Balcony and children

CruzinKatz

Do children seem to enjoy having a balcony? I've always been satisfied with the cheapest inside cabin I can find and happy if I get an upgrade to either the Upper or Main deck with a past guest promotion. I've never spent much time in the cabin so it seems like a waste of money. My 18 year old daughter was my cruise partner and she felt like I did about saving money for something else.

Now that I have grandchildren I wonder if a balcony would add that much value to their cruise experience...They are 8, 4, and 1. I know a baby won't care..

Thank you.

I'm sure the kids would like the balcony, but with the balcony and 2 of the kids being so young means keeping a good eye on them. Would be nice to have as the kids could hang out there, with an adult of course, while others get ready to head out.

Good luck with your choice. ;)

I never saw my kid enjoying a balcony by just sitting out there, like we do.

In fact, the whole idea for a balcony for us, was us sitting out there when she was put down to sleep.

But we clearly set balcony rules for her when she started to cruise with us when she was 4, most importantly, no standing on furniture, and no occupying balcony alone.

Do children seem to enjoy having a balcony? I've always been satisfied with the cheapest inside cabin I can find and happy if I get an upgrade to either the Upper or Main deck with a past guest promotion. I've never spent much time in the cabin so it seems like a waste of money. My 18 year old daughter was my cruise partner and she felt like I did about saving money for something else.

Now that I have grandchildren I wonder if a balcony would add that much value to their cruise experience...They are 8, 4, and 1. I know a baby won't care..

Thank you.

I would be a basket case. Yes, of course the rail is high enough, but as the prior poster said...constant watching. They could always pull the chair to the rail and climb up. (just a worry wart I guess)

I would be a nervous wreck with young children and a balcony. Personally, an OV with the big window would be ideal. They could look and enjoy the view plus it would be a good compromise between the inside and a balcony.

:)

On our last cruise we were out on the balcony when we heard a man shouting above us. His 4 year old had locked him out on the balcony and wouldn't open the door! We had to call guest services to send someone to his cabin to let him in.

My boys are 7 and 11...dh and I have decided we will not cruise in a balcony with them due to safety reasons. My youngest also sleepwalks so momma would be a nervous wreck. Even though I'm pretty sure I'd hear him and wake up. Plus, my kids rarely sit still...therefore they are not ones to sit and enjoy the views from the balcony.

The thought of kids on a balcony gives me palpitations! :eek:

Truthfully.. the door leading out to the balcony is very heavy (hence all the slamming you'll hear) and it takes strength to open.. there's sort of a suction feel to it. I'd be really concerned of smashed fingers.

Depending on which ship you're considering.. some have a balcony cabin that is connected to an inside (front). That might be a better option.

My son was 12 when we cruised and he would like sitting outside late at night until he got sleepy. That said, I would never get a balcony just for a kid because they generally do not sit still long enough to enjoy it.

Our kids have been in balcony cabins with us since they started cruising - ages 4/7. They were never left alone out there. I would not hesitate to get a balcony cabin with kids, as it gave us an extra room to go to when they were napping. As we never left them alone in the cabin, we had no fear they would sneak out there when told not to. And the top latch was ALWAYS closed on the balcony door when we were in the cabin. As with any rule, vigilance and enforcement work wonders in making our vacations enjoyable for all.

Kids aren't likely to be excited about sitting on a balcony. But...they are not dangerous! You'd have to THROW the kids off! They will NOT "fall". And, they would never be alone out there anyway, would they???

I personally think Balcony is highly overrated unless you are madly in love and wish to be out there with your sig other

I don't have kids but I can see how it would be nerve wracking to worry about them

Not to mention that "dedicated" smokers seem to be booking balconies so they can puff away so you might be next to one of them

Kids probably would not know the difference...won't they be at Camp Carnival, on the beach, with the family, eating ice cream on the Lido or in the pools?

I never even bother to look out of a window or porthole and I have had both

I have a balcony for Alaska but probably will be on the deck mostly

Don't forget there are only 2 chairs on most balconies anyhow..so with 2 kids old enough and you and ?/ who get the chairs? Can't leave the kids out there alone...

seems a waste

If I were you I would save my money

I personally think Balcony is highly overrated unless you are madly in love and wish to be out there with your sig other

I don't have kids but I can see how it would be nerve wracking to worry about them

Not to mention that "dedicated" smokers seem to be booking balconies so they can puff away so you might be next to one of them

Kids probably would not know the difference...won't they be at Camp Carnival, on the beach, with the family, eating ice cream on the Lido or in the pools?

