Little French Key?

Messunderstood

They built an extra bar between the first time I went in Spring, and the second time last month. They had Big Bamboo Menorahs on each side of the bar building. Free-standing menorahs taller than I am (will post pics when I can). But I digress.

The bartender took good care of me, running a tab since we got there good and early. He added rum floater on request to each Monkey La-La that I had. This made an already good drink even better. I planned on this 'enhancement' costing a bit extra.

We also got bottled spring water from the same bar for my wife and me. Actually everything was brought to us. Gotta stay hydrated!

Somehow, when it came time to settle up and ferry back, our free drink tickets covered it all. The Owner was right there and approved the transaction. Amazing. So the bar's Tip Jar got a good feeding before I tottered off. They are such nice people.

Oh, beer, sorry. I never noticed the price of a bucket of beer. It'll be Salva Vida beer, though, and ice cold.

Forget about worrying about it. They haven't stopped at a store going or coming either time I have gone, I have been interested in picking up the burlap bags of whole-bean Honduran coffee but have not been near the right store (Eldon's) on any of my visits. I wouldn't pick up a six-pack on the way to this private beach.

If on a ship docking at Coxen Hole, then sure, pop out of the port area to the Eldon's that is there, buy the beer and then meet your driver. It's just that it's probably not worth the effort.

Come back to the thread and tell us what you thought!

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Edited by sminfiddle

Has anyone ever ordered from their full food menu? If so, what was offered and how were the prices?

If you plan on eating there, it's not cost effective to purchase the food separately. They still have the same food and the prices are $22 per person for a plate.

If you plan on eating there, it's not cost effective to purchase the food separately. They still have the same food and the prices are $22 per person for a plate.

I'm prepared to spend the same amount, just hoping there was something else to feed 2 extremely picky eaters. I was told they sold hamburgers and such, but wanted to confirm from someone who has been there recently. If not, we will make do-- definitely not going there for the food :)

I'm prepared to spend the same amount, just hoping there was something else to feed 2 extremely picky eaters. I was told they sold hamburgers and such, but wanted to confirm from someone who has been there recently. If not, we will make do-- definitely not going there for the food :)

Hmm, if they did sell hamburgers, I didn't see any. So, that's not saying that they don't. If I was you, I would email them and ask if there are other food options and what the cost is for them. When I inquired, they just told me about the platter everyone receives and the cost and then the cost of the drinks.

I have read reviews on TripAdvisor where people have ordered off Frenchy's 44 menu and it has been shipped over on the Ferry. They have had a bit of wait though. As others have said just email them as they are very helpful. Whatever you do just relax. You'll love it.

They built an extra bar between the first time I went in Spring, and the second time last month. They had Big Bamboo Menorahs on each side of the bar building. Free-standing menorahs taller than I am (will post pics when I can). But I digress.

The bartender took good care of me, running a tab since we got there good and early. He added rum floater on request to each Monkey La-La that I had. This made an already good drink even better. I planned on this 'enhancement' costing a bit extra.

We also got bottled spring water from the same bar for my wife and me. Actually everything was brought to us. Gotta stay hydrated!

Somehow, when it came time to settle up and ferry back, our free drink tickets covered it all. The Owner was right there and approved the transaction. Amazing. So the bar's Tip Jar got a good feeding before I tottered off. They are such nice people.

Oh, beer, sorry. I never noticed the price of a bucket of beer. It'll be Salva Vida beer, though, and ice cold.

Forget about worrying about it. They haven't stopped at a store going or coming either time I have gone, I have been interested in picking up the burlap bags of whole-bean Honduran coffee but have not been near the right store (Eldon's) on any of my visits. I wouldn't pick up a six-pack on the way to this private beach.

If on a ship docking at Coxen Hole, then sure, pop out of the port area to the Eldon's that is there, buy the beer and then meet your driver. It's just that it's probably not worth the effort.

Come back to the thread and tell us what you thought!

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

I definitely will report back

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I can't quite figure out if I got banned or my original post was one of those that got "sucked up" with whatever is going on with the forums, but I do see that notice to repost if possible, so that I will! :D

I won't do the whole write up, sorry it got deleted, but at least the video is here! Please go do this, and I over thought it a lot as it was my first cruise and I knew we had the short 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. time. Just do it, we had plenty of time and it was INCREDIBLE!

Here you go!

Hi, I can't quite figure out if I got banned or my original post was one of those that got "sucked up" with whatever is going on with the forums, but I do see that notice to repost if possible, so that I will! :D

I won't do the whole write up, sorry it got deleted, but at least the video is here! Please go do this, and I over thought it a lot as it was my first cruise and I knew we had the short 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. time. Just do it, we had plenty of time and it was INCREDIBLE!

Here you go!

