Credit Cards Need PIN in Denmark

I just asked Citibank Visa about getting a PIN and I was told I did not want to do that. Every charge would be treated as a cash advance with interest rate of about 25% starting immediately. They even told me to make sure I took my regular ATM debit card along to use instead of their card! She also reminded me of the 3% foreign transaction fee but I just discovered my Chase does not have a foreign transaction fee - that's good.

It's so funny that we all get different answers to the same question. I think just to be safe I will hit the ATM once docked and not even attempt to use my Credit Card unless I just have to (for a purchase only - not food) and if it's denied then that is my "sign" that I don't need whatever I think I need!

I just asked Citibank Visa about getting a PIN and I was told I did not want to do that. Every charge would be treated as a cash advance with interest rate of about 25% starting immediately. They even told me to make sure I took my regular ATM debit card along to use instead of their card! She also reminded me of the 3% foreign transaction fee but I just discovered my Chase does not have a foreign transaction fee - that's good.

That is strange. I do not use my CITI card abroad, but the other cards do not identify a PIN code as a cash advance.

That is strange. I do not use my CITI card abroad, but the other cards do not identify a PIN code as a cash advance.

I asked Bank of America about this today and was told that using our PIN in Europe for purchases would not be treated as a cash advance.

I asked Bank of America about this today and was told that using our PIN in Europe for purchases would not be treated as a cash advance.

Do you have a pin for a credit card, or are you talking about using your ATM card?

I've spent over an hour talking to people at BOA and found them completely clueless about the whole issue. :rolleyes:

Do you have a pin for a credit card, or are you talking about using your ATM card?

I've spent over an hour talking to people at BOA and found them completely clueless about the whole issue. :rolleyes:

Yes we do have one, but I was told that if you don't know it, they would send it to you in the mail and it takes about 4-5 days to arrive

I've researched flyertalk.com forum and found this link helpful.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1223331-usa-issuers-announce-emv-cards-chip-pin-chip-signature.html

1) Citi - For most of Citi cards have 3% foreign transaction fee, so I would not recommend bringing Citi cards to oversee. As a backup, I have chipped cards (AA Visa and Dividend Master)

2) Chase - Chase BA card has no foreign transaction fee and offered a chipped card. It is a Chip & Signature, so there is no PIN like Citi's chipped cards. You will still have a problem in automated machines.

3) Andrews - Global Trek Visa. It has 1% foreign transaction fee by Visa, but it is a fully Chip & PIN card. This will be my backup card in case Chase BA Visa card is not taken

4) Carry extra cash - This will always work.

Just spent 24 hours pre and post cruise in Copenhagen. I had heard the credit card story but had no problems. This may have been because I dealt with people at the hotel, restuarants, museums, and buying a day transportation ticket. We even decided to take a cab to the airport since we had an early flight and were able to use our credit card to pay for that.

3) Andrews - Global Trek Visa. It has 1% foreign transaction fee by Visa, but it is a fully Chip & PIN card. This will be my backup card in case Chase BA Visa card is not taken.
I was just approved for this card and hopefully will receive it within the next 2 weeks. Had to jump through a couple of hoops and I have some CapitialOne cards that I'd rather use but this may come in handy.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to a bank representative at Capital One Bank and was told that their Visa card is not a chip and pin - just signature only. There is no foreign transaction fee for now but that will change around mid to late August. He also told me that I could use my ATM card (mastercard) and that there is no foreign transaction fee on my ATM card but that it is a debit card and not a credit card. I can use my PIN with that card, but it would withdraw funds from my account. This type of card would be subject to any local bank fees if using their ATM machine.

I perfer not to use a debit card and now am unsure as to which credit card to bring on our trip. It looks like I will need to open a new cc account just for this trip. Any recommendations from CC travelers who have experienced using their credit card recently in the baltic region - I would appreciate any advice.

Here's a better view of a typical EMV (Chip & PIN) terminal. Note the slot on the front of the machine to insert a Chip card and the traditional magnetic swipe strip along the right side.

Verifone_Vx510LE.jpg

If your card has the magnetic stripe and not a chip the employee is supposed to use the swipe strip, and a slip of paper will print out for you to sign. Businesses don't like to do this because they are not liable for chip & PIN fraud but they are liable for swipe & sign fraud.

As another variation, my new Andrews FCU Chip & PIN card will default to Chip & Signature if the terminal will allow it - I stick my card into the slot and a slip of paper will print out for me to sign. It will only make me enter a PIN if the terminal is set up to only work with a PIN.

