Ties on Formal Night

cstreece

Would someone be so kind as to tell me if ties are required on formal night on Princess Cruises? We are good with dark jackets and pants, nice shirts and dress shoes and socks. But a tie is really a stretch for my engineer husband and 15-year-old son who wear t-shirts and jeans and tennis shoes every day. I have one friend who told me "My dad has been on dozens of cruises and he gave up wearing a tie to anything but funerals 10 years ago." But I know that it ruins the atmosphere for all when the apparel rules are ignored! (And I don't want to be that family.) :)

Cindy in Texas (second-time cruiser; first time to Alaska)

There will be people who say of course it's required but that's strictly up to you whether to wear one or not. There's nowhere that it's said you're required to wear one so why bother to have that rope around you neck? People have been forgoing the tie for years now & unless your a salesman, banker or car dealer, relax since your on vacation & no one really cares what you wear.

It's not required. It's requested, and the vast majority of men in the MDR will be wearing ties. I wear jeans and Ts every day (that's what I'm wearing now), but I enjoy dressing up and have learned to tie a tie so that it doesn't feel like a rope around my neck, but a properly tied necktie.

somewhere it says that it is suggested.

It's not required. It's requested, and the vast majority of men in the MDR will be wearing ties.

Where is it suggested or requested?

The guidelines for formal night for men says "Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks.

A tie is not mentioned.

(Elsewhere it does say shoes must be worn.)

Where is it suggested or requested?

The guidelines for formal night for men says "Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks.

A tie is not mentioned.

(Elsewhere it does say shoes must be worn.)

Busted. It's obviously nitpickery to project "tie" onto "we request you wear a tux or suit." But hey, it doesn't say socks, either. Or for that matter, a shirt. I think bare-chested is so much more comfy than wearing one of those icky confining shirts. And hey, it's my vacation and I paid for it.

Oh hey, look! It only says "Shoes must be worn" on smart casual nights. Barechested and barefooted on formal nights? I'm there!

(Full disclosure edit - I don't wear a tie at formal nights, either, as my favorite tux shirt has a tieless mandarin collar - slightly retro but fully acceptable formalwear. But this time, having been enlightened on CC, maybe I'll forego the shirt altogether.)

I think that a man wearing a sports coat with a shirt or mock turtleneck sweater, and NO tie, is so sexy. :cool:

I try to talk my hubby into NOT wearing a tie, but he always chickens-out so as not to be different. ;)

Would someone be so kind as to tell me if ties are required on formal night on Princess Cruises? We are good with dark jackets and pants, nice shirts and dress shoes and socks. But a tie is really a stretch for my engineer husband and 15-year-old son who wear t-shirts and jeans and tennis shoes every day. I have one friend who told me "My dad has been on dozens of cruises and he gave up wearing a tie to anything but funerals 10 years ago." But I know that it ruins the atmosphere for all when the apparel rules are ignored! (And I don't want to be that family.) :)

To begin, you are on an Alaska cruise and those tend to be less formal that other areas; at least that's been my experience. I've seen more diversity in dress on "formal" nights on our Alaska cruise then anywhere else. I, too, am a jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers kind of person but still don't mind observing the intent of formal night so I wear a tux (with tie).

For you, if you think you are going to feel out of place then do what you think will make you and your family comfortable on these nights. Don't over think it, though.:)

Larry

IMO I believe it to be an unwritten rule that a man should wear a tie on formal night, in the MDR. As noted earlier shoes are not mentioned either, but a little common sense dictates that they should be worn, unless there is a medical reason.

john

To begin, you are on an Alaska cruise and those tend to be less formal that other areas; at least that's been my experience. I've seen more diversity in dress on "formal" nights on our Alaska cruise then anywhere else. I, too, am a jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers kind of person but still don't mind observing the intent of formal night so I wear a tux (with tie).

For you, if you think you are going to feel out of place then do what you think will make you and your family comfortable on these nights. Don't over think it, though.:)

Larry

This statement always makes me wonder. I have done three Alaskan cruises all on Princess since 2002 and find tuxes and dark suits to be just as common as on Caribbean or Canada/New England. Far more men dress the formal route than those who want to dress "more casually actually admit to." I have decided that saying that many don't observe the dress codes simply makes those that don't feel better about not doing it themselves.

