Are power strips allowed?

Carl Nival

Typically, yes. However, there have been a few posts here that say they want you to use theirs (from the reception desk). Bring one to meet your needs....high chance it will be OK. Probably a better chance if it is just a power strip (no surge protection). I have used a 3-way adapter (tap) with success, too.

No problem. You will find it on the "packing list" for many folks. In all the "wasted time" here, I have only seen folks on Carnival running into a problem and they reversed that decision.

I used to work for NCL and most of the crew have power bars in their staterooms, you should be fine. Be careful charging electronics though as the ships amperage is not as steady as power outlets on land. I would make sure that your power bar has a surge protector on it.

I once had a digital alarm plugged in and it lost about 30 mins in the first 24 hrs due to the fluctuating amperage.

Edited by Cruisebehindthescenes

We always take a power strip unless we're staying in one of the family suites on the Star or Dawn - they are new suites and have several plug ins. But to answer your question - bring a power strip - I've never had a problem bringing one on board.

As pictured, the Belkin is what we've been using for 5+ years now, it's in my traveling backpack along with the electronics/gadets - it has a lifetime & $75,000 connected-equipment warranty coverage, standing behind its surge protection circuits - the 2 mini-USB ports are not "high powered" type used/needed for a tablet or iPad, but more than enough to fully charge the average smartphone, digital camera or similar devices in a few hours to overnight. Rated at 15 amp or 1875 watts, it rotate 90 degree to clear the typical dual outlets so that you get 3 or 4 usable taps at any given time. Got mine at a local Target store (in the electronics section) on sale & also seen them at Walmart ... or the eBay route, with a pretty good price shown now.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-Surge-Protector-Charger/dp/tech-data/B0015DYMVO/ref=de_a_smtd

My husband uses a CPAP so we always take a power strip (with surge protector) as well as an extension cord. Never had anyone question it in our luggage and never had cabin steward comment on them.

How/Where are the outlets situated in the Main Bedroom in the Haven 2-bedroom Suite on the Epic? My DH uses a CPAP machine which he will be bringing along. The last time we cruised, (Carnival) we had the Room Steward bring us an extension cord. We had to plug it in at the Vanity, so it stretched across the floor to the bedside table. I had to be careful not to trip over this ugly yellow cord if I got up in the middle of the night.

My husband uses a CPAP so we always take a power strip (with surge protector) as well as an extension cord. Never had anyone question it in our luggage and never had cabin steward comment on them.

Very good advice. Since they need so little power, a lightweight extension cord in the travel bag is the best way to go. Power strip would be optional.

To assume that an outlet is in the right place, or that NCL will provide an extension cord is a foolish assumption. Also, if your travel plans change, who knows where you could be sleeping.

We have had absolutely no problems getting an extension cord for my SO's CPAP from NCL just by asking at the Purser's desk.

On that note, anyone know where the outlets are positioned on the Epic?

• 4 years later...

I am a first time cruiser taking the Alaska cruise on Carnival's Legend in July. I use a CPAP. How long an extension is useful for insuring the CPAP has power? There will be four of us in the cabin. I probably can claim the closest berth. Also I have seen posts that Carnival does not allow a surge protector style strip but the majority of you seem to prefer the small belkin with plugs and USB. It has surge protection and with the issues of variable current I would think it would be a better bet.

It MAY be ok with NCL but I know that RCCL and Princess will confiscate power strips in your luggage. They don't really want you plugging in more then one or two things they are terrified of electrical fires.

I used this Belkin device on our recent NCL Jewel cruise without any problems. It comes with two USB ports that we used to charge our iPhones with plus three grounded 110V plugs and is also "Protected".

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Protector-Charger-Outlets-Joules/dp/B01APRVNZ8

619npNbFQZL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by hawgwildterry

I used to work for NCL and most of the crew have power bars in their staterooms, you should be fine. Be careful charging electronics though as the ships amperage is not as steady as power outlets on land. I would make sure that your power bar has a surge protector on it.

I once had a digital alarm plugged in and it lost about 30 mins in the first 24 hrs due to the fluctuating amperage.

Well, a few misunderstood ideas here. Your statement about making sure it is a surge protector is completely wrong. Surge protectors are useless onboard a ship, and can be a safety concern. Power strips without surge protection are fine.

Amperage is determined by the load you plug in (whatever you are charging), not the electrical supply, so saying that amperage is not steady is also not correct.

Further, surge protection has nothing to do with amperage, it protects from over voltage, and due to the grounding system used onboard ships, you don't get the voltage spikes from load variations, blown transformers, or lightning strikes like you do on land.

