Are you a "Pier Runner" watcher?

susie8862

We watched the "runners" one afternoon and thought everyone was on board....until we saw some of the ships crew waving frantically at 2 guys...who then started running. They got to the point where they had to show their passports and both were carrying beer. They were told to dump the beer....but they refused....in the meantime folks were hollaring off the ship to get a move on....and then the fellows decided to drink every last drop of the beer they brought with them....then staggered to the gangplank!!

• 2 weeks later...

We watch and laugh, but don't yell. Once we saw a group of 4 college age guys rushing in at the last minute. One was passed out drunk and the other three were trying to carry his limp carcass. They sure did have a lot of yellers calling down to them, but not us...we just laughed harder than usual.

I'll have to admit that I have never watched them. Usually we have early dinner so when we get on board we start getting ready for dinner, but I may have to watch some next month in Cozumel. Sounds/looks "interesting"!

We try to watch- most often from our own balcony if we have one... we got a great view in Cozumel with that long dock. It's mostly just in fun, because you really don't see who actually misses the boat- you're pretty much gone by then. We do egg them on, good-naturedly... several have held their arms up like runners do when cheered on at the finish line. Fun.

On my first cruise we stopped in Curacao so some people got caught by the swinging bridge. Everyone was yelling from the balconies "RUN, FOREST,RUN" was fun to watch but I never want to be in that position. I try to back aboard at least 45 mins ahead of time. Want to be able to relax and watch us sail away!

They'd been drinking of course. The lady was just in a bikini and flip flops.

It amazed me the number of people in Cozumel who re-boarded the ship in just a bikini and flip flops. I mean- did you leave the ship like that?

Some of them clearly had someone in the party who was holding the bag of towels and stuff, but there were a few groups where no one had any sort of bag. One girl would be dressed, the other two in swimsuits only, no one has a purse/bag of any sort. Where were their clothes?

It amazed me the number of people in Cozumel who re-boarded the ship in just a bikini and flip flops. I mean- did you leave the ship like that?

Some of them clearly had someone in the party who was holding the bag of towels and stuff, but there were a few groups where no one had any sort of bag. One girl would be dressed, the other two in swimsuits only, no one has a purse/bag of any sort. Where were their clothes?

I'm never amazed anymore of how people parade themselves around both on and off the ship.........wide loads wearing too little cloth.....cadaverous looking girls/women.........lots of "cracked" up low riders......women with grotesquely inflated "floatation devices"

That's why I never take the forward elevators when people are getting back onto the ship........too many nasty sweaty bodies crammed in.......

Edited by okgirl

It's always nice to be able to watch from onboard, knowing you're good to go

For sure! It is even better to be on the ship across from the one leaving, so you can see both sides of the drama. The ship leaving and a close-up of the pier runners. Fun stuff.

Kevin C

I'm never amazed anymore of how people parade themselves around both on and off the ship.........wide loads wearing too little cloth.....cadaverous looking girls/women.........lots of "cracked" up low riders......women with grotesquely inflated "floatation devices"

That's why I never take the forward elevators when people are getting back onto the ship........too many nasty sweaty bodies crammed in.......

What's wrong with grotesquely inflated "flotation devices"? :D

On our last cruise, we finally witnessed people being left at the dock in Jaimaca. Two couples pulled up in a taxi, wanting to let in to the gates closest to the pier, but they weren't allowed to. They got out and tried to go through the walk thru gate...denied again. All they could do was watch as the ship casted off. I couldn't believe what I saw, never thinking they would actually leave without everyone, but now I know it does happen. After we were away from port, logic sank in....Custom's had already let their employee's start leaving, so I can understand why it happens when people are late coming back.:o

I'll admit...I like watching...I just pray that I never become a participant!:eek:

Exactly! We always get back early and this is why I limit my drinking off ship (which is a bummer in Cozumel since we go to an all-inclusive).

My DH and DS love watching from the balcony in Cozumel. I think its one of DSs favorite activites on the ship.