Overdressing

ednria

You can (if you so wish) wear whatever you like whenever and wherever you like . It matters not what people think about you or say about you to their companions. Whatever it is that they think or say, they certainly will not say anything to you. I thought it was rather odd that people walked around various areas of the ship dressed in their Cunard dressing gowns - and commented so to my companions -- but my thoughts and comments were meaningless. I also thought the man with the extreme Elvis Presley hairstyle and rockn'roll clothes was also a bit "out there" - but who cares , he enjoyed his cruise

Barry

You can (if you so wish) wear whatever you like whenever and wherever you like . It matters not what people think about you or say about you to their companions. Whatever it is that they think or say, they certainly will not say anything to you. I thought it was rather odd that people walked around various areas of the ship dressed in their Cunard dressing gowns - and commented so to my companions -- but my thoughts and comments were meaningless. I also thought the man with the extreme Elvis Presley hairstyle and rockn'roll clothes was also a bit "out there" - but who cares , he enjoyed his cruise

Barry

Agree 100% and it was great meeting you, wish we had more time

Barry

Often I find the ones that are "out there" as you put it are the most interesting to talk to though I do appreciate they and their dress sense can "ruin" the formal cruise experience for some. Perhaps I just see and accept their eccentricity as a reflection of my own occasionally odd ways. I like your live and let live attitude.

M-AR

What a refreshing attitude some people have. How delightful that, despite dress codes, people can wear whatever they like, whenever and wherever they like. :rolleyes:

Like all ideas, although you think it may be confined to one particular aspect, the application can, and will, be taken in directions you'd never dreamed of.

Chewing with your mouth open? Why not? Do as you wish, who cares what people think, or the comfort of others.

Fart at the table? Why not? Do as you wish, who cares what people think, or the comfort of others. And don't forget - you're on holiday :D you should be able to relax.

Eats with your hands? Absolutely, table etiquette is so old hat; we're all refreshingly modern now. We do as we wish, whenever we want, irrespective of others.

And, to be completely clear, I am referring to those people who are not adhering to the dress code.

What a refreshing attitude some people have. How delightful that, despite dress codes, people can wear whatever they like. :rolleyes:

Like all ideas, although you think it may be confined to one particular aspect, the application can, and will, be taken in directions you'd never dreamed of.

Chewing with your mouth open? Why not? Do as you wish, who cares what people think, or the comfort of others.

Fart at the table? Why not? Do as you wish, who cares what people think, or the comfort of others. And don't forget - you're on holiday :D you should be able to relax.

Eats with your hands? Absolutely, table etiquette is so old hat; we're all refreshingly modern now. We do as we wish, whenever we want, irrespective of others.

And, to be completely clear, I am referring to those people who are not adhering to the dress code.

OK, fess up! When exactly did you share a table with me?

:cool:

J

OK, fess up! When exactly did you share a table with me?

:cool:

J

Cruachan, Wot?! Have you left your post and wandered up to the Grills? You'll lose your place on the bench! :eek:

Edited to add: Sorry. I know you would never leave your post.

Despite trying to be clear, I realise I've been a little unclear. I'll now try to clear things up :o I was referring to people that don't meet the minimum dress code guidelines.

You "can" do whatever you like in life - as long as you are also prepared to accept the consequences of your actions.

As far as I can see, if someone did wish to dress as they please on a Cunard ship, there would be little consequence. Maybe some "tut-tutting" done behind the perceived offenders back, probably a refusal to eat in the MDR - but not much else.

I quite enjoyed the "style" of Cunard - including the dress code, but I am not too stressed if others do not wish to adhere to it completely. Sorry if that attitude upsets some. :)

Barry

You "can" do whatever you like in life - as long as you are also prepared to accept the consequences of your actions.

I thought I read a post by your good self that your were an ex-naval man ? ( I maybe have mixed you up with someone else of course ). But if you were in the armed forces then I'm surprised by your views.

