a few hints & observations TA 04 27 12

dfwguy

Hi Underwatr, Yes, we also recieved the menu packet for each of our voyages, but from what I understand, the practice has changed. Perhaps because so many packets were found in cabin waste paper baskets?
As peppern has suggested, currently they print daily menus anyway so all that saving them for the passenger might do is shift the time/place at which they're discarded.

As I've around here that since the executive chef has to manage food costs based on average passenger ticket revenue (which varies from voyage to voyage), it would seem impractical to change to a repeated set of dinner menus.

Could somebody with a better memory than mine remind me, did we not used to get the menus presented in a kind of proper printed cover (as opposed to an obviously photocopied one)? I have a vague recollection of this happening and of the actual menu pages being rather higher quality paper. Not that I'm advocating a return, we never take ours although sometimes the waiters seem quite crestfallen when you refuse them. They do have the job of signing all the damn things. So there we are folks Cunard is definitely going to Hell in a handcart. Rubbish labels, rubbish menus, no plastic wallets, no plastic key cards, sometimes no posted pre cruise docs whether you go green or not. Can't get a pre-boarding G&T in the terminal. Casual dress in the lido after 6pm. Last time I was on board hardly any of the crew knuckled their forehead as I passed.

Where will it all end?

Where did I put that Thompsons' brochure?

Shiny

Could somebody with a better memory than mine remind me, did we not used to get the menus presented in a kind of proper printed cover (as opposed to an obviously photocopied one)? I have a vague recollection of this happening and of the actual menu pages being rather higher quality paper. Not that I'm advocating a return, we never take ours although sometimes the waiters seem quite crestfallen when you refuse them. They do have the job of signing all the damn things. So there we are folks Cunard is definitely going to Hell in a handcart. Rubbish labels, rubbish menus, no plastic wallets, no plastic key cards, sometimes no posted pre cruise docs whether you go green or not. Can't get a pre-boarding G&T in the terminal. Casual dress in the lido after 6pm. Last time I was on board hardly any of the crew knuckled their forehead as I passed.

Where will it all end?

Where did I put that Thompsons' brochure?

Shiny

Shiny,

Your memory still has room for a few more G & Ts and martinis. Yes, we used to get the voyage menus in a printed binder on QE2. As the resident pack rat (my Wife is like you and throws everything out) I kept mine for years, finally selling them to an antiques (??) dealer. And yes, I miss the bar service in the terminal while awaiting call to the photo queue to board.:eek:

Talking of menus and waiters etc. What is quite remarkable is how some of the staff remember one. In 2010 on the first night when the waiters take you to your table we got a very warm greeting and the waiter said 'Good to see you again Madam, Sir.' I of course had absolutely no idea we had ever met before but my wife said she remembered him but not which voyage. So we asked him. It turned out he had been our bus boy on the QE2 8, I repeat, 8 years before. Now whether they get a list of names and voyage history I don't know but if they don't that is a remarkable feat of memory. Last December after disembarking, as we were staying in Soton overnight we went to the big shopping mall where we were accosted by a small group of lads who said they hoped we had had a good trip and wished us a Merry Christmas and Happy new Year. My wife told me they were wait staff, but not from our table but from the next station along. Conduct above and beyond... Amazing.

Shiny

Thank you for all these tips... very helpful. One question please,what if any is the difference between Brittania Club dining and the main dining room. I have noticed that it only has a Your Time Dining and one sitting. Thank you!!

S.H.R.

We seriously considered Britannia Club. Yes, you have your own dedicated table for all three meals and may dine at the time of your own choosing. BC is an enclosed dining area , I believe all tables would have some sort of ocean view (some , more than others).

We were a table for two- and noticed no tables-for-2, majority of tables in Britannia Club seemed to be in the 6/8 range.

Speaking strictly for ourselves, I am happy we opted against BC, but this is strictly a personal bias (table for 2 issue).

It turned out he had been our bus boy on the QE2 8, I repeat, 8 years before. Now whether they get a list of names and voyage history I don't know but if they don't that is a remarkable feat of memory. Shiny

I can't come close to eight years (!) with my story, but on my second voyage on QM2 (I'd had a cruise on QE2 in the meantime) I recognised a waiter at the Terrace Bar who had served me in the Commodore Club 13 months before. Before I could say a word he said "welcome back on board Mr ... can I get you your usual?" I was impressed!

I can't come close to eight years (!) with my story, but on my second voyage on QM2 (I'd had a cruise on QE2 in the meantime) I recognised a waiter at the Terrace Bar who had served me in the Commodore Club 13 months before. Before I could say a word he said "welcome back on board Mr ... can I get you your usual?" I was impressed!

One time I was resident on a table when a couple joined on changeover day. The sommelier remembered them from their voyage a year previously and then produced the wine list and directed them to the wine they drank last time. They did say yes once they had recovered from the shock, I can still remember the sound of their jaws hitting the floor.

Thinking it a fluke, I met the same sommelier quite by chance in the Britannia restaurant a year later and although he was not my sommelier this time, he knew my name and regaled me with a list of the wines I drank during that previous trip. Quite incredible since he had no opportunity to refer first to a written record.