Your clock lost time due to variances in frequency, again not amperage, and fluctuations in frequency are more common onboard ship than ashore, as the diesel generators cannot mechanically react as quickly as the electrical demand, so speed changes in the generators cause variations in frequency. The only effect varying frequency has is to cause motors to run very slightly faster or slower, and for anything you plug in in your cabin, there will be no noticeable difference. Your clock uses the 60Hz input frequency for it's "time tick" which is why it gains or loses time onboard.

I am currently researching USB chargers for the folks here on CC, getting some answers from the manufacturers about their claims of surge protection. I haven't finalized anything yet, and won't make any recommendations yet, but I am leaning to the fact that any multi-port USB charger that only has a two prong plug is not surge protected, despite the manufacturer's claims, but items like the Belkin posted above, which have "power" outlets and a three-prong plug are surge protected and are a potential fire hazard. Once I've completed my research, I will post to all forums here with recommendations.

BTW, I also worked for NCL, and would have taken your surge protected power strip during cabin inspections.

Edited by chengkp75

I am going to need to charge two cameras, two phones, and a tablet. Are power strips/surge protectors allowed on an NCL ship? Thanks!
Unless you are planning on leaving the cabin for 24 hours at a time, couldn't you just periodically switch out what you need to charge? There should be more than enough outlets. Also, what ship are you on? For example, Escape has USB ports in the reading lights by the bed. You could charge your phones and tablet with those and free up the plugs for your camera.

I find it interesting that some here are giving advice on how to sneak their power strips on. As mentioned by others, power strips with surge protectors are not allowed. Most power strips have surge protectors. Unless you don't think potentially causing a fire is an issue.

I also recall the lady who posted here some weeks ago claiming that NCL shorted out her phones. I wonder if she was using a power strip?

Well, a few misunderstood ideas here. Your statement about making sure it is a surge protector is completely wrong. Surge protectors are useless onboard a ship, and can be a safety concern. Power strips without surge protection are fine.

Amperage is determined by the load you plug in (whatever you are charging), not the electrical supply, so saying that amperage is not steady is also not correct.

Further, surge protection has nothing to do with amperage, it protects from over voltage, and due to the grounding system used onboard ships, you don't get the voltage spikes from load variations, blown transformers, or lightning strikes like you do on land.

Your clock lost time due to variances in frequency, again not amperage, and fluctuations in frequency are more common onboard ship than ashore, as the diesel generators cannot mechanically react as quickly as the electrical demand, so speed changes in the generators cause variations in frequency. The only effect varying frequency has is to cause motors to run very slightly faster or slower, and for anything you plug in in your cabin, there will be no noticeable difference. Your clock uses the 60Hz input frequency for it's "time tick" which is why it gains or loses time onboard.

I am currently researching USB chargers for the folks here on CC, getting some answers from the manufacturers about their claims of surge protection. I haven't finalized anything yet, and won't make any recommendations yet, but I am leaning to the fact that any multi-port USB charger that only has a two prong plug is not surge protected, despite the manufacturer's claims, but items like the Belkin posted above, which have "power" outlets and a three-prong plug are surge protected and are a potential fire hazard. Once I've completed my research, I will post to all forums here with recommendations.

BTW, I also worked for NCL, and would have taken your surge protected power strip during cabin inspections.

So I get what you are saying about the "surge protector", but what if the device states it is "grounded". Is that ok? Also, some of the multiple plug in products also state they have a circuit breaker. Is that the same thing as a surge protector? Thank you.

So I get what you are saying about the "surge protector", but what if the device states it is "grounded". Is that ok? Also, some of the multiple plug in products also state they have a circuit breaker. Is that the same thing as a surge protector? Thank you.

Grounded (3-prong plug) is fine. Also, a circuit breaker is fine, and permitted, it is not the same as surge protected. Surge protection is against high voltage, circuit breaker is against high current. Just know that a US style power strip with a circuit breaker will not completely protect your things that are plugged into it, since it only opens the "hot" leg of the power, but on a ship, the "neutral" also carries power, so you must rely on the ship's circuit breaker, which opens both legs.

Grounded (3-prong plug) is fine. Also, a circuit breaker is fine, and permitted, it is not the same as surge protected. Surge protection is against high voltage, circuit breaker is against high current. Just know that a US style power strip with a circuit breaker will not completely protect your things that are plugged into it, since it only opens the "hot" leg of the power, but on a ship, the "neutral" also carries power, so you must rely on the ship's circuit breaker, which opens both legs.

Your posts are always so informative and helpful. Quick question from a non-technical person. How do I (and the confiscators) know if my power strip is surge protected?

Thanks,

T