British Isles Trip Review w/Pics: A Thesis :)

DeloreanGirl

Thank you so much for such an in depth review. Have enjoyed every part of it. Our cruise starts next Friday, August 16th we leave home on Wed. night. We will be staying in London for 2 days post cruise as you did so what you tried to cram in in such a short amount of time was really relevant to us.. Thanks for the ideas.

Congrats on the baby news!!:)

My husband's fondest dream is to do the Ireland/British Isles somehow. He is handicapped and I am wondering if there is any way he could do some of the things you did with a walker in tow? Please be honest. My fear is just getting through Heathrow!

May I make a suggestion. I think switching from a "Walker" to a "Rollator" (A Walker On Four Wheels With a Built In Seat For Restimng) would make it more doable. There could be a problem on cobblestones but you can work around that.

John

Edited by Uniall

My husband's fondest dream is to do the Ireland/British Isles somehow. He is handicapped and I am wondering if there is any way he could do some of the things you did with a walker in tow? Please be honest. My fear is just getting through Heathrow!

Princess has excursions for people in wheelchairs for their different ports. For our August 16 cruise, there are a couple of ports that still have spaces available for the wheelchair excursions, someone from our cruise was inquiring about them.

Can he climb a few stairs to get into a bus/coach? You would have to read each excursion, to see if it is a driving excursions where he could always stay on the coach. My mom, did that when she felt she could not walk too far.

For Heathrow, I would suggest a porter to help with the luggage. If you plan on staying in London, I would take a car service (inquire from them about wheelchair/walker space in car) to your hotel. A lot of people take a car service to Southampton.

Book early to get a handicap cabin, there are only so many. Contact Special Needs department for help.

Edited by phabric

Edinburgh: The Most Beautiful City, Ever. (Day 10)

If there is one port in which you do get off the ship and make your way into the main town, please let this one be it. Edinburgh is worth every minute of effort you put into getting to the city, for it is GORGEOUS.

As mentioned in the first post of this review. Please, please, please, please do yourself a favor and buy your Edinburgh Castle tickets online before your trip. The line to buy tickets outside the castle was easily over an hour long. It looked miserable. We simply walked through the arched entrance of the castle on the left hand side where an employee scanned the barcode on our e-mail and that was all it took to grand you access to the castle. Well worth buying ahead of time!

For lack of better words, Edinburgh Castle is like the Disneyland of Scotland. It’s incredibly popular and people from all over the world come to visit it. It was a bank holiday for the Queen’s Jubilee when we were there so it may have been more crowded than usual, but not so much that we felt overwhelmed. There’s not much more to explain about the castle. It’s truly amazing and there is lots and lots to see. We didn’t spend as much time there as I thought. I was expecting to have lunch there and drop a good 3+ hours but honestly I think we felt we had seen it all (including the 1pm cannon fire) in about 90 minutes or so. We went inside some of the mini-museums but did not wait in the long line for the Crown Jewels. They were already building the huge, sturdy bleachers for the Military Tattoo in August!

IMG_0940-1.jpg

Once we were finished with the castle, I was very excited to head down the mile-long stretch of the picturesque tourist trap known as The Royal Mile. This is the part of our day where Mike and I had our jaws on the floor. The entire stretch of The Royal Mile is downright gorgeous. I would crash CrusieCritic’s server if I were allowed to post all the pictures here that I took. The way they have preserved the old part of town and kept it looking as if you were in a 1700’s fairytale is astounding. You can truly stare down the street and imagine yourself with a horse and cart or walking down a cobblestone road with troops. It was incredible.

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

We stepped in and out of each store. They all carry pretty much the same things (plaid scarves, Scottish fudge, shot glasses, tartans, postcards, t-shirts, etc.). When you reach the end of the Royal Mile, you will find yourself standing in front of the Palace of Holyrood House which is where the Queen stays when she is in town. I regret not buying tickets for this place as it looked fascinating. The gift shop nearby had charming souvenirs and tons of Buckingham Palace soaps and lotions that I wish I had grabbed. Across from Holyrood House resides the Scottish Parliament in the newfangled modern building which I personally think is a huge eyesore.

At this point, we headed back up Calton Road which parallels the main roads and leads back up to Edinburgh Waverley station. Leaving from Edinburgh Waverley is very confusing because Waverley is massive (like a small airport) and there are electronic signs everywhere for trains going all over the country. I believe Platform 1 is the platform you need to find the ScotRail train back to Dalmeney (South Queensferry). There are employees all over the station that were very helpful. I panicked fearing that we might be on the wrong train until I saw the handy dandy blue Princess Cruise Line tote bags being carried by others on the train.