For what it's worth, here is what we encountered using a "swipe and signature" card (Capital One, with no foreign transaction fees) for most expenses on our 3-week trip earlier this month:

Stockholm (where problems are said to be nonexistent): No problems, except at the very start, when the taxi driver from the airport to Gamla Stan claimed his "new" machine didn't have a swipe reader. Fortunately, being one of those who always fears the worst, first thing after retrieving our baggage I'd withdrawn 1,000 SEK from an airport ATM using my home bank ATM/debit card.

Tallinn (on the Euro): No problems.

St. Petersburg: No problems.

Helsinki (on the Euro): No problems.

Copenhagen (where problems are said to be pervasive): Only two problems, although on several occasions I was asked to present a photo ID.

As to the problem incidents: One was at the 7-Eleven in Radhuspladsen, where the juvenile employees (on two separate occasions) purported to attempt processing the transaction but claimed the machine sporadically would reject transactions without a PIN code. So I paid cash both times.

The other purported problem was in a taxi from a restaurant to our hotel. The driver first claimed his swipe machine wouldn't work without a PIN. When I told him I didn't have enough cash, and would have to withdraw some from the ATM next to the hotel, his machine magically developed signature capacity (as long as I presented a photo ID).

My understanding is that the European credit card processors will hold the merchant harmless for fraudulent transactions if a PIN code is used, but not for signature transactions. (This is consistent with the occasional request for a photo ID. So I conclude that at least some if not all the claimed inability of some card readers to accept "swipe and signature" cards is fictional, and that what's really going on is the merchants' desire to protect themselves against chargebacks for fraudulent transactions.

As to chips and PIN codes for US cards: Some Citi cards can be issued with chips as well as PIN, but I was informed by Citi that any tranaactions on such cards using the PIN would be treated as cash advances. Capital One and Bank of America cheerfully admit they do not not issue chip cards.

As to foreign transaction fees: Some card issuers other than Capital One or US Bank offer cards that do not include foreign transaction fees, but the trick is to find one that has both the rebate/mileage/rewards program you prefer as well as no foreign transaction fee. I have a Chase "United Mileage Plus Explorer" Visa card, but it carries a 3% foreign transaction fee (so much for "Explorer").

One further note on foreign transaction fees: Contrary to a prior poster's comment, what controls is not whether the transaction is denominated in a foreign currency, but whether it is presented by a foreign processor. Thus, dollar-denominated purchases abroad, such as foreign hotel charges billed in USD, are fully subject to foreign transaction fees. (This rule is of fairly recent origin, intended to thwart foreign merchants who hoped to spare their customers the foreign transaction fees by billing in dollars rather than Euros or whatever.)

I spoke to a bank representative at Capital One Bank and was told that their Visa card is not a chip and pin - just signature only. There is no foreign transaction fee for now but that will change around mid to late August. He also told me that I could use my ATM card (mastercard) and that there is no foreign transaction fee on my ATM card but that it is a debit card and not a credit card. I can use my PIN with that card, but it would withdraw funds from my account. This type of card would be subject to any local bank fees if using their ATM machine.

Hm, that's a new one! Capital One is going to start charging foreign transaction fees on their cards in mid to late August?

I recently called Capital One to request the pin for my card so I would have it on my cruise. I also had them put a note on my account as to when I was out of the country.

The lady repeated to me multiple times that Capital One doesn't charge foreign transactions fees. She never mentioned that they were changing their policy.

That wouldn't be good if they do. The only reason I got a Capital One card years ago was because they didn't charge foreign transaction fees, and I only use the card when traveling abroad.... hm.....

Hm, that's a new one! Capital One is going to start charging foreign transaction fees on their cards in mid to late August?

I recently called Capital One to request the pin for my card so I would have it on my cruise. I also had them put a note on my account as to when I was out of the country.

The lady repeated to me multiple times that Capital One doesn't charge foreign transactions fees. She never mentioned that they were changing their policy.

That wouldn't be good if they do. The only reason I got a Capital One card years ago was because they didn't charge foreign transaction fees, and I only use the card when traveling abroad.... hm.....

I have heard this in a couple of places recently; however, I suspect that what they mean is this: new customers applying for the card after July/August or whenever they make the change won't get the "no foreign transaction fee" option. I've called Cap One and asked; I was assured that my card would continue to offer the same benefits and there was no plan to change it.

I have heard this in a couple of places recently; however, I suspect that what they mean is this: new customers applying for the card after July/August or whenever they make the change won't get the "no foreign transaction fee" option. I've called Cap One and asked; I was assured that my card would continue to offer the same benefits and there was no plan to change it.

ahhh, thank you so much! what a relief!

playing the credit card game to avoid these needless foreign transaction fees isn't fun.

i'll make sure never to cancel this card now as long as it continues to offer me these benefits.

Archived