Why do cruise lines stop in Costa Maya?

CruzinKatz

I would guess they are trying to develop this port but there is almost nothing to do for families with small children.

In this case my grandchildren will be on a Disney ship full of children so I'm posting here. Short of playing in the sand I just can't find anything.

Please tell me I'm wrong and just havent looked in the right place..

Where in the area would you rather go?

In Grand Cayman they will get to see a turtle farm and I believe when I was in Belize on another cruise line there may have been wildlife areas to visit. I just don't understand why a cruise line that is designed to attract children would go to a port that has mainly adult activities.

I'm not really sure where I would go in the area but this is the itinerary leaving from Galveston. I'm not complaining, just curious what activities to plan.

Answer: ROATAN, Honduras - Awesome port.

Costa Maya is not that great. We were there 2 years ago. We took a cab to town (Much destroyed by a hurricane a few years ago). The peddlers were relentless with trying to sell you stuff. It was not clean.

The port area itself is OK. A few shops and a pool. Other than that not much at all.

This year we will get off at that port for about an hour to look around then back on the ship - not worth it IMHO.

You didn't post how hold the children are but this might be an option for you. No charge for children under 5.

http://www.thenativechoice.com/mayan_experience.php

Took one of their tours to the ruins last year. It was a good experience.

Thank you. I have seen that one and sounds interesting. The children are 1.5 & 4 yrs. The baby won't remember much but still needs to be allowed to go along for the ride. I've also read about one area where the kids could play on the beach. I just don't think it's a great idea to put two fair skinned children in the afternoon sun with only limited shade. Sunscreen can only protect so much.

We were there many year ago on Carnival.

Standard dock shops/shopping.

We took a cruiseline tour to a private inclusive beach. Kids had fun playing in the sand, dolphns, watersports and such.

Actually in reflection this was probably our best stop since we had to skip the ray stop due to weather.

16_Costa_Maya_Beach.jpg.0cb47adfd292a970c0a06f57a8f78417.jpg

18_Costa_Maya_Beach.jpg.4bed62e9557a4ab390497ad1eb6b98be.jpg

23_Costa_Maya_Beach_Dolphins.jpg.8cd18d38326d95b065fa4e5829c3dc4f.jpg

24_Costa_Maya_Beach_Dolphins.jpg.c3657e913adb77522250ec055f954f55.jpg

We went in 2006, the kids were 8,7,6 We took a trip to a beautiful beach and spent the day there, kayaking, swimming and playing in the sand. It was a lovely relaxing day. (oh and drinking cocktails in the hammocks!)

:)

Next to St. Thomas, Costa Maya is a favorite port for DS & I. The ruins, the people, the culture, it's an amazing place once you actually get away from the port. (As it is with most ports!!) In fact, one of the reasons I'm most excited about our Magic cruise next February is because I get to visit Costa Maya again.

And I have to say, there are tons of child-less people who happily choose to cruise DCL, or who cruise them because *they* want to, regardless of their kids. My son is 16 now, and we've been cruising since he was 5, but I never chose DCL because they catered to kids -- I chose them because we love all things Disney! :D

If you don't find anything you want to do in Costa Maya, why not just enjoy a nice empty ship? We do that in ports from time to time. The ship is the destination for us anyway. The pools are practically empty, the spa, it's just nice and quiet with most everyone gone. It's like having an extra sea day for me. :)

Next to St. Thomas, Costa Maya is a favorite port for DS & I. The ruins, the people, the culture, it's an amazing place once you actually get away from the port. (As it is with most ports!!) In fact, one of the reasons I'm most excited about our Magic cruise next February is because I get to visit Costa Maya again.

