Are you a "Pier Runner" watcher?

susie8862

We too have become pier runner watchers, but not yellers. Last cruise leaving Cozumel, we were 30 or so minutes past departure time and had not yet left. We had a perfect view of the officers in the wings of the bridge and they too were pier runner watchers. However, they were pacing nervously back and forth with arms crossed across their chests. The passengers, about 12 - 15, finally arrived 45 minutes late to board the ship. I have a feeling it was a late Carnival excursion. The reason for the nervous pacing was that Hurricane Rina was approaching! As soon as we were underway the Captain announced we would not be going to Panama or Cost Rica. It was remarkable how quickly the gorgeous azure skies turned to gray ugly clouds with water spouts visible off the ship!:eek: We basically got out of there just in time!!

• 4 years later...

I watch them all the time and make no excuses for it...but I don't think anyone has tried it my way...from ground level.

Last time I cruised my RCCL shared the pier with NCL. You could tell from above that NCL was getting ready to go and I knew that I had at least 2 hours since I didn't go on any excursions. Anyway, I got off and hung around the pier and, sure enough, they stated to arrive. It was like being against the rail at a horse race.

Two couples didn't make it and, while I kept my distance, you could hear the language between the husbands and wives, the workers, etc. Then it dawned on them that their passports sailed away with the ship.

RUN FORREST RUN!!

Yep, been there done that......the running that is (Dang Cozumel). It was my husbands and my first cruise. We met a group that we met on the ship at Carlos and Charlies......and the rest as they say is history. We made it back to the ship in the nic of time, all of us running and one of us pushing a girl in a wheelchair. (She was legitimately physically handicapped.) We were young and dumb. Now those days are far behind us. Yes, we watch and cheer them on!!!!

Oh the memories. :);)

Our last cruise that stopped in Nassau there was a couple with a 7 to 8 year old child and apparently the Mrs. was a trophy...Lordy was she a trophy...surgically enhanced flotation devices and a pair of shoes a stripper wouldn't wear to work in...a bikini so tiny it's a miracle she wasn't jailed for indecent exposure and hair that was jacked up to the sky ...she sauntered down the pier... we had a Disney ship beside us and people were telling them to get on the ship! She apparently thought folks were screaming at her because she was so hot:rolleyes: ROFL boy you should have seen her trying to run in those shoes once she figured out YOUR SHIP IS LEAVING! Her husband was trying to drag her while she was running and the child was like a bouncing ball..all over the place. Had it not been for some nice dude in a golf cart they'd have been sitting in the Bahamas. I am paranoid about being left so I seriously watch my time.

• 3 weeks later...

We walked the pier in St Thomas with a couple whose ship left them in January. Security told them the ship had waited a half hour. Their children were onboard and security told them they were fine with the other relatives onboard. Evidently they were part of a big group. I felt terrible for that lady screaming for her children and crying, but I agree with most of you. If I am not onboard an hour early, I get nervous.

We walked the pier in St Thomas with a couple whose ship left them in January. Security told them the ship had waited a half hour. Their children were onboard and security told them they were fine with the other relatives onboard. Evidently they were part of a big group. I felt terrible for that lady screaming for her children and crying, but I agree with most of you. If I am not onboard an hour early, I get nervous.

If she spent a little of that energy in trying to get back to the ship on time, it might have been a better scenario. They should also send her a bill for any charges assessed to Carnival for the ship staying later than planned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If she spent a little of that energy in trying to get back to the ship on time, it might have been a better scenario. They should also send her a bill for any charges assessed to Carnival for the ship staying later than planned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I thought it was odd that they were sauntering next to us instead of running!!

I thought it was odd that they were sauntering next to us instead of running!!

Have seen many and for some reason that is not uncommon. Last year on the Breeze in Ocho Rios two continues to run when the hoots stated from this on the ship and two slowed down to stroll. That changed when they pulled in the gangway and the ground crew began to cast off lines.

Sent from my iPhone

While we don't cheer/jeer, we love watching the pier runners. I am disappointed when we are facing away from the pier when we dock! Never fails to amaze me how some people just don't give a blast that they have inconvienced a few thousand people as they take their time strolling back to the ship- even when they are one hour late! I think people sometimes go by their cell phone time- which resets/coordinates to island time - so they end up either coming back early, or late, depending on which way the clocks are set on that island- not ship time.