On the Grand Formal was formal,

very high number of tux

then dark suites

some folks with shirt and tie

and only one person I saw with no tie.

and he did stick out from the crowd

yours Shogun

Where is it suggested or requested?

The guidelines for formal night for men says "Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks.

A tie is not mentioned.

(Elsewhere it does say shoes must be worn.)[/quote

On all the Princess cruises we have been on (7) I haven't seen many men without ties on Formal nights. Even if no jacket is worn , most men had a proper tie . On one cruise we had a group ranchers from Alberta Ca on board . You could see uncomfortable most with with ties.

Just why should any gentleman object to the wearing of a tie on Formal Night in the MDR's? There is after all the Horizon Court.

john

I don't really OBJECT to wearing a tie. I prefer to be tieless because the cruise line does not require it.

You may also eat at the Horizon court if you desire. I find that it is very handy if I have other activities and want a quick meal.

I am a tie wearer and I can tell you whilst I was on both Ruby and Coral last year dress code was pretty well enforced on Formal nights in MDR. I think it all depends on the calibre of the Maitre' D, some have the guts to do it and instruct their staff accordingly or some are too weak to enforce the policy and thus their staff follow.

Really if Princess is not going to enforce their dress code policy, abolish it, but I would prefer to see it retained, tradition and all that.

Just my two cents worth. But I agree with other posters, this topic is done and dusted.

Before you put the tie on, slide your thumb under the collar. If it is uncomfortable to do so, the collar is too small. Buy a bigger shirt and wear the tie on it.

For me, there is a range of 'formal'. If you are concerned, just stay out of the MDR for those nights. I do not see this thread supplying light to the decision.

I no longer bring a jacket or tie. I wear a long sleeved shirt with dress pants. Never had a problem or felt out of place

Ditto.

It took me several cruises to realize that they don't really enforce anything in the MDR. I finally started wearing black slacks, black shirt, and a variety of ties and love it. I figure that I fall somewhere in the mid-range, since there is bound to be someone in there in jeans and a pearl-button cowboy shirt.

I no longer bring a jacket or tie. I wear a long sleeved shirt with dress pants. Never had a problem or felt out of place

Ditto.

It took me several cruises to realize that they don't really enforce anything in the MDR. I finally started wearing black slacks, black shirt, and a variety of ties and love it. I figure that I fall somewhere in the mid-range, since there is bound to be someone in there in jeans and a pearl-button cowboy shirt.

Unfortunately for some people it takes them years to realize the same thing and abandon their formal clothing. All it take is a decent shirt & dress pants to gain entrance to the dining room and be very comfortable in the process. Let the people who still wish to dress do their own thing.

Ditto.

I much prefer seeing that type of attire rather than the ill-fitting tuxedos and the fake Rolex watches.

If you received a invitation to a wedding or a formal party and this wording appeared at the bottom of the invitation:

Please observe the dress code,

Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

Would you show up without a jacket or tie. I think not.

This is a request of Princess to bring some dignity to formal nights and it has been demonstrated time and time again, to the frustration of some, that the vast majority of people observe the request.

Then there are some who devote up to 30% of their posts encouraging people to disregard their host's request and yes the host is not likely going to create a scene by turning the guest away at the door if they are improperly dressed. However, I have had the experience of sitting with improperly dressed people at formal nights, one couple felt so embarrassed they didn't return for the other nights and yet another gentleman took a real berating from his wife, it went along the lines of "I told you so".

We all know what the dress code is and what is expected of us when we purchase the cruise, I really fail to understand why some want to boar us with their view of what the code is and how little you can get away with. There some that from the moment you see there name you know what they are going to say on the subject. Why not save a lot of time and energy and book with a line that has a more casual dress code; or if you want to cruise with Princess conform to the dress code instead of attempting to have people dress down to your level?

If you received a invitation to a wedding or a formal party and this wording appeared at the bottom of the invitation:

Please observe the dress code,

Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

Would you show up without a jacket or tie. I think not.

This is a request of Princess to bring some dignity to formal nights and it has been demonstrated time and time again, to the frustration of some, that the vast majority of people observe the request.

Then there are some who devote up to 30% of their posts encouraging people to disregard their host's request and yes the host is not likely going to create a scene by turning the guest away at the door if they are improperly dressed. However, I have had the experience of sitting with improperly dressed people at formal nights, one couple felt so embarrassed they didn't return for the other nights and yet another gentleman took a real berating from his wife, it went along the lines of "I told you so".

We all know what the dress code is and what is expected of us when we purchase the cruise, I really fail to understand why some want to boar us with their view of what the code is and how little you can get away with. There some that from the moment you see there name you know what they are going to say on the subject. Why not save a lot of time and energy and book with a line that has a more casual dress code; or if you want to cruise with Princess conform to the dress code instead of attempting to have people dress down to your level?

No one is trying to influence people from dressing as formally as they like but simply pointing out that Princess is past the point of requiring people to conform to a strict dress code that you seem to prefer. Isn't that point of having an informative cruise board? Anyone can read for themselves what Princess publishes & decide what to wear for themselves but asking a question about the reality of the situation really is more helpful that simply posting the "rules" which are not enforced with any great zeal. Sure most people do dress up & if that's what the OP wants then they should go for it so they do fit in with the majority. Princess has adapted themselves with a dress code to satisfy just about anyone so there no need to switch cruise lines to find a more comfortable fit.

btw- The only thing the OP was asking about was wearing a tie......not shorts & a baseball cap on a formal night.

Hi Everyone,

As the OP's question has been asked and answered (and then some), this thread is now closed.

Happy Father's Day !

Archived