{Observation:} Whenever you think you’re lost in a town, just follow someone with those bright blue Princess tote bags!

Our train had a bit of a malfunction and we had to sit on it for a while before it started up and headed back towards the Firth of Forth. Once off, we trekked through the shady woods and back down the stairs towards the quaint town of South Queensferry and into a very short line (3 minutes, I clocked it) back onto the tenders.

What’s really fun about being anchored in the Firth of Forth is that the ship did a complete 360-degree turn (in place!) with its thrusters before heading back out to sea. It was really neat to be out on the balcony and see the rear slide one way and the bow pull to the other side. If only someone on land had a time lapse camera!

I can’t remember much of what went on that night, but I do know that we were extremely excited about the next day, our Sea Day, as we were one of the 12 lucky enough to do the “Ultimate Ship Tour”!

To view all of my Edinburgh photos, you can visit: http://photobucket.com/edinburgh2012

For all of the Princess Patters, including Edinburgh, you can visit: http://photobucket.com/princesspattersbritishisles

Movies Under The Stars = “We Bought A Zoo”, “Metropolis”, “In Time”.

Theater: “The Kings Speech” (movie) and “International Crew Show” (I would tell you how I feel about this one but I’d lose readers.)

Next Chapter = Second Sea Day & Ultimate Ship Tour! (Day 11)

These photos remind me of one of my favorite movies, "Journey To The Center Of The Earth" 1959, starring James Mason.

Emily, what a joy it has been to read this ENTIRE thread this evening...laughing, grinning all the while! I have been thinking of this UK cruise for a few years now. You remind me of me, with the planning and excitement. Our first trip to Europe wasn't a cruise; it was a 14 day Rick Steves tour and the amount of planning and binder prep was so much fun! But I was hooked on travel and Europe. And we took another Rick Steves tour of London a couple of years later; I loved London so much, too. I teach, and a souvenir tote bag decorated with little black London taxis is still my daily teacher bag 5 years later! We went on Princess to Alaska two summers ago, and I was browsing cruise critic in prep for seeing Scotland and Ireland and found your wonderful travel diary. I was especially interested in Edinburgh because our goddaughter graduated from University of Edinburgh and I really want to see the city she adores. I also really really want to see the Tattoo, so plan an August cruise. Your story has given me the impetus to get going with my plans!! Thanks again. So glad they haven't removed your story! Congrats on the new little one! I know he will be a world traveler in no time.

Emily, what a joy it has been to read this ENTIRE thread this evening...laughing, grinning all the while! I have been thinking of this UK cruise for a few years now. You remind me of me, with the planning and excitement. Our first trip to Europe wasn't a cruise; it was a 14 day Rick Steves tour and the amount of planning and binder prep was so much fun! But I was hooked on travel and Europe. And we took another Rick Steves tour of London a couple of years later; I loved London so much, too. I teach, and a souvenir tote bag decorated with little black London taxis is still my daily teacher bag 5 years later! We went on Princess to Alaska two summers ago, and I was browsing cruise critic in prep for seeing Scotland and Ireland and found your wonderful travel diary. I was especially interested in Edinburgh because our goddaughter graduated from University of Edinburgh and I really want to see the city she adores. I also really really want to see the Tattoo, so plan an August cruise. Your story has given me the impetus to get going with my plans!! Thanks again. So glad they haven't removed your story! Congrats on the new little one! I know he will be a world traveler in no time.

Thank you MaChere!! Rick Steves' "London" book was perfect and I liked it better than the others I had read. I was able to meet him in person at a Travel Expo here in Los Angeles. Sweet guy (and much more suave and less nerdy in real life ;)).

Edinburgh is the most gorgeous city I've ever seen. You will love it. The Tattoo is a Bucket List item for me. August is a must!

You will absolutely enjoy the cruise if you pick Princess to take you there!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi,

:)Thanks so much for this fun travellogue. We just booked our British Isles cruise for August 2014 (rainy month? Ahhhh!!!) and I'm so excited. I just started reading your wonderful review and can't wait to keep on reading. Too bad that some of the pictures are gone:(.