I thought I read a post by your good self that your were an ex-naval man ? ( I maybe have mixed you up with someone else of course ). But if you were in the armed forces then I'm surprised by your views.

You must have missed the inverted commas around my use of the word CAN -- or else don't understand the meaning of them???

We all have free will - even those of us in the Services :) However there are also always consequences from using our free will. We all can therefore use our free will - but have to accept the consequences. I guess that perhaps this is just a little too esoteric for discussions regarding a mundane subject such as Cunard dress guides :)

Barry

What a refreshing attitude some people have. How delightful that, despite dress codes, people can wear whatever they like, whenever and wherever they like. :rolleyes:

I still fart at the table. Unfortunately, there's no dog around to blame it on!

In the old days on Cunard and P&O, people dressed for dinner every night in the grills and didn't need a bit of paper to say which nights were formal.

I agree that it was very rare on QE2 that one needed to look at the daily programme to work out the dress code for the evening.

I recall that on the World Cruises, there was also a large monthly map in each cabin, and the dress code was stated in advance for each day of the month.

However, I do not mind a bit of variety in evening wear, so I actually prefer the current dress code. I think it is better than the old days on QE2.

LOL!! that was great. Good to see humor is still out there alive & kicking.

:)

But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas!

But it's all right, Im jumpin jack flash,

Its a gas! gas! gas!

-The Rolling Stones

Songwriters: JAGGER, MICK / RICHARDS, KEITH

In the old days on Cunard and P&O, people dressed for dinner every night in the grills and didn't need a bit of paper to say which nights were formal.

I took my first voyage in l954, Karachi to Liverpool, on a ship called "Cilesia" and yes apart from first and last nights we dressed for dinner every night (trip took 21 days).

Jim and I were at the Captains table, for all 21 days , 3 meals a day, Captain joined us for lunch and dinner. Dinner menu was 5 pages long!

No Baked Alaska,- last but one night we had the parade of the Haggis, complete with piper in full regalia.

I took my first voyage in l954, Karachi to Liverpool, on a ship called "Cilesia" and yes apart from first and last nights we dressed for dinner every night (trip took 21 days).

Jim and I were at the Captains table, for all 21 days , 3 meals a day, Captain joined us for lunch and dinner. Dinner menu was 5 pages long!

No Baked Alaska,- last but one night we had the parade of the Haggis, complete with piper in full regalia.

Ah, I can understand the haggis and piper if she's the ship I think she was. Could it have been "Cilicia" of the Anchor Line (Glasgow)? Built in 1938 by Fairfields of Govan; her ownership passed to another Glasgow line (Moor Line) in 1965 then, in 1966, she took the name Jan Backx and went to the Dutch Stevedoring Training College in Rotterdam as a training hulk. She was finally broken up in Bilbao in 1980.

There's a nice photo of her here:

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1038233

J

Ah, I can understand the haggis and piper if she's the ship I think she was. Could it have been "Cilicia" of the Anchor Line (Glasgow)? Built in 1938 by Fairfields of Govan; her ownership passed to another Glasgow line (Moor Line) in 1965 then, in 1966, she took the name Jan Backx and went to the Dutch Stevedoring Training College in Rotterdam as a training hulk. She was finally broken up in Bilbao in 1980.

There's a nice photo of her here:

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1038233

J

Oh my goodness Cruachan, never thought I would be sitting here in Florida and see that photograph. Thank you for posting it , brings back many memories of a time when Jim and I were young.

Yes it is the same ship, I put an "s "into her name instead of a "c". She was doing the journey from Pakistan to Liverpool, there were two ships doing that trip in those days, the other was the notorious "Batory", notorious because she had the KGB on board!

Would not have thought you old enough to know either of these ships.

Compared to the QM2 the Cilecia may not look much but she was THE ship for UK passengers returning home from Government service "out East", and the social conventions were most definitely observed.

Archived