M-AR

This is not a full review of our completed Westbound TA 04 27 12. However, I would like to post a few tips and observations that might help optimize your future QM2 experience.

In random order.

Hot bouillon is self served on cold days at the aft pool (Terrace bar)

When disembarking you must turn in your room key.

Coffee is not bad. I brought Starbucks VIA packets and did not use them

Check out the dogs kennels when they have exercise time -deck 12 -aft section

Loved the Canyon Ranch selections - I often ordered a single item from the CR offerings in conjunction to my regular meal and was never,ever dissapointed.

Kings Court (KC)- la Piazza has a shelf that displays daily menus for the venues -including Britannia.

Buffet selections in KC- all 4 restaurants serve slightly different items for breakfast and lunch.

We liked the fruit smoothies and pizza available at Chefs Gally -KC

Lotus serves more seafood and has Asian condiments available 24/7

Hamburgers & hot dogs available at carvery in afternoon

Check out Homer Simpson in the mural - hint- He is on the N. American panel

KC does an afternoon tea -(aprox 3-5)

grab a tray- pick your own scones, finger sandwiches, etc and head down to Wintergarden.

Wintergarden broadcasts important soccer matches on a big portable screen.

We bought a drink card- loved it-Brought our own big insulated 32 oz. lidded cups - Bartenders never raised an eyebrow when we used these for our soda refills.

Connexions -on the 2nd floor also has coffee, juice machines

Juice selection differs in Connexions from KC

Bridge courses must be taken in order (we learned too late) - If taking a course- start on day 1

Planetarium- consenus is "passport to the Universe" show is weakest - Only 2 shows presented on our 7 days.

Planetarium tickets- Show up at connexions desk- 9 am-

tickets are in a self-serve stand and go quickly.

RADA-Unlike planetraium shows, RADA does not repeat shows- We had 2 shows during our 7 days.

State room number is NOT on your key card- for security

Our stated check in time was 3: 30 - we arrived Southampton terminal, 11:30 and were on ship enjoying lunch by 1 pm.

There is no shopping in terminal bldg. I needed aspirin and a few other things - had to purchase on ship.

Limited selection of toiletry items in QM2 shops- if in doubt, bring your own.

Forgot my bowtie- cheapest available was $32 in Mayfair shops.

You must drop off checked luggage before entering terminal-not after.

You can have breakfast items in Sir Samuels.

Saddest, biggest dissapointment.I was truly looking forward to having 7 days of menus as souvenir. Sadly, you must ask waiter at beginning of voyage to save your menus- We did not do this. I am still sad about this.

We brought 3 bottles of our own wine including 1 bottle champagne for our room, and would do it again.

We went to G32 and Queens room during the mornings/early afternoon- grabbed a table by the portholes and had the rooms to ourselves.

I wil post a detailed review later. if anyone has questions, I will be happy to try and answer

Did you carry on your wine or put it in your checked luggage? Can you bring wine to dinner and pay a corkage fee?

I seem to remember sharing a lovely bottle of champagne with another couple the last time we sailed, but for the life of me, can't remember if we brought it with us or purchased on board. We sat in the atrium and drank it.

One time I was resident on a table when a couple joined on changeover day. The sommelier remembered them from their voyage a year previously and then produced the wine list and directed them to the wine they drank last time. They did say yes once they had recovered from the shock, I can still remember the sound of their jaws hitting the floor.

Thinking it a fluke, I met the same sommelier quite by chance in the Britannia restaurant a year later and although he was not my sommelier this time, he knew my name and regaled me with a list of the wines I drank during that previous trip. Quite incredible since he had no opportunity to refer first to a written record.

M-AR

We had an experience on Carnival that was similar. We sailed with two of our children, Meghan and Tim in 1999. When we sailed on a different ship, about 5 years later, WITHOUT the kids, we saw our dining room waiter, Vinu, working at another table we went over to say hello, and he remembered us!! We were in shock! Then he asked how Meghan and Tim were!!!! We just couldn't believe it! Some people have amazing memories!

Did you carry on your wine or put it in your checked luggage? Can you bring wine to dinner and pay a corkage fee?

I seem to remember sharing a lovely bottle of champagne with another couple the last time we sailed, but for the life of me, can't remember if we brought it with us or purchased on board. We sat in the atrium and drank it.

We brought all bottles in our checked luggage. We took a bottle with each evening to Britannia- (I put it in a discrete paper bag from prior Mayfair shop purchase). I put it on table- when Wine Waiter appeared, I pointed to our bottle. He said, we charge a $20 corkage fee, I said that was fine. He never charged us for any of the bottles and we discreetly left a $20 tip on the last night

He said, we charge a $20 corkage fee, I said that was fine. He never charged us for any of the bottles and we discreetly left a $20 tip on the last night
How do I get that wine waiter? Mine have always been unfailing in charging me the fee (and then subtly expecting a tip at the end). Over 6 bottles the corkage adds up...

