Cruise for $57 per day ?

Just got a promo from HAL yesterday offering 7 day Alaska cruise for $399 (inside room - not including port charges and taxes) What strikes me is that these prices are as low as right after September 11th. Ocean View rooms started at $499 pp. The only thing that is odd is that in past years they have combined a north bound and a south bound cruise as a 14 day combined and I don't find that yet. I enjoy low fares as much as anyone but then again you get what you pay for.

Sorry, folks, and please don't misunderstand but I Hate to read this.

What kind of cruise can we expect to get when people are paying $399?

I think it's worrisome for the quality of our future cruises.

The bargains will come at a very high price. IMO

You will get the same as what other people on the cruise paid much more for.

Book it. Next year demand could outstrip supply and you may wish you had taken that cruise when prices were lower.

We are in the process of booking a fall Med. cruise for the same reason.

Still regretting not booking a 399 or 499 rate for obstructed outside on the Ryndam a few years ago...TA and DH talked me out of it:(

I think in the end it all balances out...except that I never seem to end up with the low low rates:eek:

...The only thing that is odd is that in past years they have combined a north bound and a south bound cruise as a 14 day combined and I don't find that yet.....

That 14 day cruise on the Amsterdam started in 2010 (we were on the first one) and is ending this year from what I understand.

There's been discussion elsewhere on the CC board about that. Folks think that HAL didn't make enough of a profit on the longer cruise so is going back to just doing 7 day Alaska cruises. Too bad. It was an awesome cruise and visited ports not usually visited by Alaska cruise ships. We loved every minute of it.

we, too, got a promo .....but the " tease" was $from $599/ week? Do different promotions go to different peeps?

Sue

Might depend on your location, because yes, they do have different offers for different peeps. :eek: We got the $399 promo email here too.

Until we booked our November cruise early this year, we got lots of HAL emails with promos. Now, nothing. I guess HAL figures we're from the Short Attention Span Theater Troup ... and incapable of juggling the details and finances of more than one cruise at a time.

So sad, as there are many people who book more than one trip a year ... and HAL is missing some of their target audience.

Until we booked our November cruise early this year, we got lots of HAL emails with promos. Now, nothing. I guess HAL figures we're from the Short Attention Span Theater Troup ... and incapable of juggling the details and finances of more than one cruise at a time.

So sad, as there are many people who book more than one trip a year ... and HAL is missing some of their target audience.

I never get anything either. Usually I have no less than 2 cruises booked with them at a time.

we, too, got a promo .....but the " tease" was $from $599/ week? Do different promotions go to different peeps?

Sue

Different states get different promos. We live in

Washington State and that was the promo that we were given.

This type of a promo provides newbees with a chance to go on a 7 day cruise and that sets the hook. HAL set the hook on us with a one night cruise from Vancouver to Portland, and that was 412 HAl sailing days ago.

I never get anything either. Usually I have no less than 2 cruises booked with them at a time.

Have you checked your HAL online profile preferences lately? Maybe you've got your communications preferences turned off for email, snail mail, etc.

Have you checked your HAL online profile preferences lately? Maybe you've got your communications preferences turned off for email, snail mail, etc.

Yes I've checked everything many times. I do get info for my upcoming cruises from them so I know that's not it. It's not a case of me not being aware of how to use their website or my computer. Generally I'm not only price driven so it not a huge deal. I get tons of email from Princess so it certainely seems that you get targeted more when you haven't got a cruise booked with the line.

...snip... I get tons of email from Princess so it certainely seems that you get targeted more when you haven't got a cruise booked with the line.

So very true on the targeting by marketing.

I didn't mean to imply you didn't know how to use HALs website or your computer; please accept my apologies for coming off that way to you. :) Enjoy your upcoming wine cruise too!

So very true on the targeting by marketing.

I didn't mean to imply you didn't know how to use HALs website or your computer; please accept my apologies for coming off that way to you. :) Enjoy your upcoming wine cruise too!

It's not a problem. I know you are trying to help. It's just one time this came up before and one poster was trying to tell RuthC and I that it was an issue with our email and not the cruiseline. I just wanted to make it clear that it's not the case. Personally I get tired of being bombarded from Princess even though I do enjoy the line. HAL really is my cruiseline of choice (for now;)).

Was this for a OW or a RT cruise? A week or two ago, I saw a Princess Alaska cruise, 2 weeks for $799 which was essentially Vancouver-Skagway-Vancouver back-to-back. The Vancouver RT cruise of 7 days was almost just as expensive. I figure its because no one wants to do the OW cruise due to high airfares getting to/from Anchorage.

Was this for a OW or a RT cruise? A week or two ago, I saw a Princess Alaska cruise, 2 weeks for $799 which was essentially Vancouver-Skagway-Vancouver back-to-back. The Vancouver RT cruise of 7 days was almost just as expensive. I figure its because no one wants to do the OW cruise due to high airfares getting to/from Anchorage.

I'm willing to bet it was one way. IMO those cruises are a hard sell because a $399 cruise ends up being well over $1000 with air, maybe even $2K.

We looked at the $399 promotion, but did not book it because of the airfare.

Thats what tempts Seattleites, but even then a one way return air is in the $300s, plus a transfer to Anchorage, so booking a back to back becomes much more attractive. Princess has OS rooms for $899 for a 14 day back to back. Of coarse Floridians have the advantage for Caribbean cruises. We have seen some great deals for European cruises but who wants to sit on an airplane for 9 or 10 hours and pay thousands to boot.

From what I could see, these offers were for one way from Vancouver to Anchorage or reverse on the Statendam or Zaandam. Both northbound and southbound have Juneau and Ketchikan if you do B2B, but one way has Haines, the other Skagway.

I have felt for some time that those who have cruises booked, get few if any e-mails/offers/snail mailings. We have five cruises booked right now and barely hear a peep from HAL for weeks/months on end.

This week I had e-mails from Celebrity, Carnival and RCI.

Nothing from HAL.

ditto

Same here. I checked my HAL profile recently.

Archived