Debunking the Myths - Liberty 6-2-12 Review

kwagmyre

The food photos are phantastic! The picture of fish and chips tempts me to give up my prohibition on fried foods RIGHT NOW.

Personally, I am enjoying the element of mystery embedded in this review and am entertained by everyone's guesses as to why the OP is maintaining his anonymity.

This thread, along with the one about the clothing optional cruise and the review of the June 3rd sailing of the Pride have greatly improved the quality of my down-time this week.

DITTO. I cannot go to the Nude Ship Review that I am not laughing until I cry.None of the comments have been crude..just witty and meant in good fun. Taken that way too.

the nudies seem to be good people, interested in it for health and freedom reasons..not purient interests.

Still..just the concept. Like what do you wear for Dinner? and on witty poster sent back..PEARLS. Well, of course.

This reivew has that element of fun too..and it is just fabulous.

I am spending way too much time on these boards this week.......

you know...we've done the Chef's Table twice and never did the Chef de Cuisine come and speak with us. How rude. lol. :rolleyes:

Yeah... let's just say that I got the feeling that Chef Frank runs a VERY tight ship... literally. When we did the galley tour, he told us that Liberty's last 3 health inspections got a perfect 100 score. Anyone who's worked in food service knows that is basically unheard of.

Culinary departments on Liberty definetely have their act together.

Did the Chef mention if the Chef's table is usually held on the same night? I have it scheduled, but, do not know what night yet.

Ours was on the 3rd night, which seems to be the norm on 7-day cruises. There were 2 chef's tables on our cruise, and the second was on the 5th night, I believe.

This is one of the best reviews i've read. Keep it coming!

Thanks, and thanks to all the other positive comments from others as well. Sorry I have been slacking, the 2nd half of my work week really picked up. Hate the "post-vacation slam". Hopefully will get back on track this weekend.

Yeah... let's just say that I got the feeling that Chef Frank runs a VERY tight ship... literally. When we did the galley tour, he told us that Liberty's last 3 health inspections got a perfect 100 score. Anyone who's worked in food service knows that is basically unheard of.

Culinary departments on Liberty definetely have their act together.

Wow!!!! That is awesome. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Chef's Table. We loved it both times we have done it (but had the old menu). :)

I have a question regarding the side to side rolling.... a few months back, the Liberty experienced a huge "tilt"... I wonder if there is still a problem... since rolling could evolve to a tilt? I certainly hope not.. we will be aboard in Sept. and very excited about it...

You are not claiming to be disabled and thats why you can't show your face is it? I mean, it's hard to start out a review with a claim like that and not expect to have questions. More often than not reviews do not show the peoples faces.

Are you seriously asking this?? There are SO many reasons they might not want their faces shown - all personal, and it is their right. They clearly said in the post that the information was intended as an explanation for oddly cropped photographs.

Do you believe that people who are disabled are not permitted to cruise?

Or are you just trolling? It's posts like this that leave people feeling like there are too many nasties on this board.:mad:

I have a question regarding the side to side rolling.... a few months back, the Liberty experienced a huge "tilt"... I wonder if there is still a problem... since rolling could evolve to a tilt? I certainly hope not.. we will be aboard in Sept. and very excited about it...

If the seas are rough, ships are going to rock and roll regardless of size or presence of stabilizers. It's what the beast-of-the-water does. Neptune and his gaggle of mermaids having a laugh.

If the seas are rough, ships are going to rock and roll regardless of size or presence of stabilizers. It's what the beast-of-the-water does. Neptune and his gaggle of mermaids having a laugh.

:D

(hey Crew - I remember meeting you in St. Maarten at the 12-meter Americas Cup regatta excursion - fun time that was :))

We were on the Liberty in April. It was very smooth and had no complaints about rolling or tilting.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Liberty that isn't inherent to the design of most modern cruise ships. They are continuing to build them higher and longer, with a shallower draft (presumably to have more cabins above the waterline), and with a still relatively narrow beam compared to the height and length. The result is basic physics.

Ok, let's get this ship back on course...

So, after a lovely "pre-breakfast" on the balcony, we got showered and headed down to the MDR for breakfast, on the tip that MDR breakfast is better than the buffet.

Myth: MDR breakfast is better than the buffet, because it is fewer people, cooked to order, and more relaxed.

Reality: In time, we actually grew to prefer the buffet for breakfast, and will talk about that on subsequent days. The MDR wasn't "bad", just more like, a bit underwhelming at breakfast. Basically the same food as the buffet. Plus, you kind of have to sit at a "group" table for breakfast, unless you can snag a booth (good luck). The wife is more social than me, so she liked this. She had the waffles (good, light and fluffy), I had the pancakes (so/so). I forgot to take the camera, but, they look pretty much like most waffles and pancakes. Wife got the bacon on the side - atrocious. I don't know why people want more than 2 pieces of this stuff - we found it to be basically inedible. One of the few total food "misses" on the ship. I had the pork sausage though, and that made up for it - it was surprisingly good.

After breakfast, we went back to the room. This being a honeymoon cruise, well, let's just say that brings us to lunch. :D

Before lunch, wife wanted to go to the steakhouse cooking demonstration. We went. It was ok. Kind of anticlimactic, having actually eaten there the night before. It's mostly to entice you into eating there. Weirdly, for the main sample course, they featured the chicken???? Not sure why you would feature that when having such great beef. Here's a pic of the sample sizes:

21nfody.jpg

After this, I was def hungry for lunch. For lunch, 2nd day, having known (and executed) the plan to have the fish & chips the first day, the plan for the 2nd day lunch was....

Guys Burgers

Oh yeah. That's right. We're going there...

11rr8kg.jpg

That right there is a "pig patty", smothered with carmelized onions and sauteed mushrooms... mmmmm.... 1800 calorie burger.....

73mnwk.jpg

nb91t4.jpg

Good fries, too. I recommend the Chipotle mayo for dipping...

o74u36.jpg

After some yummy burgers for lunch (washed down with a few pints of Thirsty Red Frog, natch), we went back to the room for a nap.

But, not without first snagging a slice of.... THIS:

29arxqw.jpg

That, is the chocolate cake that is available from the coffee shop, for something like a whopping $2 a slice. On land, this thing would go for $7, and be worth every penny.

After the cruise, my wife and I felt that this was the best dessert we had on the ship. Period. It wasn't that we didn't enjoy the other desserts, it's just that it was that good. We had three of them on the cruise, lol.

After napping, I woke up to find a oil rig off the side, and played with the camera:

Zoomed out:

2mz32x.jpg

Max optical zoom:

16k1dlu.jpg

Max digital zoom:

2mo3sw3.jpg

Looks like we weren't the only Liberty out there that day:

35mmams.jpg

Archived