Drink Package

RichJan

After looking at the various drink packages (alcohol) I decided to check with Celebrity on the policy regarding carrying over to the next day, what dollar value remained on the card. Surprisingly, the answer was that any portion of a daily drink card that isn't used is voided and the next day's card charge begins. In other words, I loose the $10 or less should I not use it up.

Even mentioning a competitor's approach of selling drink cards in various denominations and maintaining a declining balance until the card was empty didn't seem to have an effect.

I'm not impressed.

Has anyone had an experience of the sort? Any recommendations?

Richard

After looking at the various drink packages (alcohol) I decided to check with Celebrity on the policy regarding carrying over to the next day, what dollar value remained on the card. Surprisingly, the answer was that any portion of a daily drink card that isn't used is voided and the next day's card charge begins. In other words, I loose the $10 or less should I not use it up.

Even mentioning a competitor's approach of selling drink cards in various denominations and maintaining a declining balance until the card was empty didn't seem to have an effect.

I'm not impressed.

Richard

I think you're assuming that a $54 a day beverage package has some kind of stored value per day. It does not, it's just a per-day price (for the entire cruise) that allows you to get whatever you want. Think of it as a weekly pass to the bar.

I don't really understand why you would need to carry any amount over. You pay a price for each day of the cruise and the package entitles you to unlimited beverages up to a certain price per beverage. If you go over the daily cost of the package they do not charge you more, so carrying over would have no benefit.

To clarify further, you can have as many drinks as you want and not pay any additional - as long as the drink price is less than the per drink rate in the package ($8 or $12 for premium). You can have 100 $12 drinks a day if you want, if you have 100 $13 drinks, you have to pay $1 x 100 = $100.

It's not daily min/max, it's a value per drink max included in the package.

I'm not impressed.

Richard

You've been grossly misinformed somewhere in this process. Let's just do math at its most basic (for my ease ;) ). You mentioned alcohol package so let's go with that... $50 a day, so 10 day cruise = $500 per person. You can then drink to your hearts content for those 10 days with what's included in the package that you pick. You seem to know the pricing somi won't get into adding the 15% etc. tons of info here on drink packages.

To clarify. You pay a set price for your cruise. You can order as many or as little across the entire duration up to the limit of the package. ($12 or $8 per drink for alcohol packages). That could be one, one hundred or one thousand drinks per day if you were able to consume that amount. There is no daily cap.

The advantage is not always to see if it is cheaper than paying as you go. It also allows you to buy drinks:

a) Without calculating each time how much you are spending

b) You are not charged $15 each time you order a drink

c) There is a further 10% discount on beverage packages.

Add the 15% and the 10% deal and you are saving 25% per drink.

And if you don't break even, so what, you are on vacation, do away with the hassle factors.

packages are 10%

service charge is included in the package price, you don't pay it on the drinks as you order them. At the end of the cruise you don't get a bill of drink service charges. So past 15% of the price of your package, you save an additional 15% of the price of the drink. Making 25% in total.

packages are 10%

service charge is included in the package price, you don't pay it on the drinks as you order them. At the end of the cruise you don't get a bill of drink service charges. So past 15% of the price of your package, you save an additional 15% of the price of the drink. Making 25% in total.

Where are you saving 15%? - there is no 15% saving.

If you purchase a drink from the bar they will add a 15% service charge/tax, but this is already added to the package price, so you are not saving the 15%.

Well you are paying a 15% service charge on the $50 a day so if you drink more than that you are saving whatever additional you would have spent on alcohol plus the 15% gratuity on the overage. It also probably would have been a very fun day!

Well you are paying a 15% service charge on the $50 a day so if you drink more than that you are saving whatever additional you would have spent on alcohol plus the 15% gratuity on the overage. It also probably would have been a very fun day!

Thank you, someone understands what I am getting at.

I don't drink so I get the prem non alcohol package.

I pay for the package across my 14 day cruise. This package has been discounted by 10% and included in the package price is an additional 15%. That is it. Lets say for arguments sake (and it is not far off) I need to buy 3 drinks per day to equal what I paid for the package. In reality I may have 5 or 6 drinks in a day. The first three drinks that meet my break even point I have paid service on. The additional 2 or 3 drinks per day are inclusive in the package but you don't pay additional service on them, so in that respect, compared to a pay as you go customer without a package i am saving 15% on those drinks over the break point.

As it happens I do average 5-6 drinks in a day plus bottled water so it works well for me.

I pay for the package across my 14 day cruise. This package has been discounted by 10% and included in the package price is an additional 15%. That is it. Lets say for arguments sake (and it is not far off) I need to buy 3 drinks per day to equal what I paid for the package. In reality I may have 5 or 6 drinks in a day. The first three drinks that meet my break even point I have paid service on. The additional 2 or 3 drinks per day are inclusive in the package but you don't pay additional service on them, so in that respect, compared to a pay as you go customer without a package i am saving 15% on those drinks over the break point.

As it happens I do average 5-6 drinks in a day plus bottled water so it works well for me.

I thought I had reasoned out every aspect of the Non-Alcohol Premium Package, except for this. Thank you for throwing yet another kink into it. However, it is a very good kink, and I appreciate that you thought of it because I certainly did not. Like you, I will more than likely drink 2-3 drinks over my break even point each day, thus saving the 15% service charge on those drinks :).

I was really trying to decide whether to still get the package or not, because we will actually be off the ship the entire time in Bermuda, but with the 10% off, plus the realization of the additional 15% that we're saving, there's nothing else to think about.