And I have to say, there are tons of child-less people who happily choose to cruise DCL, or who cruise them because *they* want to, regardless of their kids. My son is 16 now, and we've been cruising since he was 5, but I never chose DCL because they catered to kids -- I chose them because we love all things Disney! :D

If you don't find anything you want to do in Costa Maya, why not just enjoy a nice empty ship? We do that in ports from time to time. The ship is the destination for us anyway. The pools are practically empty, the spa, it's just nice and quiet with most everyone gone. It's like having an extra sea day for me. :)

We are one of those childless couples! We cruise DCL a lot as well as other cruise lines from time to time. But we prefer DCL. As a matter of fact we will be boarding the Fantasy in 7 days! While we have never been to Costa Maya, after doing the research here on CC it is the port we are most excited about visiting! But ...we are a childless couple! :)

I hope you all have fun with whatever you decide to do! An empty ship is a lot of fun too!

Thank you. I have seen that one and sounds interesting. The children are 1.5 & 4 yrs. The baby won't remember much but still needs to be allowed to go along for the ride. I've also read about one area where the kids could play on the beach. I just don't think it's a great idea to put two fair skinned children in the afternoon sun with only limited shade. Sunscreen can only protect so much.

Visiting Maya Chan provided shade, hammocks, food, cold drinks, and sand time in the shade for us. DH and kiddo played with a young kitten while they were there, which always comes up in conversation when they see cats nowadays.

Granted, the town of Costa Maya made DH look at me and say he never wanted to visit Mexico again (he prefers more developed environments) but if you're going to be there, Maya Chan's a great place to make good memories. The hosts are lovely people, too.

Costa Maya is not that great. We were there 2 years ago. We took a cab to town (Much destroyed by a hurricane a few years ago). The peddlers were relentless with trying to sell you stuff. It was not clean.

The port area itself is OK. A few shops and a pool. Other than that not much at all.

This year we will get off at that port for about an hour to look around then back on the ship - not worth it IMHO.

Interesting...we had the opposite experience. We loved Costa Maya and hated Roatan. We took a cab tour of Roatan and found it to be a very dirty, poor place with everyone trying to sell us something. In Costa Maya, we kayaked and had a great time. I guess it all comes down to the excursion/activity planned.

Visiting Maya Chan provided shade, hammocks, food, cold drinks, and sand time in the shade for us. DH and kiddo played with a young kitten while they were there, which always comes up in conversation when they see cats nowadays.

Granted, the town of Costa Maya made DH look at me and say he never wanted to visit Mexico again (he prefers more developed environments) but if you're going to be there, Maya Chan's a great place to make good memories. The hosts are lovely people, too.

Do you know if Maya Chan is bookable day of if not full?

i been to all the ports that the fantasy is going to. i been to costa maya in 2006 on a special western on dcl. but costa maya is the port that made up my mind about doing a western instead of a eastern. when i went there i went to the ruins which was ok but not my cup of tea. when the bus got back to port we just walked around the port area which i thought was the town stupid me. should of did my homework before the cruise but that was my first cruise didnt know any better now i know. going there next month i read it a cheap port to do things like the beach, drinking,massage whatever u like to do. the poorer the place the cheaper things are. and cruise lines probaly get a really good price on port fees.

We're very excited to be going to Costa Maya, because it is our chance to see some excellent Mayan ruins! My DD learned about the Mayans in school this year, so she is excited as well.

I guess if you just want shopping and a beach, there are lots of other ports to choose from.

Are you sure you are thinking of Costa Maya? We were just there a few days ago and it was a beautiful port! Very clean and modern. The shops were great and like ALL shops in Mexico, the shop owners try to get you to come in and spend money but thats typical. We loved it! The Mayan ruined were very interesting but our 4 year old was board. However Belize was a stop on a Royal Caribbean cruise and I would never get off the ship again at that port. It was a 4th world country and a real s**t hole. I have no idea why any cruise line would go there!

You'd see better ruins at Belize than Costa Maya. Better yet, from Progreso, I believe you can get to Chichen Itza. I believe Carnival sails to Progreso, Mx.

Yes, Grandma - it was a nice tour of the ruins out of Progresso - I think it was titled "Merida". Very easy trip - but VERY hot. I don't remember any snacks except coke.

Grandpa Dave

Archived