Possible ports on the east coast

tanelicus

Wondering if there are places that can be ports on the east coast that are not.

Port of Maryland has size restrictions.

Bayonne has management uncertainties.

NYC is difficult to get in and out of.

Charleston - Canaveral is not that much farther.

Any other options in Virginia, New Jersey, Delaware, or Maryland that currently have shipping ports and are one built terminal for a cruise ship?

Carnival's Fantasy homeports out of Charleston year-round. I wish RCCL would add a ship out of Charleston.

As for Canaveral not being much farther...for me, it's 3 hours to Charleston. At least 9 to Canaveral. I've really enjoyed the cruises I've taken out of Charleston (well, with the exception of the NCL barge they used to port there) and Jacksonville. Nice to be home before lunch!

(PS, thinfool, my parents live in Palm City, just off of Martin Downs Blvd. ;))

We live in the same (general) place, when we are there. (small condo that suits our 'soon to be retired' profile.

Philadelphia and Norfolk come to mind....both originate cruises at different times during the season.

This was brought up at the Captain's Corner on Enchantment when I was on board in December. He said the city had stopped cruises out of Philly. And from what was said then, and what I have read on at least one other review since, RCI clearly have some big issues with Norfolk, for some reason, even though it would be geographically more advantageous for them.

I didn't mean them, I meant me. I am the first to admit to being self centered on this.

Well, no place in Northeast Ohio comes to mind. However, check back in a few million years, who knows what the North American continent will look like then. Perhaphs Ohio will have some ocean front property then.

RCI clearly have some big issues with Norfolk, for some reason, even though it would be geographically more advantageous for them.

Baltimore is a big city near other big cities and has three major airports. Norfolk has a naval yard. Bottom line, lots of people can get to Baltimore. Not so many can get to Norfolk.

Any other options in Virginia, New Jersey, Delaware, or Maryland that currently have shipping ports and are one built terminal for a cruise ship?

Carnival sails from Norfolk, Va. two months out of the year. Norfolk has a brand new cruise terminal that all the cruiselines were begging to be built. Norfolk builds the terminal and all the cruiselines except Carnival bail out.

At one time Norfolk had:

Royal Caribbean

Holland America

Celebrity

Carnival

All cruised from the makeshift terminal that was actually a maritime museum before the new terminal was built. It is a shame that more cruiselines do not sail from here. Norfolk is perfectly located on the east coast with a deep water harbor, no obstructions (bridges and the like), interstate access, a great easy to use airport, plenty of lodging opportunities near the terminal and plenty of parking. Did I mention that the city built a brand new cruise terminal?

Sure wish the other lines would come back to Norfolk, Va.

This was brought up at the Captain's Corner on Enchantment when I was on board in December. He said the city had stopped cruises out of Philly. And from what was said then, and what I have read on at least one other review since, RCI clearly have some big issues with Norfolk, for some reason, even though it would be geographically more advantageous for them.

RCI's big issue with Norfolk was that they could not set cruise fares at a higher price like they can from Baltimore based on the demographics between the two areas. RCI makes more money out of Baltimore because the median incomes in that area are higher. $$$$$ is always the bottom line.

Baltimore is a big city near other big cities and has three major airports. Norfolk has a naval yard. Bottom line, lots of people can get to Baltimore. Not so many can get to Norfolk.

Obviously if you think that all Norfolk has is a naval yard, you have not been to Norfolk in a long time if at all. The metro Norfolk area has almost 3 million people living here between all the cities in the area. We have a very popular east coast beach vacation city here, we do have the largest Naval Base in the world here, we have many large businesses located here, we are served by two commercial airports here, we have a harbor that is deeper and larger than Baltimore with no bridge height restrictions.

It is just as easy to get to Norfolk as it is Baltimore.

Savannah.

The Federal government is spending a lot of money to upgrade the port. Right now it is all cargo, but it could be a wonderful city for passenger trips.

Right off I 95, not too far from Atlanta.

Between Washington, DC and Baltimore, you have areas that have people with high incomes. It is true that there are three airports but Baltimore is the only one that is close to the port. Dulles is in Virginia and Reagan is in DC. You would have to take a shuttle or rent a car to get to the port.

We live in the same (general) place, when we are there. (small condo that suits our 'soon to be retired' profile.

Small world -- I work in Palm City just off of Martin Downs Blvd!

LOL, yes, my parents are in one of the condo complexes with the monarch motif. They are also soon to be retired and their place is pretty small but big enough that my husband and I have a room to stay in when we want to visit. I lived in Jensen Beach for awhile. Nice area.

Well, no place in Northeast Ohio comes to mind. However, check back in a few million years, who knows what the North American continent will look like then. Perhaphs Ohio will have some ocean front property then.

Though it might be theoretically possible through the great lakes and Hudson River.

Port Cleveland or Detroit anybody?

Between Washington, DC and Baltimore, you have areas that have people with high incomes. It is true that there are three airports but Baltimore is the only one that is close to the port. Dulles is in Virginia and Reagan is in DC. You would have to take a shuttle or rent a car to get to the port.

It's no farther to Baltimore from Dulles than it is to PC from Orlando. Both take just about an hour to drive to. We like cruising out of Baltimore.

As for Norfolk, the ships weren't selling the way they needed them too. We used to live in VA Beach (early-mid 80's). The airport in Norfolk isn't exactly right next to the port either.

Yes, we have high incomes (on average) in the DC metro, but we also have high cost of living so really no more disposable income on average than many other places.

It's no farther to Baltimore from Dulles than it is to PC from Orlando. Both take just about an hour to drive to. We like cruising out of Baltimore.

As for Norfolk, the ships weren't selling the way they needed them too. We used to live in VA Beach (early-mid 80's). The airport in Norfolk isn't exactly right next to the port either.

Yes, we have high incomes (on average) in the DC metro, but we also have high cost of living so really no more disposable income on average than many other places.

Yup. As I posted earlier it comes down to what the cruiseline can charge and they will go where they can charge higer rates. I'm not trying to start a class war here, incomes in NOVA, D.C., and Baltimore are higher as is your cost of living. There are also people that have much higher incomes and can accept that higher cost of living making them the target customer for the cruiselines. If I'm a stockholder I want the cruiseline to be as profitable as possible.

No the airport in Norfolk is not right next to the port, it is only 15 minutes away. BWI is not right next to the Port of Baltimore either, it's about 10-15 minutes away too. :)

like a Freedom (dare I say Oasis), Solstice, or Dream class ship in Norfolk, to quote Field of Dreams, "people will come".

I don't think money and demographics matter if there is a better quality ship to draw people in.

Archived