Is Princess still doing Zumba classes?

Sincity

Coral had Zumba in July. I don't know about the Star.

We had some thread here last week on Zumba. When I looked on their web site it showed that every cruise has at least one certified Zumba instructor, When I talked to book my cruise and inquired about it, The agent said it is the most popular activity on the cruise ships.

Anyone know if Star Princess going to Hawaii offers Zumba? Any other exercise classes?

TY!

The Star Alaska cruise I was on in May had Zumba in the Vista Lounge. I didn't go but I know it was crowded. I think it was usually held around 9 or 10 am, but I'm sure that depends on the itinerary.

• 11 months later...

Just off Emerald yesterday. We had two certified Zumba instructors. Ryan, the assistant CD, and Alicia (one of the CD's activities team).

Classes were twice a day on sea days in Club Fusion and very well attended.

Just off Emerald yesterday. We had two certified Zumba instructors. Ryan, the assistant CD, and Alicia (one of the CD's activities team).

Classes were twice a day on sea days in Club Fusion and very well attended.

You were lucky to have Ryan teach the class. He is an insane / awesome Zumba instructor. I am sure he put you through the paces. He is also a terrific Asst CD. Hoping to see him and/or Nat again in December on the Regal.

You were lucky to have Ryan teach the class. He is an insane / awesome Zumba instructor. I am sure he put you through the paces. He is also a terrific Asst CD. Hoping to see him and/or Nat again in December on the Regal.

Ryan is indeed a terrific Asst CD. He was more ubiquitous than Billy London (the CD). Ryan deserves a promotion soon but his Zumba classes are a bit self indulgent. Too much talking and acting up according to my wife. I watched him once and he was unrecognisable from the Asst CD I was used to seeing around the ship.

Alicia (Australian) was a laugh. A real asset to the activities team. I never saw her Zumba class though.

No Zumba classes on the Caribbean Princess back in June. They did have a dancercize class, but DW said it wasn't the same. DW teaches 4 classes a week and takes another 4 classes each week, so she definitely was in withdrawals.

Back in November on the Royal it seemed that they were doing Zumba every day. They would have a class in the morning during sea days and one right before dinner on port days. Nat was the instructor and my DW really enjoyed the classes because each one was different. I think most of the classes were held on the aft sports deck.

On our last cruise (Caribbean Princess) , there was no "official" Zumba ,but a dancercise inspired by Zumba. One interesting point about this class was that the instructor went through the different steps before doing the song. It made it easy for newbies to catch on quickly.

We have two more cruises this year , once again on the Caribbean Princess and one on the Regal so it will be interesting to see if the zumba inspired dancercise is the wave if the future for Princess. It is also important to point out that on the Caribbean Princess they did not label the class as a "Princess Pick" as they do with the Zumba classes.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

• 5 months later...

Just came off Emerald from Jan. 18 sailing. One Zumba instructor, asst CD Mark. There were 3 Zumba classes scheduled for the 3 sea days. First 2 were fine. On the last day at sea Mark showed up and abruptly cancelled the class claiming it was too rough. He said if anyone fell down during Zumba he would be responsible and he wasn't going to take the chance. He left the music on and exited the room. One of the passengers led the Zumba class instead of the instructor and no one fell over. We all felt he just did not want to do the class that day.

Just came off Emerald from Jan. 18 sailing. One Zumba instructor, asst CD Mark. There were 3 Zumba classes scheduled for the 3 sea days. First 2 were fine. On the last day at sea Mark showed up and abruptly cancelled the class claiming it was too rough. He said if anyone fell down during Zumba he would be responsible and he wasn't going to take the chance. He left the music on and exited the room. One of the passengers led the Zumba class instead of the instructor and no one fell over. We all felt he just did not want to do the class that day.

This sounds like what my DW would do. She teaches 5 Zumba classes a week and would jump up front in an instant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

left the music on and exited the room. One of the passengers led the Zumba class instead of the instructor and no one fell over. We all felt he just did not want to do the class that day.

DW and I are Zumba instuctors, so that would be fun leading the class.

BTW, just hoping to get out on the pool deck "vamos bailar en sol";):cool:

Edited by Cayoooga

Back in November on the Royal it seemed that they were doing Zumba every day. They would have a class in the morning during sea days and one right before dinner on port days. Nat was the instructor and my DW really enjoyed the classes because each one was different. I think most of the classes were held on the aft sports deck.

Same with our recent sailing on the Regal in Dec. Wife was happy. ;)

Same with our recent sailing on the Regal in Dec. Wife was happy. ;)

My wife enjoyed it on the Regal as well. The Zumba class was the day we were in St Martin and docked alongside the freedom of the Sea and the Zumba Class was being held in the center of the main pool area. Between the extra large video screen that dwarfed the RCCL ships screen , the music and location, it was obvious that the passengers of the Freedom were "Royally" jealous.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I just got off the Crown Princess 4/21/12 and I participated in all 5 zumba classes ! They were held in Club Fusion at 9 am. Toby taught the lessons and was very good. Karen and Nat ( part of the cruise director's staff) just became certified to teach zumba. On one day Toby had Karen teach a few dances to get experience teaching. Then another day Nat ( had been on the Crown for 1 week and from Brazil ) taught a few dances during class . Great attendance and FUN ! For me it was great to do zumba since I do it a lot at home. They also had Bollywood dancing classes in the atrium 3 times. Teacher was great and we had a ball. Karen taught line dancing 3 times. I was pleased to have all the opportunities. Those interested in ballroom they had a lot of those classes too ( cha cha ,tango,merengue, can't remember what else).

Sali

Perhaps off topic (or maybe not)...but it is a sensitive thing to those of us who hold AFAA or ACE Group Exercise Certification....

Zumba issues a license to those who take a workshop. Licensing and certification are different.

Licensing is purchased, and a certification means a person has studied text materials, taken part in practical and written testing and must pass with a certain score to receive certification.

I only say this, because there is often misunderstanding about this. On ships this doesn't really matter as many who teach Zumba are either 1. Pro dancers 2. Already certified as Personal Trainers or Group Exercise Instructors.

Wanted to post this for clarification. And the best combo for a Zumba class 'on land' is to make sure your instructor has either a certification for Personal Trainer or certification for Group Exercise Instruction. These qualifications make for a fun but safe exercise/cardio class. Cheers :D

I only say this, because there is often misunderstanding about this. On ships this doesn't really matter as many who teach Zumba are either 1. Pro dancers 2. Already certified as Personal Trainers or Group Exercise Instructors.

I think the leader on Princess is usually just a random member

of the cruise staff.

Dancers only do extra work for money (like most people).

Like when they help with the shopping talk, or art auction.