I never even bother to look out of a window or porthole and I have had both

I have a balcony for Alaska but probably will be on the deck mostly

Don't forget there are only 2 chairs on most balconies anyhow..so with 2 kids old enough and you and ?/ who get the chairs? Can't leave the kids out there alone...

seems a waste

If I were you I would save my money

Sharecruises, you did the right thing about getting a balcony for Alaska. We spent a lot of time having our coffee on the balcony and passing the glaciers. The deck gets really cold and doesn't block the wind.

As for balconies, I enjoy them but it really doesn't matter to me all that much if it is just the Caribbean. We have a balcony for our upcoming cruise with our 14 and 12 yr olds girls across in an inside room. It's easier to get the 2 rooms with two girls that hog the bathroom, blowdryer, and flat iron. Cruisin with the kids started with pack n plays and bunk beds and now their getting their own room. I hope they remember how good mommy and daddy were to them someday!

I think that as long as you are watching young children and have set rules that they are not allowed to go out there on their own as another poster mentioned you would all love it!

I had a different concern about kids and balconies and called Carnival to ask about my 14 and 12 year old occupying a balcony suite side by side with us adults in the other. My kids are very mature for their age and I personally would have no concerns with this, but would feel better in having the balconies so we could easily access each others rooms.

14 year old could occupy the cabin with other kids his age or older, but the 12 year old made it a deal breaker.

They could both occupy a inside room across from us, but I just don't like the idea of having no immediate access to the room and them not having access to ours. (I have tried to come up with reasons why I would have these concerns, but I can't think of any except that I would feel disconnected from them during the trip and vise versa) We have always had connecting rooms with the kids whenever we have traveled so this is just new to me.

Seems right now our options is for each adult to occupy a side by side balcony suite with one of the kids or to get a Family suite which just seems cramped for me.

Decisions... decisions

Our kids have been in balcony cabins with us since they started cruising - ages 4/7. They were never left alone out there. I would not hesitate to get a balcony cabin with kids, as it gave us an extra room to go to when they were napping. As we never left them alone in the cabin, we had no fear they would sneak out there when told not to. And the top latch was ALWAYS closed on the balcony door when we were in the cabin. As with any rule, vigilance and enforcement work wonders in making our vacations enjoyable for all.

We had our first balcony on our second cruise and never went back. DD was 6 and I was never the least bit worried. We followed the same precautions. Even at 6, she enjoyed being out on the balcony with us.

I think that as long as you are watching young children and have set rules that they are not allowed to go out there on their own as another poster mentioned you would all love it!

I had a different concern about kids and balconies and called Carnival to ask about my 14 and 12 year old occupying a balcony suite side by side with us adults in the other. My kids are very mature for their age and I personally would have no concerns with this, but would feel better in having the balconies so we could easily access each others rooms.

14 year old could occupy the cabin with other kids his age or older, but the 12 year old made it a deal breaker.

They could both occupy a inside room across from us, but I just don't like the idea of having no immediate access to the room and them not having access to ours. (I have tried to come up with reasons why I would have these concerns, but I can't think of any except that I would feel disconnected from them during the trip and vise versa) We have always had connecting rooms with the kids whenever we have traveled so this is just new to me.

Seems right now our options is for each adult to occupy a side by side balcony suite with one of the kids or to get a Family suite which just seems cramped for me.

Decisions... decisions

We got connecting balcony rooms when DDs were 8 and 16. There were no issues booking them into the connecting room next to us. Like you, I didn't want my 8-year-old across the hall and this was a great solution. We kept the adjoining door open most of the time, so it was like having a two-bedroom suite.

Not sure what you mean when say "balcony suite." Are you talking about booking two suites or two regular or extended balcony rooms? You could get connecting balcony rooms if they're available. I don't know if they have connecting suites though. If not, you could book an adult and child into each room and then switch when you're onboard--just go to Guest Services to get additional keys.

Archived