Stef

Hi Stef,

Yeah, the links are bad for some of the early pics and most of Liverpool because I switched albums in Photobucket around that time and there's no way to go back and edit Cruise Critic threads. There should be a link at the bottom of each post with the full album, including the ones you can't see. They're all on Photobucket. :)

August 2014 will be here before you know it! You have lots of time to plan now! :cool::D

Hi Stef,

Yeah, the links are bad for some of the early pics and most of Liverpool because I switched albums in Photobucket around that time and there's no way to go back and edit Cruise Critic threads. There should be a link at the bottom of each post with the full album, including the ones you can't see. They're all on Photobucket. :)

August 2014 will be here before you know it! You have lots of time to plan now! :cool::D

We are planning a 2014 British Isles cruise, and have found your 'thesis' a wonderful help with our research! Thanks so much for posting this thread. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Emily! I just happened to come across your review recently scrolling through CC on the Princess forums. I'm not planning a British Isles Cruise anytime soon but my interest was piqued when I saw the title. For some reason the word "thesis" intrigued me and I quickly got pulled in. I really loved your way of writing I felt as though I was reading a good book. I had to write to you because tonight I was watching an episode of House Hunters International and the couple on the show were moving to Belfast. The scenery they filmed was really pretty and they even went to the Titanic Museum. I got so excited because I just finished your "book" yesterday and it's all still fresh in my mind. You actually got me interested in another part of the world that I haven't given much thought about visiting before. I know they repeat the show many times and in case you're not familiar with it, it airs on HGTV. You may have even seen it already! :)

P.S. We are somewhat neighbors as well because I live in SoCal also. More inland though... Abby :)

Hi Emily! I just happened to come across your review recently scrolling through CC on the Princess forums. I'm not planning a British Isles Cruise anytime soon but my interest was piqued when I saw the title. For some reason the word "thesis" intrigued me and I quickly got pulled in. I really loved your way of writing I felt as though I was reading a good book. I had to write to you because tonight I was watching an episode of House Hunters International and the couple on the show were moving to Belfast. The scenery they filmed was really pretty and they even went to the Titanic Museum. I got so excited because I just finished your "book" yesterday and it's all still fresh in my mind. You actually got me interested in another part of the world that I haven't given much thought about visiting before. I know they repeat the show many times and in case you're not familiar with it, it airs on HGTV. You may have even seen it already! :)

P.S. We are somewhat neighbors as well because I live in SoCal also. More inland though... Abby :)

Hi Abby!

That's awesome! I'll have to keep an eye out for that episode. We don't have cable but we have Hulu Plus so it may be on there. We used to be HUGE House Hunter fans, even meeting Suzanne Whang at a book signing in L.A. and getting our picture with her (like dorks). I don't even think she's the host anymore - just the voice. I'm originally from Upland. Is that inland enough? Glad you liked the trip report. Can't believe it's still floating around out there!

That's pretty neat that you met her, I forgot they used to have a host. Yeah, they don't have one anymore but I think you're right, that's her voice narrating. Hope you get a chance to watch it sometime... I am somewhat familiar with Highland. My mom lived there many years ago. My husband Mike (another thing we have in common!) and I now live in the Riverside area after living in Palm Desert for the first four years of our marriage.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and soon to be new arrival! I wish you all the best, Abby

Hi Emily,

Read your review today whilst looking for info on the Emerald Princess. It truly is a superb review, and I think it is a must read for non-UK cruisers thinking of doing a similar itinerary. Being from Scotland, it's not an itinerary that my wife and I will ever do, however I can understand the attraction. Thanks again..

emily & mike,

know november is going to be an exciting time for you & your families !

am sure your "thesis" will be THE handbook for years to come for many cruisers !

i started a review - made it thru the 10 days prior to cruise & stopped after boarding ship -

so many events have interfered so do not know when i'll get back to the cruise & the 6 days after -

have loaned my binder & travel books to some friends who are going next may -

it has all my notes in it !!:eek:

please post the baby news !!! ann & jim

Edited by loma linda ca a & j

Best review we have ever seen anywhere. Princess should use it in their advertising. We are doing the same cruise next year August. I was searching CC for info on this cruise and I'm glad I found this tread. The info you gave is awesome.

Thank you so much.

Theo

Best review we have ever seen anywhere. Princess should use it in their advertising. We are doing the same cruise next year August. I was searching CC for info on this cruise and I'm glad I found this tread. The info you gave is awesome.

Thank you so much.

Theo

Check out our Roll Call on the Caribbean Princess August 16, 2013, post # 2965 shows all the private tours we used.

Hi Emily,

Read your review today whilst looking for info on the Emerald Princess. It truly is a superb review, and I think it is a must read for non-UK cruisers thinking of doing a similar itinerary. Being from Scotland, it's not an itinerary that my wife and I will ever do, however I can understand the attraction. Thanks again..

Thanks so much! You guys live in an incredible country. One that I would LOVE to live in. I suppose it's like people coming out here to visit Hollywood and Los Angeles and all I can think of is, "Ugh, why?" ;)

Thank you so much.

Theo

Hi Theo -- thanks! I coincidentally happen to live in the same city as the headquarters for Princess and, believe me, they are #1 on my job hunt in the upcoming year(s). You will have a great time and August will come up sooner than you know! :D