Warnemunde & gdansk ???'s.....

timandnancy

We walked off the ship in Warnemunde and 100-200 yds away was the train station. Easy to purchase a ticket for Rostock. Arrived in Rostock, unfortunately it was on a Sunday morning so not much was open but did walk around town and it was lovely. I believe we then took a tram to the city center which was also easy to do.

We took a pleasure boat back to Warnemunde that was filled with locals going to the beach at Warnemunde so that was lots of fun. That boat docked next to the O ship so the walk back was just a few feet. Warnemunde is a really nice town to wander through and had a great beachy feel. Sorry, our tour didn't go to Gdansk so I can't help you.

We were in Warnemünde on the Regent Voyager in 2006. We signed up for a walking tour of Rostock and were taken there and back in a river boat! A lovely way to go. Rostock is beautiful. Almost completely reconstructed now after the War and the problems in East Germany. Lovely large main squares, beautiful "Hanseatic" style buildings and many sculptures around the town including a fabulous fountain and an intriguiing goat! Our tour also included a visit to the Stasi HQ which was a spine-chilling experience.

We were docked in Wernemunde in July, 2008. We got the train to Rostock very close to where the ship was docked. At the Rosa Luxemborg station we changed to the tram #6 and got off at the Neu Markt stop. This put us in close proximity of the TI booth where we got a map of the city. It's a great walking city and very beautiful. We saw the Town Hall, Five Gable House, University (the oldest in northern Europe), and Kropeliner Gate. After lunch we visited the St. marien's Catholic church, dating back to 1230. We took the boat back to Wernemunde and thoroughly enjoyed that. It was a wonderful day. Enjoy.

Harriet

We were on b2b to Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji and New Caledonia in Feb. and March. We received our bronze pins as the second leg was our fifth with O. No other cruise planned until our Black Sea cruise on Riviera in July, 2013. In between, we will focus on land trips to LA, San Francisco ~maybe a Bay cruise :) ~ New York, Austin and San Antonio, and Maui.

Hope you are well; enjoy your upcoming cruises.

Harriet

I'm on Baltic Treasures on August 11 and have been doing a lot of research. Gdansk sounds wonderful, but Marina docks in Gydnia, so you'll need to take one of O's excursions (easiest, and less expensive than the Scandanavian/Russian ones) or else take a cab to the train station in Gydnia ($10 or less; about 5-10 minutes) and then take the SKM commuter train to Gdansk. It is about 40 minutes away by train. From the train station in Gdansk Glowny (central station) it's a 10-15 minute walk (or short tram ride) to the central town area which has been beautifully restored. The solidarity stuff and shipyards are also not too far from the train station; Westerplatte a little harder/farther to get to; Oliwa (spelling?) and Nowy Port lighthouse even more so. Gdansk seems a bit challenging as many (most?) people don't speak English, and zlotys are used as currency, though I'm told some euros are taken. To get to Sopot, you can take same train (closer/cheaper). I don't think there's much to see in Gydnia itself, and I don't think there's a shuttle. There's a public bus that runs from the dock to the train station, but you need zlotys, and there's no place to get money changed as there's not much at the dock, so cab is really the best way to start the journey. I'm told that cab drivers WILL take U.S. dollars to go to the station, and some will even take you to Gdansk, or there for the day for a tour. If you hire someone for that, I would suggest making sure the person speaks decent English, and be aware that some of the major areas are pedestrian only, so the driver can only do so much. The good news is that Gdansk is cheap compared to the rest of the ports we visit - and it looks beautiful.

As to Warnemunde, there is a great discussion of it (and a link to a web site) by someone named Anni in the "Ports" section. Warnemunde is a part of Rostock. There's a ferry across the river, very close to where the ship docks, to a beachy area (Hohe Dune or something like that) or you can go past the near by train station to get to Warnemunde. It seems to have some nice attractions. Of course, Rostock is also an option (and I think there's a ferry between Warn and Rostock), and Berlin if you're willing to do the long train ride. They are working on the tracks for the fast ICE train this summer, and the trains are slower than usual - at least for the day/time we will be there (Sunday, Aug. 12). I am struggling to plan a trip to Berlin on the trains - but it is looking quite discouraging at this point due to the timing!

If you're interested, I'll see if I can find the link for Anni's web site tomorrow. Time for me to go to sleep and dream of our upcoming trip. Can't wait. Have fun on yours. I have some questions; maybe when you come back you can answer them for me!

We were in Gdynia/Gdansk last year on Marina. Ship docked in Gdynia. There was a free shuttle from the ship to a square in downtown Gdynia. From there it was a 3-4 block walk down a big street to the train station--hit an ATM on the way for zlotys. Short train ride to Gdansk. Trains run very frequently. Once in Gdansk very short walk to the Old Town.

We were in Gdynia/Gdansk last year on Marina. Ship docked in Gdynia. There was a free shuttle from the ship to a square in downtown Gdynia. From there it was a 3-4 block walk down a big street to the train station--hit an ATM on the way for zlotys. Short train ride to Gdansk. Trains run very frequently. Once in Gdansk very short walk to the Old Town.

Wow, that's good news; thanks! I hope they're doing it this year!

Thank you posting. Did Marina provide shuttles in any other ports

Hopefully legaleagle will come back on and answer that question - at least with last year's info! I DO know that in Ronne, Denmark, there is a shuttle (city run) from where the ship docks to the info center, Europcar, and the place where buses come to take residents/visitors to various towns on the island. I was told (by the port of Ronne) that it starts running at 8:50 (10 mins. before we're supposed to dock, at least for my Aug. 11 Copenhagen to Stockholm cruise) and that the shuttle runs every 20 minutes.

It looks like there MIGHT be a little golf cart train type shuttle in Visby, Sweden, but I don't know where it goes. Visby appears to be quite walkable. It's the smallest place we'll be, and the old church ruins, medieval city walls, botanical garden, market square, cafes, etc. are fairly close to the water. We tender in Visby, and I don't know where we'll be tendered TO, but I can't imagine it's much of a walk into the old part of the city. Of course, it depends upon how much a person can or wants to walk.

Archived