Rise in cost of checked bags

Planning my trip to Europe with a Med cruise for next year. Delta/Air France has raised thier baggages fees to $75-80. I was considering bringing a hide-away-duffle to fill with souvieners and pay the $50 fee on the way home, but via Air France it will cost me $75.00.

I'm thinking I can ship UPS/FedEx for cheaper than that can't I? Should I consider shipping some stuff home?

Planning my trip to Europe with a Med cruise for next year. Delta/Air France has raised thier baggages fees to $75-80. I was considering bringing a hide-away-duffle to fill with souvieners and pay the $50 fee on the way home, but via Air France it will cost me $75.00.

I'm thinking I can ship UPS/FedEx for cheaper than that can't I? Should I consider shipping some stuff home?

Delta still has no fee for the first bag, and if a second bag is checked online, the fee is $60 - $75 at checkin.

In the total scheme of things, the increased cost of an extra bag is a fraction of your total cruise costs, including airfare, extra hotel stays, excursions, etc. My advice - don't sweat the small stuff.

We had a package shipped home from Italy, it weighed less than 10 lbs. The cost was $80. The item, a Venetian mask would have taken up half the suitcase since we would have had to pack it with a lot of tissue.

My sister and her husband did the same thing with a platter, I think they paid more than we did.

Both items arrived to our homes undamaged and it was worth the cost to us.

I think it would depend on what you wanted to ship. Like the above poster said, shipping a light but large item may be worth the extra money & space.

Honestly I worry about shipping things across the ocean, or in general. I never feel quite right when it isn't in my possession.

Archived