Royal Caribbean Does Not Honor Agent Quotes

Dear Mr. 3 Something;

Misunderstanding 1. I never said RCI sucks and I never intended to illicit negative feelings towards them. I have taken all of their Eastern and Western Mediterranean and Caribbean cruises and have had wonderful experiences for a mid-level cruise line. Buddy, you are Dead wrong there!

Misunderstanding 2. The agent was very surprised herself and kept repeating that she had never seen prices that low! She stated that the prices for TWO cabins were cheaper than the interior cabins. (Am I mising something but, when you call RCI and get their agent, why are people stating that this is a 3rd party agent?) Yes, again, both conversations were recorded which, I assume, this is being looked into.

Misunderstanding 3. You are no lawyer and do not understand what constitutes a contract. Maybe words like "mistreatment" are emotive but as stated, this has struck a nerve.

Misunderstanding 4. The customer agent is an agent for RCI. It's not like I called my Amex Platinum and asked them to book the cruise. Are you bonkers. How could you even began to think of a legal basis that severs the RCI agent from her employer. She is a defacto representative of RCI.

I am fully aware of my options and the only reason I just don't go for a private charter is that my mother will enjoy the group activities and getting dressed up. Regarding why I don't pay for everyone, some people are very sensitive about you (myself) "footing the bill" . Sure you get it.

I take it that this blog is to insult and humiliate people. If that is the case, you do a good job. I hope no one finds themselves in this position, that's it!! My family are strong people and despite the hatred we have had to endure for generations being African American in this country, this past few months will hardly break any of us. You keep moving forward.

If RCI called and just said "hey, we made a mistake about the price, we value you as a customer but we can't lower our prices to what was stated", I would have moved on. But.....

Yeah sure :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And of course play the racist card:rolleyes: You´ve certainly lost me here - oh wait, nope you had lost me at the first post already.

I now realize that attempting to warn others of questionable business practices is a complete waste of time and effort.

Had you come here without the attitude, calmly presented your situation and asked for advice, you might have gotten a better reception. Instead, your first post out of the gate was negative and rude. Then you played the race card - not us, not the RCI rep, but you yourself. That is one thing I find disturbing.

Most "complaint" threads generate a lot of replies and advice, but for some reason this one didn't. I find that interesting, yet telling.

But... best to you and God bless as well.

I now realize that attempting to warn others of questionable business practices is a complete waste of time and effort. Not to mention the random insults that gets thrown at you. Several have made good points

• If it is too good to be true, it is! & If you don’t get it in writing, you don’t have any ground to stand on. – Lessons learned despite the agent repeating that she had never seen such low prices and that the cabins she pulled up were much cheaper than the interior cabins at that specific time! I should have still checked the invoice but going to one of my more updated laptops that has the Abobe Reader Version 10 built in.

• Businesses don’t have to honor misquotes – I didn’t know that. Very disturbing.

Since this has become an excruciating repetitive exercise, I will bow out. This is just a waste of time. I am a reasonable person and would be more than happy to discuss some type compromise with RCI once they have completed their investigation. I also realize that the firm that represents my family is like a pebble compaired to the legal team at RCI but you know, you can’t go through life being taken advantage of and stomped on. Maybe others feel like what ever the Big Man says is the final word. I don’t.

I hope none of you experience anything like this (not like it’s the end of the world) and God bless! Now, most of you can go back to eating your young and sharing your contempt...but not with me.

Contempt for happiness is usually contempt for other people's happiness, and is an elegant disguise for hatred of the human race.

Bertrand Russell

Didn´t get the sympathy you were looking for, eh?

I now realize that attempting to warn others of questionable business practices is a complete waste of time and effort. Not to mention the random insults that gets thrown at you. Several have made good points

• If it is too good to be true, it is! & If you don’t get it in writing, you don’t have any ground to stand on. – Lessons learned despite the agent repeating that she had never seen such low prices and that the cabins she pulled up were much cheaper than the interior cabins at that specific time! I should have still checked the invoice but going to one of my more updated laptops that has the Abobe Reader Version 10 built in.

• Businesses don’t have to honor misquotes – I didn’t know that. Very disturbing.

Since this has become an excruciating repetitive exercise, I will bow out. This is just a waste of time. I am a reasonable person and would be more than happy to discuss some type compromise with RCI once they have completed their investigation. I also realize that the firm that represents my family is like a pebble compaired to the legal team at RCI but you know, you can’t go through life being taken advantage of and stomped on. Maybe others feel like what ever the Big Man says is the final word. I don’t.

I hope none of you experience anything like this (not like it’s the end of the world) and God bless! Now, most of you can go back to eating your young and sharing your contempt...but not with me.

Contempt for happiness is usually contempt for other people's happiness, and is an elegant disguise for hatred of the human race.

Bertrand Russell

why do you have to be so rude?

I have to say, if the original call was indeed recorded and confirms that the agent did in fact quote (correctly or incorrectly) the price the OP is stating, they R.C. should just suck it up and honor. Not because they are legally obligated (which they are probably not) but because it's just good customer service. I used to be the supervisor over the quality assurance department in a call center. My team was the individuals listening to the recorded calls. I can assure you we paid for things that we were not obligated to pay out of customer service. Heck, we even paid a non customer about $80 because of a computer glitch that faxed someone many times. Sometimes it just makes business sense to satisfy the customer.

I have to say, if the original call was indeed recorded and confirms that the agent did in fact quote (correctly or incorrectly) the price the OP is stating, they R.C. should just suck it up and honor. Not because they are legally obligated (which they are probably not) but because it's just good customer service. I used to be the supervisor over the quality assurance department in a call center. My team was the individuals listening to the recorded calls. I can assure you we paid for things that we were not obligated to pay out of customer service. Heck, we even paid a non customer about $80 because of a computer glitch that faxed someone many times. Sometimes it just makes business sense to satisfy the customer.

You are talking about $80...The OP is talking about thousands of dollars. The OP had already priced the cruise, so when the OP heard $832 pp, the OP knew it was too good to be true...and it is not true.

If it happened, the agent needs more training (or a different job), but the agent's math error does not give the OP a right to bully RCL into giving four people half price cruises...the invoice was correct, even if the OP did not see fit to open it. speaking of which, I have an older desktop and a very old laptop that both open RCL invoices without any adobe software upgrades, so I am puzzled by the OP's claim that the invoice would not open...sounds bogus to me...

You are talking about $80...The OP is talking about thousands of dollars. The OP had already priced the cruise, so when the OP heard $832 pp, the OP knew it was too good to be true...and it is not true.

If it happened, the agent needs more training (or a different job), but the agent's math error does not give the OP a right to bully RCL into giving four people half price cruises...the invoice was correct, even if the OP did not see fit to open it. speaking of which, I have an older desktop and a very old laptop that both open RCL invoices without any adobe software upgrades, so I am puzzled by the OP's claim that the invoice would not open...sounds bogus to me...

I'm not making any statement on what the OP did, didn't or should have done. I'm only speaking to the issue of if RC has a taped conversation in which their agent did relay that price, they should honor it or at a minimum, give some type of good will gesture (OBC). I'm not bashing RC. I'm a very happy Diamond cruiser. I'm not going to change my plans because of this. Every company in the world screws up sometime or another. I just think if they know their employee did screw up they should do more that just say oh well.

And the example I gave of $80 was just what I personally was involved with. As head of Quality Assurance, I had to find calls where the dispute was in the thousands of dollars involving other departments.

Since we are all computer users here who are fluent with using the internet, we all should have observed that Adobe Reader will update itself whenever an update is available and the computer goes on line. And Adobe Reader is a universal product that is free.

Archived