Hotels Barcelona/Rome

PHOENIXfire

Which hotels does Oceania usually offer in Barcelona and Rome. Does anyone have any experiences to share. Regards.

that on our Rome to Rio cruise this coming November there are different hotels based on your cabin category...as in my friends in an Oceania Suite and we in a regular balcony cabin are in different hotels...we are talking 5 stars for them and 4 stars for us! Not sure about Barcelona...I think they use a number of hotels so not sure the names will always matter..just the stars?? and your cabin category?? LuAnn

Which hotels does Oceania usually offer in Barcelona and Rome. Does anyone have any experiences to share. Regards.[/quote

You can look at their website for Rome/Barcelona itineraries, ex:

bcn016.jpg

REY JUAN CARLOS I HOTEL BARCELONA

rom002.jpg

GRAND HOTEL PARCO DEI PRINCIPI ROME

If you book the hotel & trans. on your own it is usually always less expensive...you can choose the stars* you want, whichever cabin you have! When you go on to your RollCall you may find some other couples to share the transfers.

• 2 weeks later...

We are just back from cruise on Marina. We booked pre& post nights with Oceania and won't do that again. The post night in Barcelona was the Rey Juan Carlos as pictured above. It is a lovely - though stark physical facility but I didn't not have a good experience with staff. Also it is a long way from anything (other than the soccer stadium). When we asked the consierge for a restaurant recommendation that wasn't a 15 euro taxi ride he said there were none. The hotel is surrounded by universities and restaurants are all stand up taverns. When we said we didn't care we just were looking for casual good local food he just shrugged his shoulders. We ended up taking taxi to the consierge recommended restaurant. On the way it cost us nearly 20 euros. (taxi driver took a very circuitous route and there was heavy traffic) on the way back it cost 10 euros. When we left the lobby was very busy - looked like cruisers who just weren't up for the adventure of a taxi ride into city. They were all sitting around the very nice lobby looking a bit lost. There are tons of great hotels in this city. Yes, you will have to make your own transfer arrangements but you can save money by creating a group on the roll call or figure you have saved a ton with reserving far less expensive hotel and take a taxi all on your own. That way you are in control. We were part of 3 buses of passengers from ship to hotel. There was a wait just to get the bus into driveway - a wait to get luggage organized, etc.

We're on a Rome to Venice cruise with Oceania and while we booked our own room we are staying at their recommended hotel, the Grand Hotel Parco dei Principi. Did you stay there also? If so,what was your experience?

We are just back from cruise on Marina. We booked pre& post nights with Oceania and won't do that again. The post night in Barcelona was the Rey Juan Carlos as pictured above. It is a lovely - though stark physical facility but I didn't not have a good experience with staff. Also it is a long way from anything (other than the soccer stadium). When we asked the consierge for a restaurant recommendation that wasn't a 15 euro taxi ride he said there were none. The hotel is surrounded by universities and restaurants are all stand up taverns. When we said we didn't care we just were looking for casual good local food he just shrugged his shoulders. We ended up taking taxi to the consierge recommended restaurant. On the way it cost us nearly 20 euros. (taxi driver took a very circuitous route and there was heavy traffic) on the way back it cost 10 euros. When we left the lobby was very busy - looked like cruisers who just weren't up for the adventure of a taxi ride into city. They were all sitting around the very nice lobby looking a bit lost. There are tons of great hotels in this city. Yes, you will have to make your own transfer arrangements but you can save money by creating a group on the roll call or figure you have saved a ton with reserving far less expensive hotel and take a taxi all on your own. That way you are in control. We were part of 3 buses of passengers from ship to hotel. There was a wait just to get the bus into driveway - a wait to get luggage organized, etc.

Thanks for your responces. We are in a A1 concerage level. However based on Oceania pricing and your feedback we will be staying in better hotels with better locations and pay our own transfers for a much better experience and less expense :). Oceania must have really poor agreements with the hotels to not take care of their clients better than they do!!! I understand the concept of paying for convience but with thousands of folks booking per week I feel they could do better for us:(.

Oceania must have really poor agreements with the hotels to not take care of their clients better than they do!!! I understand the concept of paying for convience but with thousands of folks booking per week I feel they could do better for us:(.

They could do better if they needed to or wanted to do better. They are not in hotel business per se and they offer this as a convenience to those that want it (for a significant profit). Just like they could sell their alcohol, shore excursions, spa services, etc at better prices but they don't want to - they want to make money. All of these services are optional, not compulsory - you pay for them if you want them (or not).

I believe that this is where cruise lines make most of their profit - not by selling cruises as such.

They could do better if they needed to or wanted to do better. They are not in hotel business per se and they offer this as a convenience to those that want it (for a significant profit). Just like they could sell their alcohol, shore excursions, spa services, etc at better prices but they don't want to - they want to make money. All of these services are optional, not compulsory - you pay for them if you want them (or not).

I believe that this is where cruise lines make most of their profit - not by selling cruises as such.

Oceania is lucky that not all cruisers are like us who do their homework

and don't BUY the package just for the sake of convenience. It's work to prepare for a trip but worth every penny saved.;)

I recently sailed from Athens to Barcelona on May 2nd, I stayed post cruise at Condes de Barcelona (which Oceania use) however I booked this on my own and saved many $$$$.. I loved the location and the hotel and would stay there in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recommend Albergo del Senato in Rome.:) It's right next to the Pantheon and you can book a room with a Pantheon and piazza view. It's in a very central location also close to the Piazza Navona and Campo di Fiori. We'll be staying there for a second time next month. It's No. 3 on Trip Advisor so check all the wonderful reviews. I've also stayed at Parco dei Principe. It's located close to the Borghese Gardens, which I didn't find particularly convenient, and it caters to large tour groups.

Archived