How do I get that wine waiter? Mine have always been unfailing in charging me the fee (and then subtly expecting a tip at the end). Over 6 bottles the corkage adds up...

Underwatr, is the 15% service charge added to the corkage fee automatically? Thanks, -S.

No. I consider it a service charge on its own.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Just to add that last January, I asked for a pack of cigarettes at the counter in Sir Samuels. The server behind the counter turned around, pick up a pack of cigarettes and handed it to me. When I signed the charge, a 15% tip was automatically included. Same thing happened on another voyage at the Terrace Pool. My guess was that ships computers are programmed to add a 15% surcharge for any charge on a beverage or purchase from any "bar".

:confused:unfortunately, the scones are not what they were. they seemed to change a couple of years ago. on that voyage, i encouraged others to mention their disappointment to the powers-that-be. however, the recipe has not been changed back to the one that was used for years. on qe2, there were stacks of them in the lido for tea. and they were wonderful.

incidently, commercial tomato juice is NOT "healthy."

Personal tastes differ but I rather enjoyed the scones on QM2 last September.

I'll never understand why people who constantly express disappointment with QM2 continue to sail on her.

Excellent point. Vote with your wallet.:D

Thanks for the interesting observations from your crossing. As someone who has always collected room key cards from my various voyages I am saddened that we can not keep them on Cunard. I recently sailed on the Queen Mary 2 after an absence of several years and was disheartened when the ship officer asked for my card as I disembarked. I always get to keep them from other lines that I travel on frequently. Does anyone know why they require you to turn them in? Thank you.

Sometimes one looses a cruise card during the sailing... ;)

Sometimes one looses a cruise card during the sailing... ;)

Indeed, three trips ago my wife asked if she could keep her card and a kind person (whose position I won't mention) said, with a nudge, nudge, wink, wink: "Oh dear, you lost your card. Well, I'll de-activate it and create a new one right away." As others have said, these newer-style cars without a visible photo are of little sentimental value and we don't want any more.

First time on the QM2 5/22/12

I have some crazies questions to ask.

Would it be all possible to get a dinner jacket stream the first day because he needed it for the first night.

If you buy a bottle of wine for dinner and can't finish it would they keep

it for the next night for you or could they bring it to you stateroom.

After check-in at 14:30 what is the first thing we should do. Coming from London on the Victoria Coach Station.

Thanks for listening to me

Carol

Would it be all possible to get a dinner jacket stream the first day because he needed it for the first night.

After check-in at 14:30 what is the first thing we should do. Coming from London on the Victoria Coach Station.

Carol

Hi,

You'll love QM2 on a Transatlantic Crossing I'm sure.

He won't need a dinner jacket the first night, this is an "elegant casual" night, so a "sports" jacket and trousers or ordinary business suit will be fine. If you feel the creases in the dinner suit won't drop out, then you can arrange for it to be pressed for the first formal night (the second night). There are details in your cabin or you can ask your steward (but arrange this soon after you board).

Unfinished bottles of wine will reappear the following evening, simply ask for this to be done.

(You say you're boarding at 14.30? You understand that you do not have to follow the Cunard suggested boarding times? If you were to arrive at noon you could have lunch on board)

As soon as you've boarded, go to your cabin, find a little card telling you which table you've been allocated. Take this card to the restaurant and ask to see the table, if it isn't the size you requested, or you don't like the position ask if you can change. They may not be able to do this, but it is worth asking.

Soon after this it will be time for lifeboat drill I expect, and my routine is this... as soon as the safety drill is over, I quickly return my life-preserver to my cabin and as fast as possible make my way up to the highest part of the ship, in front of the funnel on deck 13. Once the VERY L O U D whistles have sounded departure and the ship eases away from the quay, I walk back along Deck 12 and down the aft most steps to the Terrace Pool and Bar for the Sailaway Party.

If you're on Britannia second seating for dinner (or in Britannia Club or the Grills) you can spend sometime out near the stern soaking up the atmosphere. If you're on first seating in Britannia then you'll have to watch the clock (a tip, if you are on early seating, change quickly before lifeboat drill so you're ready to go straight to dinner after the sailaway).

There are many pictures of the interiors of QM2 and photographs taken on crossings to America via the link below.

Have a great time, ask more questions, Bon Voyage!

Carol

yes, wine waiter will hold your unfinished bottle for you. We had a red and a white going at the same time. Actually, the white lasted 3 days. It was a real convenience. I would bring our own wine again. We brought 3 really good bottles of wine from our local Sams/Costco- Even with the 20 corkage , it would have been a good deal.

We brought 3 really good bottles of wine from our local Sams/Costco- Even with the 20 corkage , it would have been a good deal.
I agree, with the emphasis on "really good wine." If your tastes run around $20 at retail, I think the Cunard label Merlot or Cabernet ($32 or so, IIRC) will pleasantly surprise you for less money.

For a cruise we splurge for wines at $40-50/bottle to carry onto the ship. The $20 corkage fee results in savings from a comparable bottle onboard. (If you like Veuve Clicquot you can buy onshore for half the onboard price and drink it in your room with no corkage.)

Archived