The bottom line is that you won't be denied entrance to the dining room without a tie. That said, wearing no tie or jacket is casual dress, not formal, under any definition. If you choose to dress casually on formal nights, that's your right, but don't call or consider it OK or acceptable for "formal" dress. You'll just be getting away with it, kind of like going 70mph in a 60mph speed zone.

It's FORMAL...ties go with the tux or suit that many will wear. Will you be denied entrance? No, probably not...but you will not be dressed "formally". A tie takes up NO room...throw one into your husband's and son's stuff...they'll be happy you did.

How can someone define "formal" dress without a tie is beyond me?

It is really sad how we are failing to set an example and train young folks to dress appropriately today.

Ever where I turn I see folks of all ages in every day life dress that is the most slobby I have ever seen. It seems to get worse all the time. People apparently do not look at themselves.

I feel sorry for the young folks today. I hate to see what they will look like when they get to be seniors, when they don't learn to take care of themselves and their appearance when they are young. I am sure I am in the minority with this opinon but it is how I feel.

Only the immigrants where I live take the time to dress in a refined manner.

Probably for the same reason some of us get upset when folks drive well over the speed limit or run stop signs. Granted no one is going to get hurt by now wearing a tie. But if you know the suggested dress code is formal, why find the need to be a non-conformist?

Like the OP's DH, I am an engineer. I have never worn a tie in the MDR nor do I wear one anywhere at home. In the Caribbean I wear sandals not shoes and socks in the MDR. I have never had a problem. Open collared shirts for me.

Probably for the same reason some of us get upset when folks drive well over the speed limit or run stop signs. Granted no one is going to get hurt by now wearing a tie. But if you know the suggested dress code is formal, why find the need to be a non-conformist?

Those whose attire is not allowed by Princess MDR personnel are denied entry into the MDR.

I will respect your choice of attire as long as you respond in kind and respect mine. We have many choices that are now accepted by the cruise line, so we are all "conformists".

Like the OP's DH, I am an engineer. I have never worn a tie in the MDR nor do I wear one anywhere at home. In the Caribbean I wear sandals not shoes and socks in the MDR. I have never had a problem. Open collared shirts for me.

I am an engineer too, so let me say this need to dress down i not because people are engineers. I have no problems wearing a tie with a suit and have no problem wearing a tux (with a tie) on formal nights.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me if ties are required on formal night on Princess Cruises? We are good with dark jackets and pants, nice shirts and dress shoes and socks. But a tie is really a stretch for my engineer husband and 15-year-old son who wear t-shirts and jeans and tennis shoes every day...

Hi Cindy -

We just got back from a 7-day Alaska on Princess. The vast majority of adults in the MDR were wearing suits or better. That being said, I don't think one should feel out of place for NOT wearing a tie. Nor are they really required per se. Yes, the printed dress code says one thing, but in the reality they aren't going to turn someone away from the dining room for not having a tie on.

For reference, I just wore a long sleeve button up shirt and tie, no jacket (which put me in the minority). You can see it in one of my pics, linked from my signature at the very bottom. I never felt like anyone was critiquing the way I was dressed.

I am an engineer too, so let me say this need to dress down i not because people are engineers. I have no problems wearing a tie with a suit and have no problem wearing a tux (with a tie) on formal nights.

I'm glad you replied. My husband has a PHD in Engineering, and wears a tie more days to work than not. And every day at least starts his day in his office in a sport coat.

I have never heard him say that because of his chosen career choice, he doesn't need to "dress up". :rolleyes: What a crock.:D

Would someone be so kind as to tell me if ties are required on formal night on Princess Cruises?

But I know that it ruins the atmosphere for all when the apparel rules are ignored! (And I don't want to be that family.) :)

No, ties are not Required.

However wearing a tie is assumed on "formal" nights. Your last comment makes me think you want your family to be in the majority. If so, pack a tie. If you don't care, then skip the ties. Your choice.

Archived