveston.

I know this doesn't help if you want to stay in Galveston, but it's an option.

This is what I was thinking of doing. I have the Four Points Sheraton near the aiport on hold. But then I was reading that there wasn't much in the area as far as restaruants and still had that 45 minute drive the next day. I was thinking of getting a hotel close to the port, heard there are dining options close by plus the next morning we won't have a long drive ahead of us.

Thank you all for your suggestions :)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have also been searching for options to the Galveston cruise port. I'd prefer to rent a car to explore the area, but can't seem to find a car rental company that will allow me to pick-up at the airport and drop-off at the cruise terminal. Seems my only other economical options are to use the cruise line transfer or a car/shuttle service. Any other options/ideas?

We just returned from a cruise and transportation from Houston to the Port of Galveston is a real pain.

I thought I had it all figured out by using a car service to pick us up at the airport the day before, stay overnight in Galveston, and have the same company pick us up from the port to take us to the airport. Needless to say after waiting outside for our driver for over an hour, he never showed. When I called the company they said he would be a few more minutes. I called back 10 minutes later and was told he would be another 30 minutes. Since my flight was leaving in less than 2 hours I had to hurry up and grab a cab, which then had to stop for gas before taking us to the airport. We barely made it in time to check our bags and get through security. I had 10 minutes before we had to board.

If we ever take a cruise out of Galveston again, I would drive the 11 hours it takes to get to Galveston before I EVER fly in again. Houston/Galveston really needs to do something about the tranportation issue.

And since we love cruising so much and plan on a minimum of two cruises a year, I guess it is time to find a different port. And while researching the tranportation for this last cruise, I discovered I am not the only one who had a problem. Wake up Houston/Galveston!

We just returned from a cruise and transportation from Houston to the Port of Galveston is a real pain.

I thought I had it all figured out by using a car service to pick us up at the airport the day before, stay overnight in Galveston, and have the same company pick us up from the port to take us to the airport. Needless to say after waiting outside for our driver for over an hour, he never showed. When I called the company they said he would be a few more minutes. I called back 10 minutes later and was told he would be another 30 minutes. Since my flight was leaving in less than 2 hours I had to hurry up and grab a cab, which then had to stop for gas before taking us to the airport. We barely made it in time to check our bags and get through security. I had 10 minutes before we had to board.

If we ever take a cruise out of Galveston again, I would drive the 11 hours it takes to get to Galveston before I EVER fly in again. Houston/Galveston really needs to do something about the tranportation issue.

And since we love cruising so much and plan on a minimum of two cruises a year, I guess it is time to find a different port. And while researching the tranportation for this last cruise, I discovered I am not the only one who had a problem. Wake up Houston/Galveston!

Thanks for information!!!!

What was name of company?

It's not the city or port of Galveston .

It's an individual company

Either from Galveston

Or somewhere else .

Lets weed them out

With a name and not use them.

Edited by ssb

"It's not the city or port of Galveston .

It's an individual company

Either from Galveston

Or somewhere else" .

You are correct but both Houston and Galveston benefit by the cruise industry and should make it easier for visitors who are not familiar with the area to find transportation to and from the airport. Better yet....maybe the two cities could fund some sort of bus and/or other transportation system.....between Houston and Galveston. I can only imagine the millions of dollars both cities receive in relation to this industry and should benefit even more if it was easier (and cheaper) for cruisers to be able to get to the port.

Anyway.....it was Z limousine, although they did give me a credit back. It was just a real pain trying to figure out transportation and I thought I had everything taken care of. By the time we got back I didn't have enough cash left for the cab and my credit card for whatever reason wasn't working. Luckily I had a back up card for emergencies.

I would recommend just grabbing a cab. The cost (less the amount spent for stopping for gas) was about $105 plus a tip. They are already there waiting to take you directly.

• 1 month later...
I called Country Inn at Houston Hobby the other day after I read on these boards that they have a package to stay 1 night with roundtrip transfers to/from the port for $200. When I called the front desk told me they no longer sell these but if I already had a room booked under this package they would honor it. Then he told me to talk to the shuttle manager and handed the phone off. The manager told me that if I book a room he would transfer my party to/from the port for $120 roundtrip plus the cost of the room so $200 total.

I haven't booked a cruise yet, looking at next year but want to figure out all of the logistics first. The shuttle driver said when I was ready to contact him and he gave me his number that he would book the room and schedule my transfers.

You could probably call and ask to speak with the shuttle manager and ask about getting to the port. See if he offers the same thing to you. Just a thought in case you are running out of options. But my concern was what happens if this man gets fired or quits prior to my trip and I'm stranded with no transfers? I'm looking at April 2013, not sure when your trip is.

Good luck.

They are still offering it on their web site:

http://www.countryinns.com/offers/3035787

Good luck.

For the same concerns you have, I cancelled this reservation and just booked a hotel in Galveston. Renting a car for the duration of the cruise and leaving it at the hotel we are staying at with free parking is still cheaper than cruise transportation to the ship or shuttles, limos or taxis.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if there is any new information on this subject. We are cruising next March and are wondering how we will get to Galveston from the airport. Do any hotels in Galveston provide shuttles to their hotels? Hoping for complimentary, but will pay fee if needed.

Thanks in advance,

essgee

Feel like a cheerleader for both these companies, but used one in May and other ( booked by daughter) in June. They were both fantastic, reliable and professional. Maybe not the cheapest but would rather feel safe and secure in knowledge they'd be in agreed meeting place at agreed time.

Texas Airport Transportation......Dwayne Johnson. ......$120 IAH to Galveston...2 pax. Shared ride

Pink Taxis Galveston....John and Tate.......$160 Cruise port to IAH..2 different terminals, short stop at NASA.....4 adults, 1 child.