Hi,

I don't think you are making yourself very clear!!

I don't know where you are getting your 15% saving from. If you break even after 3 drinks, anything extra is a bonus and does not cost you anymore.

Jim

Hi,

I don't think you are making yourself very clear!!

I don't know where you are getting your 15% saving from. If you break even after 3 drinks, anything extra is a bonus and does not cost you anymore.

Jim

Agree. For example, the package is $50/day plus 15%= $57.5/ day on a ten day cruise, that's $575. Drinks are say $10+15%=$11.5. In order to break even, you need to drink $575/$11.5 or 50 drinks, roughly 5 per day. Drink more with no worries. With all the juice, coffee, water, wine, beer, alcohol and soda you plan to drink, if you come close to the above, the package is worth it! Not to mention no hassle, no worries and lots of fun!!!!

You might as well say you make a 1000% saving is you have a drink every hour. ;)

Don't forget to add into any saving any welcome drink or bottle in your cabin as well as an allowance for other free drinks ;)

Ok, I think I get it now.

So we purchase a drink package allowing us all manner of drinks both non and alcoholic. That package costs us $54. This allows us a certain level/quality of drinks. Can I purchase two drinks or specialty coffees or fresh orange juice at a time on that package or must each of us get a card?

I'm not cheap but I do want to know what the entitlement is and if we need two packages, then so be it.

Richard

So we purchase a drink package allowing us all manner of drinks both non and alcoholic. That package costs us $54. This allows us a certain level/quality of drinks. Can I purchase two drinks or specialty coffees or fresh orange juice at a time on that package or must each of us get a card?

I'm not cheap but I do want to know what the entitlement is and if we need two packages, then so be it.

Richard

The packages are per/person and may not be shared.

Each person must have their own package.

If both of you have a package, you don't need to both be present to get your drinks. If one of you, for instance, is back in the stateroom changing, and you would like to get your pre-dinner cocktails, take both cards to the bar and they will give you two drinks.

Otherwise, if you ask for two drinks on one person's card, you will be refused, and it could create a lot of hassle.

people, the saving is any drink past the break even point, compared to someone drinking the same but paying for their drinks as they go.

It becomes worth it if you order more than 3 drinks per day on the prem non alcohol package.

How can I explain this any easier.

Bob has a package he needs to drink 3 drinks per day to make the package worth while.

Fred pays as he goes along. no package

Bob orders drinks 1,2 and 3 which are all inclusive. He has also broken even at this point for the day.

Fred orders drinks 1,2 and 3 which as expected he will be billed plus service is added.

Bob orders drinks 4,5 and 6 (or more). Any drink past this point will not incur a service charge as a Nominal fixed price or capped service charge was paid with the drinks package.

Fred orders drinks 4,5 and 6. He will be billed for plus service is added.

for every drink he will be paying service on these drinks.

At the end of the day, Fred has paid service at 15% on the 3 drinks he ordered that would be past the break even point on a drinks package.

So if you drink 4-6 drinks a day the comparison is on the drinks past the break even point. With a package you pay a fixed service rate. Pay as you go, you pay the service on your drinks as you go.

I hope this makes it clearer

Ooohhh, let me try. It's perfectly clear to me!

If you are getting a Premium Non alcohol Package, you're cost is the approx equiv of 3 drinks per day. You have already paid the 15% service fee (gratuity) on that within the pre paid package. Any NON-ALCOHOLIC drinks ordered past those three drinks are STILL part of the prepaid package and are past the break even point for the day, thus already cleared of the 15% that you WOULD have been charged if you DID NOT HAVE the drink package.

Does this make any more sense??? Or did I just make it more confusing??

How about an illustration:

Day 1: COST: $18.00 (includes 10% discount and 15% service fee)

AM: 2 Capuccinos @ $4.50/each + 15% Gratuity($1.35) = $10.35

Leaving Ship: 1 Liter water; $4.50 + 15% Gratuity ($.67)= $5.17

Lunch: 1 Coke @ $2 + 15% Gratuity ($.30)= $2.30

Afternoon: 1 Frozen Mocha Latte @ $4.50 + 15% Gratuity ($.67)= $5.17

Evening (Before Dinner) Capuccino in Cafe @ $4.50 + 15% Gratuity ($.67)= $5.17

Dinner: 1 Coke @ $2 + 15% Gratuity ($.30)= $2.30

Late Night (During Show): 2 Virgin Strawberry Daqurie or Pina Colada @ $5.00 each + 15% Gratuity ($1.50) = $11.50

Going by this model, if you get the Premium Non Alcohol Package, you save approximately $3.14/Day in service charges (over your break even point for the day that you would spend if you didn't have the package and got the same drinks.

Any clearer now???

It was clear the first time, it just is a highly illogical/irrational way to look at the packages. Somehow you took FixIt's attempt at humour in a literal manner. A decision on whether or not the beverage packages are a wise purchase is purely based on whether or not one is likely to go over the break even point combined with any personal benefit derived from the convenience the packages afford. It has zip/zilch/nada to do with gratuities.

Richard

Hi, Richard. Just to be clear, the drink package in question is $54 PER DAY per person for the number of days of the cruise. 7 night cruise, 7x54; 10 nite cruise 10x54, etc. The key here with Celebrity is that it is a package, not a card.

It is not a one time $54 dollar purchase or 54-dollar "card".

There is a 10% discount on package purchases now thru 6/15, so this may be of interest to you.

Enjoy you trip!

Archived