Cabin Steward Tips

davis2nd

Need suggestions. I plan on tipping our steward on top of the auto tips that are added per day to your account. So what is an acceptable amount to tip the steward for a four night cruise. Just looking for averages, I will adjust for more if the service goes above and beyond.

Thanks for the help.

We had a six night trip. We gave $50 cash to the Steward and $50 to the Assistant Steward on the day we left. They were above outstanding. If we took a nap, they made the bed. If we showered, they took away the wet towels and gave us dry ones within minutes. It was like having private butler service. They were polite and friendly. Our TV went bonkers and it was fixed while we ate breakfast. We did the pre-paid auto-tips when we purchased the cruise. This was above and beyond that, to two above and beyond individuals.

I was wondering about this as well. I am hoping my steward goes above and beyond and isn't like some of the horror stories I've heard on here. I think the prepaid gratuity thing is really confusing as I paid about 90 dollars in gratuities for a four day cruise coming up but at first I didn't even know who was included in receiving these tips. I believe it is the room steward, MDR staff, and gratuities from buying alcohol. At least that's what I've gleaned so far. I can't seem to find a single answer about the subject. When I try to break it down though, I don't really know how much the room steward will get of that 90 dollars?

It really all depends on the service that you receive during the duration of your cruise. We usually tip over the daily suggestion but when we cruised in March on the Fantasy we had a bad experience in our cabin. We woke up the first morning to a broken porthole window. There was glass in my bed so we asked our stateroom steward to change my bedding because we were unsure how much glass was actually in my bed.

When I went to bed that night there was still glass in my bed............we were very unhappy :mad:

I was wondering about this as well. I am hoping my steward goes above and beyond and isn't like some of the horror stories I've heard on here. I think the prepaid gratuity thing is really confusing as I paid about 90 dollars in gratuities for a four day cruise coming up but at first I didn't even know who was included in receiving these tips. I believe it is the room steward, MDR staff, and gratuities from buying alcohol. At least that's what I've gleaned so far. I can't seem to find a single answer about the subject. When I try to break it down though, I don't really know how much the room steward will get of that 90 dollars?

The $11.50/day pp tips are split this way:

$5.80/day to Dining Room Services (Head Waiter, Waiter, Assistant Waiter)

$3.70/day to Cabin Services (Room Steward, Assistant Steward)

$2.00/day for Alternative Services (Kitchen, Entertainment, Guest Services & Hotel Staff)

Need suggestions. I plan on tipping our steward on top of the auto tips that are added per day to your account. So what is an acceptable amount to tip the steward for a four night cruise. Just looking for averages, I will adjust for more if the service goes above and beyond.

Thanks for the help.

Very seldom do they go above and beyond and the things they do that many consider above and beyond is by no means extra. Like all tipping, give what you want and use that as your guilds. Personally my tips are private and not a bragging amount.

Very seldom do they go above and beyond and the things they do that many consider above and beyond is by no means extra. Like all tipping, give what you want and use that as your guilds. Personally my tips are private and not a bragging amount.

Yeah...what he/she said!:D

We tipped our Head Waiter and Room Steward and extra $20 each at the end of our 7 day trip.

We sat in our head waiter's section a lot of mornings for breakfast in the Lido area, and so we thought it was worth it to slip him a little extra, since he was personally helping us twice a day.

Our room steward was fabulous. Like someone else said, everytime we left the room, it's like he magically appeared and fixed things. Very attentive. I swear one day I was just thinking that I needed ice, and he knocked on the door with a fresh scoop! We also had a plumbing issue one night, (let's just say that it was not Carnival's fault :o), and he got it taken care of immediately.

But again, it's all subjective. Each person will tip or not the amount they think warrants the service recieved.

Thanks for the help.

you're trying to decide tips before any service is rendered? i would suggest waiting to see what is done for you to even decide anything. and then, if you request something above and beyond his normal duties, you could throw him/her something then.

If I am "wowed" with great service..I will then tip above auto-tips. I make my choice at the end of the cruise. The amount extra just depends on how much I am "wowed" :)

I have never removed or even reduced auto-tips. Sometimes I just leave it at that. Like I said, all depends on the level of service. :)

Thank you all, seems to be all about personal preference. Just looking to see what would be acceptable for tips as I have never cruised before. Keep the replies coming,

The auto tips are acceptable amd I would bet the vast majority give this. If you choose to give more that is your decision.

Not sure whether it was already suggested, but if my goal is good service from the steward, I pre-tip 20 and then give another 20 at the end if he went beyond the call of duty for me. They usually do.

not only is that a bribe, it's a waste of money if you get a lemon.

if you had an employee, would you think he would do more if you paid him up front?

pretipping also tells them you think you are better than your neighbors, and the opposite might happen to what you expect. take a look at the articles about pre tipping.

you're trying to decide tips before any service is rendered? i would suggest waiting to see what is done for you to even decide anything. and then, if you request something above and beyond his normal duties, you could throw him/her something then.

I don't decide tips ahead of time but I do have a line item in the budget for tips in general (porters, excursion operators, bell persons [or whatever they are called nowadays:o, etc.) and I do add an amount for additional tips to staff that have gone above and beyond.

If my room is made up twice a day and I get fresh towels-- that is all that I need.

Some people need that steward to be their new best friend for the week and get mighty upset because he barely spoke to them.

We prepay tips- do not remove them. If the steward goes above and beyond that above stuff then I will tip extra.

When we travelled with grand daughter that steward dressed up our towel animals for her-using the stuff laying around the cabin. GD thought it hysterical each night

he got an extra 20.

another time there was a table magician that we requested to the table when GD ate all her dinner- he came- he conquered her little heart-- we gave him 25.00

to the OP- I know your frustration with the not knowing. Not having ever done it before-- I am looking to see how does a person tip at an all inclusive

Serene,

I can help you a little about the all-inclusives. They pretty much are different at each resort. The high-end AI's like Sandals say that the employees are not allowed to accept tips. Some will still take them but many will refuse. Lower end resorts tipping seems to be customary. I have stayed at both and tend to tip the same at each type. I usually tip a buck per drink I get or leave 2-3 dollars at each meal. Many people do not tip at all at AI's but I feel that the people serving us should always get a little bit extra.

Serene,

I can help you a little about the all-inclusives. They pretty much are different at each resort. The high-end AI's like Sandals say that the employees are not allowed to accept tips. Some will still take them but many will refuse. Lower end resorts tipping seems to be customary. I have stayed at both and tend to tip the same at each type. I usually tip a buck per drink I get or leave 2-3 dollars at each meal. Many people do not tip at all at AI's but I feel that the people serving us should always get a little bit extra.

the AI Is in Aruba- Breakfast/lunch is buffet but the servers give you drinks.

Dinners are sit down.

So you think 15.00 for dinner tip is too much?

I would say that is too much. For us the I usually give a bit more at dinner as it is more of a traditional server experience but even then the most I give is 5-6 dollars. Once again, I know this does not sound like much but I bet if you surveyed most guests they would say they do not tip at all.

Serene,

the AI Is in Aruba- Breakfast/lunch is buffet but the servers give you drinks.

Dinners are sit down.

So you think 15.00 for dinner tip is too much?

Archived