NCL Soda Packages

thebooler

Are there any "catches" to the NCL Soda Package where you get unlimited soft drinks for $6.25 per day? It seems like a good deal considering the cost of drinks on the ship.

Many thanks for any info on this.

Are there any "catches" to the NCL Soda Package where you get unlimited soft drinks for $6.25 per day? It seems like a good deal considering the cost of drinks on the ship.

No catch. Just be aware that it is fountain soda, not cans. Also, you do not have to carry their (included) cup around all day, as long as you have the sticker on your card, they will serve you.

Technically it is for fountain drinks. Although in many places they may pour from a 2-liter or a can. They will not give you the can.

The easiest way to get a drink is to go up to a bar with your card.

They are painfully slow to bring you refills in the dining room. They are usually a little better in the specialty restaurants. It can be very difficult to get one in the buffet.

At the pool or other venues, the servers are more interested in orders for alcoholic drinks, and once they realize you have the soda card they will not stop by as often to check again. Some people might consider that a blessing. That all said, it's still an improvement over a few years back.

I have purchased the card on both of my last cruises. It was easy and quick to get a soda. As stated above, if you do not have your cup with you, it is no big deal.

If you drink more than a couple sodas a day, it is worth the money

The only "catch" to the program is that NCL serves Pepsi products... if you're a Coke fan, you'll be disappointed :(

• Like 1

We always buy the soda package for every cruise. It's a great deal if you drink a lot of soda and we've never had any problems at all with getting drinks.

I'm just wondering (and I've heard this mentioned several times before) why people say if you purchased before you leave domestic waters, you have to pay tax? Is this only in port? Because we've always purchased online or by phone prior to going and never paid tax. So just wondering what is meant by this.

Don't forget that there is a 15% gratuity charged on the soda card AND there will be tax on top of that if you buy it before leaving domestic waters.

It must be purchased at least 2 days before the cruise starts, so I think it's safe to say anyone purchasing this will be doing so before they leave domestic waters.

Edited by thebooler

It must be purchased at least 2 days before the cruise starts, so I think it's safe to say anyone purchasing this will be doing so before they leave domestic waters.

Wait, what? You cant buy it onboard?

This is only true if you're buying it through the Bon Voyage service. Which I don't recommend, unless you're doing it as a gift to someone and you won't be sailing with them.

Wait, what? You cant buy it onboard?

Yes, you can buy it on board. There will be tables set up in the lobby, and possibly outside the buffet. Plus you can purchase it at any bar.

Not true. We were just on the GEM and purchased it after we got on the ship. In fact, while at one of the bars on the 2nd day I saw someone purchase it. They had to pay for the entire 7 days but were still able to purchase it mid cruise. No clue of they had to pay tax or not, but you can certainly buy it after you get on the ship.

Yes, you can buy it on board. There will be tables set up in the lobby, and possibly outside the buffet. Plus you can purchase it at any bar.

Thanks! I was hoping that was incorrect. Im past the 2 week window!

we buy it as we are heading up the gangway each and every time we cruise.

my aunt got one the second day into our cruise last year so you are mistaken!

• 2 weeks later...

Is lemonade or juice included in the soda package. Medically I can not have carbonated drinks or caffine but I don't want to spend a 100 dollars for juice for the week so I'm hoping it's included in the package.

Is lemonade or juice included in the soda package. Medically I can not have carbonated drinks or caffine but I don't want to spend a 100 dollars for juice for the week so I'm hoping it's included in the package.

Lemonade or juice, when available, is available to anyone. Not part of the soda package.

here is the description of the adult package:

Unlimited Fountain Soda

Includes: Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Mt. Dew, Ginger Ale, Tonic water, Club Soda.

The entire cruise must be purchased. Non-Refundable.

Prepaid @ $6.25 per person per day x Cruise days plus 15% gratuity

and applicable taxes

Souvenir Thermal mug included in the purchase of the program

We usually fly in the day before the cruise. That gives us plenty of time to hop over to Walgreens (in Miami for instance) and buy a few cases of sodas or juices each. The $$ savings are well worth the effort of 'dragging' our cases of sodas on board :D (NCL still allows sodas to be brought on board free of charge)

It's as easy as apple pie, no card, no sticker, no 15% gratuity, we simply fill up the mini fridges in our cabins and we are set. Should we run out of sodas (rarely has this happened) we simply buy another case at one of the ports.

Edited by oldguysandgalls

Why don't you recommend pre- buying it as a Bon voyage gift?

If you're buying it as a gift for someone you aren't sailing with, that is fine. If you're buying it for yourself or someone in your party, do it onboard after the ship sails. While in port or from Bon Voyage, NCL has to charge taxes. Once in international waters, they don't have to charge taxes.

If one person in your party buys it what stops someone else from getting a soda with the card also? i cant imagine they want you sharing the card.

You will have a sticker on your card. So the other person will have to borrow your card to do it, or you will have to get the soda for them. They don't want you to share a card, and the intent is that the card is only good for one person. They won't give you more than one soda at a time.

They do look at the card before getting your Pepsi or Sprite. DH always gets a drink sticker because he doesn't care that it's Pepsi. I brought on a 12-pack of Coke in my carry-on (bought the night before by where we were staying) They questioned what was in the bag when it went through x-ray but no problems once I told them.

No lemonade on board at all times. Maybe sometimes. Free coffee and tea all the time.

I packed some Crystal Light in different flavors and threw an empty plastic bottle (large-mouthed so I could put in ice) in my suitcase. Nice change over the days. Also would fill the bottle with ice for when we went on shore excursions so always had cool water as it melted.

I know that many people report that the servers etc are slower or ignore you all together when you have the soda card. On our Jewel cruise, that was absolutely not true. They were always pleasant and if they saw us in line, they would go ahead and grab the cup so they could fill it while making other drinks.

We enjoyed it and still use the cups at home :)

If one person in your party buys it what stops someone else from getting a soda with the card also? i cant imagine they want you sharing the card.

They don't want you sharing and as stated only one soda at a time and they do look at the card (so if John tries to use Ann's card it's pretty obvious, but if John tries to use Terry's card not so much;)).

I purchased the soda cards before leaving Miami two times and didn't get charged tax, so it might be dependent on which port you are leaving from. As for "domestic waters", if by that if it is meant that you must be in international waters that's not necessarily true- you only need to leave the taxing authority's jurisdiction, which is much closer than the territorial limit of the U.S.

• 2 months later...
They don't want you sharing and as stated only one soda at a time and they do look at the card (so if John tries to use Ann's card it's pretty obvious, but if John tries to use Terry's card not so much;)).

I purchased the soda cards before leaving Miami two times and didn't get charged tax, so it might be dependent on which port you are leaving from. As for "domestic waters", if by that if it is meant that you must be in international waters that's not necessarily true- you only need to leave the taxing authority's jurisdiction, which is much closer than the territorial limit of the U.S.

What if you only have the cup & not the card? Lets say for example you bring the cup from a Previous Cruise?