Which steak is the best at the Steakhouse?

Good Afternoon,

Hubby and I are set to sail on the Pride in a few weeks. I received my steakhouse confirmation (thankfully since the price is going up) a week or so ago for our June sailing.

It has been mentioned on the boards that the porterhouse is no longer available. That's unfortunate because that's what I had in mind when I set up the reservation. Given that I love porterhouse steaks, which steak is the best one to pick at the steakhouse? I am a female and can never finish a porterhouse but I prefer it because I like bone-in meats. I recall reading that a ny strip, cowboy (rib steak), and ribeye are available at the steakhouse. I don't really like filet mignon.

Thanks for your input!

Ordered the ribeye (due to Tom, his suggestion) on the Glory end of April, and was surprised how much fat and gristle. Not his fault obviously.

If we would have seen our server anytime after the steak was delivered would have sent it back.

DS had cowboy steak and that also had problems.

Filet ordered by son in law and DD was excellent as was DW's chicken.

In the past always ordered the porterhouse which was always excellent and thinking that if it does not come back after price increase neither will we to the steakhouse.

Ordered the ribeye (due to Tom, his suggestion) on the Glory end of April, and was surprised how much fat and gristle. Not his fault obviously.

If we would have seen our server anytime after the steak was delivered would have sent it back.

In the past always ordered the porterhouse which was always excellent and thinking that if it does not come back after price increase neither will we to the steakhouse.

Ribeye is always fatty, that is why people think it is flavorful. The filet is the most tender and best steak offered in any steak house.

Ribeyes have fat on them fat = flavor!! Thats why Ribeyes is my favorite cut of meat!! But my dad doesnt like Fat or i guess "flavor" on a steak so he choose the ny strip

Never been on Carnival, but I always get Rib-eye. Yes it has more fat. That is where the most flavor is found. Filet, in my book, is tender, but lacks flavor.

My idea of a Steak house is:

Peter Lugers

Del Frisco's double eagle

Union Trust

Butcher and Singer

I will be passing on the steak house on the ship. Been "burnt" to many times on other lines.

Never been on Carnival, but I always get Rib-eye. Yes it has more fat. That is where the most flavor is found. Filet, in my book, is tender, but lacks flavor.

Peter Lugers

Union Trust

Butcher and Singer

I will be passing on the steak house on the ship. Been "burnt" to many times on other lines.

I wish you would reconsider. I have always, always had a very pleasant experience in the CCL steakhouses and I have been to quite a few. I think you will be pleased.

Is the cowboy steak also usually fatty?

Don't know, that is one of those names that could be called something else in different parts of the country.

Generally the ribeye is the most flavorful followed by the strip (note that a T-Bone has parts of both rib eye and filet. The filet is the least fatty and most tender of them all.

If you go to a butcher they might be able to explain anywhere from 8 to 10 different steaks that fall between the extremes. (and outside the lower end).

Peter Lugers

Union Trust

Butcher and Singer

Having dined countless times in Murano and Tuscan Grille on Celebrity, and several times at Le Bistro and Cagney's on NCL, and at least 40 times in Carnival's Steakhouse, I can assure you that the most predictable, and overall highest quality aged/prime beef is found on Carnival - SHOCKING, huh? !

For our upcoming sailing on the Liberty, we will be dining there EVERY night - it's the best bet at sea. Is it always perfect? No - but still, overall, it's a VERY good bet.

I would rate it higher than Bern's (Tampa) or Ruth's Chris, and close to what I have enjoyed a few times at Prime (Bellagio).

Don't pass up the opportunity for fear of being "burned"! If you are shelling out the money to be on a cruise to begin with, and given what you have paid for steaks at those places you've listed, then pony up the extra $35 and get a MUCH better meal and ambiance over what occurs nightly in the main dining room (REALLY)!! You could end up with a poor quality cut like Stu did -- I have encountered a couple like that, but those are in the minority.

Tom

... I am mostly crazy for their mashed potatoes!! I have to get a double order and honestly- could probably eat a triple order they are that good!!!!

LOVE EM!!

.. even to the point of requesting extra wasabi (on the side) to kick it up a notch!!

Tom

I had the 5 spice rib eye one night and the strip on the second night and I preferred the strip. The rib eye had way to much fat, and yes I know that rib eye's are the fattiest of the steaks but this one was over the top. The best was the porterhouse. To bad they do not offer it anymore. Still a decent value but not up to the top steakhouses I have been to here in Houston. I will be going to the steakhouse at least two times on my cruise in December. The overall quality is worth the price.

DaveO

Archived