Any have this - Karaoke Hostess Hogging the Time Slots?

MomofBoyz

On my last few cruises, I've noticed that the karaoke hostess gets up and sings while cuisers are still waiting their turn.

On the Ecstasy, she actually sang while there were only about 15 minutes left for the evening. Guess she really wanted to get in her version of Red Neck Girl...odd at best.

Just wondering...anyone else experience this?

One time on the Miracle, we went to the "extreme" karaoke that is backed up by the live band, I was really excited for it. The hostess sang to start off with because no one had signed up yet (I guess) she was so bad we left halfway into her second song:eek: LOL

On my last few cruises, I've noticed that the karaoke hostess gets up and sings while cuisers are still waiting their turn.

On the Ecstasy, she actually sang while there were only about 15 minutes left for the evening. Guess she really wanted to get in her version of Red Neck Girl...odd at best.

Oh no! A khog?!

Exactly. I understand about getting it started but on Sensation several years ago, the hostess sang a song in her native tongue, can't remember which language, but she dedicated it to her boyfriend who took his life.

Love karaoke and never been to it with a live band...can't imagine!

Very good with a live band but sometimes they will drown out the singer.

Which is sometimes a good thing.;)

We experienced this on our last cruise on the Imagination. She was an odd duck and would start singing with the cruisers even though they were doing fine without her.

Just off the "Dream" where the karaoke hostess, Ana, was GREAT, and we never heard her sing even one song. The hostess for the "SuperStar Karaoke" (live band karaoke) was excellent as well. She did sing one song to get the session started, but after that, only sang "back up" for the passengers who sang. All in all, an excellent ship for us "karaoke buffs". ;)

"SKY"

Exactly. I understand about getting it started but on Sensation several years ago, the hostess sang a song in her native tongue, can't remember which language, but she dedicated it to her boyfriend who took his life.

While I am sorry for her loss, this is not appropriate for a venue where people are supposed to be having a good time and buying drinks. Sorta depressing.

Be sure to try "SuperStar" next cruise. I think you'll LOVE doing it. One of the best things about singing with a live band, is that if you get ahead, or behind the beat,,,,or you miss a key change,,,,the band will work to stay with you,,,plus the fact that it's just lots more fun singing with a live band. It's FANTASTIC!

"SKY"

They will sing when others do not sign up. Have never seen a khog.

Saw that too. Once on Spirit I was walking past the room where the host was trying to get singers and said if nobody came forward he'd sing. I told him I'd sing and after the first song, he asked me to sing again. Eventually I sang 3 songs before I left for dinner. As I passed the room after dinner he had plenty of "singers" and a large crowd. Sometimes it takes a few drinks I guess. (I wasn't drinking)

I can understand being frustrated with how the entertainment is being run, but to run and "tell on them" is odd to me. There is so much to do on the ship, move on and find another venue to be entertained.

I have traveled as a guest of a staff worker my cruise card said staff on it we liked to sit in the lounge b4 dinner listening to the cover band he told us if it got crowded to stand and let passengers sit

I have never experienced this....

usually the karaoke hosts (if they sing at all) will usually start the night, fill in if they do not have enough sign ups....

and yes, this was the wrong thing for them to do. IF there was limited time, it should have gone to the passengers.

• 3 weeks later...

Just off the Magic yesterday. The karaoke host (he was male; why does everyone on this thread assume they were all female) did not sing at all, just like on the Liberty. So he obviously didn't hog timeslots. And he seemed very fair about assigning turns (again, just like on the Liberty). I'm guessing the ones that hog the timeslots are unusual.

Archived