Loved the video. It looks like you sure enjoyed jumping from the deck. :D

just4steven….I went looking for your post again and POOF it was gone! glad you jumped in because I wanted to ask if you were docked in Coxen or Mahogany? I really just want to know, from anyone that was on a ships schedule of 8-3, how much time did you have on LFK? Specifically, what time did you leave LFK in order to make it back to the ship?

just4steven….I went looking for your post again and POOF it was gone! glad you jumped in because I wanted to ask if you were docked in Coxen or Mahogany? I really just want to know, from anyone that was on a ships schedule of 8-3, how much time did you have on LFK? Specifically, what time did you leave LFK in order to make it back to the ship?

we booked the tour directly with L.F.K got about 41/2 hours we left the island around 1:30 . its a great time just fyi it is a bit of a walk out of the port you walk up a big hill threw the gate then down the hill . they drop you off at the gate.

we booked the tour directly with l.f.k got about 41/2 hours we left the island around 1:30 . Its a great time just fyi it is a bit of a walk out of the port you walk up a big hill threw the gate then down the hill . They drop you off at the gate.

thank you!

A couple questions that may have already been asked in previous posts but. If taking the taxi from the dock to the LFK bus area, HOW long do you have to wait to depart? i am guessing you have to wait untill the walking group all shows up.

Second. In the snorkeling area, if i want to see the reef, is it doable from the island or is it too far to and from? Do you HAVE to take the boat ride out?

Thanks

Michael

A couple questions that may have already been asked in previous posts but. If taking the taxi from the dock to the LFK bus area, HOW long do you have to wait to depart? i am guessing you have to wait untill the walking group all shows up.

Second. In the snorkeling area, if i want to see the reef, is it doable from the island or is it too far to and from? Do you HAVE to take the boat ride out?

Thanks

Michael

I believe they have different taxis there to take you. I know when we went, the guy directed us to another guy with his own car that took us straight there. There wasn't any waiting. I do know that there were other people on our cruise that had also booked the place. Whether they arrived before or after us, I don't know. I just know we didn't wait on anyone.

Yes, people can get in the canoes, go around the island and out to the reef. You don't "have" to take the boat ride out. However, I don't know what you do with the canoe while you're snorkeling (unless you have someone with you and you take turns). When I first started researching this place, I had found a thread that someone said they took the canoe out to the reef and there was a platform out there that they tied it to. Since then, I have never heard anyone else mention it and I have not been able to find that thread that stated it since then. I did find a picture, which you can see something that looks like there might be a floating platform there. :confused:

735609_455534514554216_484263642_o-XL.jpg

Then there are other pictures that don't have the platform in it. (Or at least that I can tell)

1237403_455540314553636_458037626_o-XL.jpg

It's not that far.

Here's a picture of us sitting on the deck that faces it and you can see the boat out there. All the darker stuff you see in front of the deck is the sea grass area and this is the reason you have to go around the island in the canoe instead of going through it. Then it's just right past that.

IMG_0282-L.jpg

Here you can see a canoe that went around the island and are making their way out there.

IMG_0373-L.jpg

Another picture of the boat out there and the canoe that met up with them.

IMG_0474-L.jpg

Here's an overview video that is just awesome and shows the entire place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TqDUfJqkNE

Great pics! Thanks!

I believe they have different taxis there to take you. I know when we went, the guy directed us to another guy with his own car that took us straight there. There wasn't any waiting. I do know that there were other people on our cruise that had also booked the place. Whether they arrived before or after us, I don't know. I just know we didn't wait on anyone.

Yes, people can get in the canoes, go around the island and out to the reef. You don't "have" to take the boat ride out. However, I don't know what you do with the canoe while you're snorkeling (unless you have someone with you and you take turns). When I first started researching this place, I had found a thread that someone said they took the canoe out to the reef and there was a platform out there that they tied it to. Since then, I have never heard anyone else mention it and I have not been able to find that thread that stated it since then. I did find a picture, which you can see something that looks like there might be a floating platform there. :confused:

735609_455534514554216_484263642_o-XL.jpg

Then there are other pictures that don't have the platform in it. (Or at least that I can tell)

1237403_455540314553636_458037626_o-XL.jpg

looking at the 2 picks above, the platform may be there just not quite in the picture. comparing the angles from the shore out looks like it may be just to the right out of the picture.

just guessing tho.

will be there late august we hope.

Michael

looking at the 2 picks above, the platform may be there just not quite in the picture. comparing the angles from the shore out looks like it may be just to the right out of the picture.

just guessing tho.

will be there late august we hope.

Michael

I was just at French Cay last Sunday while I was staying on Roatan. I doubt if you can reach the snorkel area from the beach/swimming area. I went with Brunelli as my guide, it was great being one on one. He found lobster and an octopus, and the coral there is awesome in color.