Pre shopping Fort Lauderdale

darceyg

Going to be in FL for 3 days and would like to a bit of retail therapy pre cruise just to pick up some bits and pieces. We are staying in the Hilton so any info re easy location to malls etc would be good. Thanks.:)

Sawgrass Mills Mall is about 20 mins from the airport. If you do go , go early especially on a week-end as the mall parking lot fills very quickly.

It took us about 60 - 90 minutes to stroll leisurely from one to the other

and about 30 minutes when we where done.

There are 3 Hiltons in Fort Lauderdale. Which one are you staying in? None of them are near malls. The malls in Fort Lauderdale are Galleria (moderate to upscale) and Coral Ridge (Target, TJ Maxx, Marshalls)

Biggest question is "are you renting a car?". You can get anywhere in South FL as long as you rent a car. The public transportation isn't nearly as good as it is in other big cities and cab rides get expensive.

3 days in Fort Lauderdale, I definitely recommend renting a car. If you do/are then the Sawgrass Mills Mall is a must visit. They have everything possible, and they also have a Wal-Mart and Super Target as well.

If you are staying by the Hilton near the airport, the Galleria is your closest option, though they are more limited and more expensive. They do have a Macy's though. Coral Ridge is a more budget friendly option with a Target/Marshalls/TJ Maxx/etc.

You could also slide down to the Aventura Mall (closer than Sawgrass). South Florida is home to 2 of the 6 biggest malls in the country . . . Sawgrass and Aventura. You can't go wrong with either one . . . Aventura is more traditional while the Sawgrass is Outlets.

You could also slide down to the Aventura Mall (closer than Sawgrass). South Florida is home to 2 of the 6 biggest malls in the country . . . Sawgrass and Aventura. You can't go wrong with either one . . . Aventura is more traditional while the Sawgrass is Outlets.

I guess I'm just not a shopping fanatic. I find Aventura Mall to be among the most depressing places in South Florida.

I guess I'm just not a shopping fanatic. I find Aventura Mall to be among the most depressing places in South Florida.

Just curious...what about Aventura Mall do you think is so depressing? I don't like it there but I'm not sure why. I love Boca Town Center and I like Galleria because it's never crowded but I'm not at all drawn to Aventura.

Just curious...what about Aventura Mall do you think is so depressing? I don't like it there but I'm not sure why. I love Boca Town Center and I like Galleria because it's never crowded but I'm not at all drawn to Aventura.

In truth, I guess mostly grumpy old man criticisms. Nothing reflective of South Florida. Lighting brighter than an operating room. Mediocre food choices. Stores you could find in any region. A strange mixture of high-end stores (luggage that costs two cruises or so) and fashions aimed at 19 year olds. Movies that come with loud talking, phones ringing and constant texting. A parking lot that invites accidents. That said, it's the nearest Macy's so I'm there on occasion.

In truth, I guess mostly grumpy old man criticisms. Nothing reflective of South Florida. Lighting brighter than an operating room. Mediocre food choices. Stores you could find in any region. A strange mixture of high-end stores (luggage that costs two cruises or so) and fashions aimed at 19 year olds. Movies that come with loud talking, phones ringing and constant texting. A parking lot that invites accidents. That said, it's the nearest Macy's so I'm there on occasion.

FLAHAM, Thanks for getting back to me. I get what you are saying...So I guess if Aventura is among the most depressing places then going to Sawgrass Mills is like committing suicide and ending up in shopping hell!:eek::D

Archived