Best seafood resteraunt in Anchorage

Ready 4 the next 1

DW and I are taking a Northbound on Princess from Vancouver. After we disembark we have one night in Anchorage before heading to Denali. I thought this might be a good time to enjoy some fresh native Salmon. For those of you have been, where would you recommend? Feel free to make recommendations in the Denali area, too.

Thanks, all in advance.

DW and I are taking a Northbound on Princess from Vancouver. After we disembark we have one night in Anchorage before heading to Denali. I thought this might be a good time to enjoy some fresh native Salmon. For those of you have been, where would you recommend? Feel free to make recommendations in the Denali area, too.

Thanks, all in advance.

Try the "Sea Galley"...

Sea Galley is in mid town, but near a bunch of hotels. Simon and Seafort's is downtown.

Bot have good seafood. There is also Phyllis's cafe. It is also in downtown and very popular with the tourists.

http://www.phyllisscafe.com/index.html

Which is more popular with the locals ?...That's where I would prefer ;)

My wife and I have gone to both countless times and prefer Simons hands down. We just ate there a week ago and the salmon with salsa was awesome. They're also one of the few restaurants with a view. If you want to see their menu, go to http://www.simonandseaforts.com

Have to admit a bias since we dated there over 18 years ago and still try to go at least every other month.:D

Well, being a local, it is hard to answer that question. Why? Because, seafood is plentiful in Anchorage. So are restaurants -all over the place.

I have been to Simon's a lot. So much so that it is not so special anymore for me. Sea Galley is convenient to me and has good solid food.

OTOH, seafood is not my favorite so I do not eat it as often. So, I tend to prefer other places...

Keep in mind that in Summer all decent restaurants in town have good, fresh seafood. SO, almost anyplace you go will be great.

I agree with AKman....Most everyplace does seafood fairly well....The secret is not to overcook it. What people might not realize, Simon and Seaforts is excellent, but it is also part of a chain....so if you want a "local" restaurant that is not what you get but it is wonderful. Sacks right off of 4th Ave is excellent...Ginger, Jen's....The visitor center has a local flavor mag that describes all of the restaurants around the Anchorage area..Pick it up...it is free.The larger hotels also have excellent restaurants....do not discount them because they are a hotel....

Thanks everyone for the info. We are staying downtown, so maybe we will try Simons and Seaforts. It may be a chain, but not one we can go to in Atlanta. Are reservations typically needed? We will be there on a Saturday night.

A reservation would be useful especially if you want a window. You can also do that online at http://www.simonandseaforts.com

Well, since we are staying at the Copperwhale, I think we will just have to try out Simon and Seaforts :)

I think we will be able to find the place :D

Careful...it is actually in an office building. THere is a sign out front, but the building does not look like a restaurant.

one place that no one mentioned is Peggy's....a strictly local place....and cheap by AK standards.....If they have halibut on the menu.....they do it well....It is a great place for Breakfast, lunch or dinner....It is "homestyle" cooking and is across from Merrill Field...the general aviation airport...plain looking building...If you like Sushi, there are several places here and because our Asian culture is so entrenched here, Asian...other than Chinese restaurants...are very good....I say Chinese because almost all "Chinese" restaurants here are owned by Koreans...and are strictly Chinese American type of places...The Korean restaurants are excellent here....So are the Vietnamese ones....Also a great place is the Yak and Yeti...on Spenard road...no fish but great food....The Whales's Tail in the Cpt. Cook hotel is excellent also...as is the Crow's nest in the Hilton....

On Friday, May 25, will we have trouble parking for 6:30 reservation?

I doubt it. By 6:00 downtown should be clear of any office workers. The lots around there should have plenty of spaces and even the streets might be open. Being that that is memorial day weekend, there is a mass exodus of people heading mostly south to the Kenai Peninsula. Downtown parking should be a breeze.

On Friday, May 25, will we have trouble parking for 6:30 reservation?

If you don't want to worry about parking, Simon & Seafort's validates 2 hours of parking at the Captain Cook Garage.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived