Why all the Anchorage hate?

lrowe70

Ok, maybe hate is too strong a word, but it seems a lot of people on cc don't want to go to Anchorage.

Over the past month I've read comments such as, "There's nothing to do in Anchorage." "Anchorage isn't worth the trip." "Anchorage isn't really Alaska." and "Since you have a day to tour Anchorage, you should go to Seward."

Uuuuummmmm WHAT!!!! :confused:

Anchorage is the largest city in the state, half the population lives here. Trust me, 300,000 people are not just sitting here twiddling our thumbs.

I can't imagine someone going to New York and someone telling them not to go to NYC because it's not real New York. Or better yet, someone saying they have a day to spend in NYC and someone suggesting they spend that day in Baltimore. These comments baffle me.

As a resident of Anchorage I assure you there are TONS of things to do here and it is a beautiful and lovely city. You don't even need to travel to Seward to enjoy it. ;) We have miles of hiking trails, lakes, ponds, shopping, wonderful cusine, nightclubs, museums, festivals, markets... Believe it or not we also have the wildlife some of you travel 7 hours out of your way to see.

Last year we took some friends to Kincaid Park where we saw 8 moose in a 20 minute time period(all at a much closer distance than the ones you see in Denali) Also since moose in Anchorage are protected, they aren't nearly as skittish as those you see elsewhere. My friends live right under an Eagles nest near Westchester Lagoon, there have been bears spotted near Flattop, Potter's Marsh is full of birds, and the Cook inlet sometimes has whales....

I posted this once in another thread, but it's a picture in South Anchorage taken a week ago...at midnight. Not the greatest as it was taken with my I Phone, but you get the idea.

20120610_233849.jpg

And this was taken last night(solstice) also at midnight also with my junky I Phone. We were at Earthquake park(all the way west on Northern Lights blvd) and then went by the airport. The gate you see is the one telling people to stay away because that is the airport. There were 3 moose, but only 2 in this photo. No zoom used, we were this close. Could've gotten closer, but since we sometimes have moose in our own yard, the novelty has worn off a bit.

mid8.jpg

This photo was taken in October at Westchester Lagoon.

DSC01229.jpg

I invite all of you to come visit this beautiful city. It's a wonderful place and is most certainly real Alaska. There are tons of things to do. Stay for awhile, you may be surprised :)

I do suggest, people not spend a lot of time in Anchorage, when they claim their priority is wildlife and scenery. Most people are lucky to have an additional week. I certainly have enjoyed Anchorage many times, and have stayed many nights over the years. But, Alaska is vast and to do a "tourist" visit, it requires you to be on the move. I alway post the Anchorage visitor web site and encourage people to rank what is the area of interest. But, I will also point out that multiple days in Anchorage, may not be the best plan, when they have a week and want to get to Denali park and Kenai Peninsula. .

We love visiting Anchorage pre or post cruise.

Some of the things we enjoy:

Walking Tony Knowles Coastal Trail is top notch.

We enjoy walking around Kincaid park during the day and the day we were there when we were driving out of the park at dusk, moose were just coming up to our car.

Flat Top Mountain is a great climb.

The museum was very enjoyable.

Driving along Turnagin Arm.

Taking flights over Denali from ?Spenard Lake. ?

I could go on and on

We love visiting Anchorage pre or post cruise.Driving along Turnagin Arm.

Taking flights over Denali from ?Spenard Lake. ?

You aren't the first one to mention this so I will bite. Yes, technically Turnagain Arm is "Anchorage." But so is Girdwood. The OP is raving about all the things to do/see in Anchorage then posters refer to things like the above that indeed get them outside of Anchorage as defined by most common tourists anyway :D

Nothing against Anchorage here, but what I do strongly discourage is for people to 'base' themselves in Anchorage and try to take day trips all over the place. Ever try to 'base' yourself in NYC and try to take day trips to places 200 miles away? Pretty crazy, right? But I see people trying to do that a lot on the forums.

And though I agree there is a lot of wildlife in/near Anchorage I don't agree that they are "at a much closer distance than the ones you see in Denali." I was in Denali earlier this month and saw moose within feet of my bus and car - closer than the ones in the photograph you posted. The moose in Denali NP are also protected, so I don't understand your comment about "aren't nearly as skittish as those you see elsewhere."

I do appreciate your passion for your city and I really enjoy Anchorage. But most people are not going to get a true Alaskan experience by spending days and days at a time in Anchorage. Having said that, there are times when I spend night upon night in Anchorage. I just booked 7 nights in Anchorage for next year, but my purpose for that trip is different than the "typical" tourist.

The moose in Anchorage are also protected. They can't be hunted within the city limits. I could take you to any number of places where we could watch moose within feet of where we were standing. Ton's of wildlife to see in Anchorage if you just get out of downtown.

I could give anyone that wants a true Alaskan experience without ever leaving the city limits. Anchorage is much, much more then the downtown area.

Had a wonderful latte at Snow City Cafe in Anchorage--line of folks waiting for a seat. Incredible views from the Cook Memorial! We explored the area from Girdwood to Palmer and the Glenn Highway--absolutely incredible trip!

The moose in Anchorage are also protected. They can't be hunted within the city limits. I could take you to any number of places where we could watch moose within feet of where we were standing. Ton's of wildlife to see in Anchorage if you just get out of downtown.

I could give anyone that wants a true Alaskan experience without ever leaving the city limits. Anchorage is much, much more then the downtown area.

We have the day and a rental car, where would be our best bet to see moose? They don't have to be close, I would just love to see one. Is there a pretty good chance on our drive to Potter Marsh, Beluga Point, Girdwood etc and back?

Tell me about it! I live in south Anchorage and had a pregnant cow on my front porch this winter......

In 2007 we had a half a day in Anchorage before flying home and went on a 'trolley' tour (small open sided bus picked up next to the visitors center) and visited the museum. We enjoyed them both. We had a wonderful, informative guide on the tour and we even saw a moose (one of my top objectives - and I was within 3 hours of leaving Alaska!) up close and personal (eating shrubbery in a yard then crossing the street -slowly - right in front of us and jumping a fence into another yard). The museum isn't too big but is very informative. As in all of Alaska, everyone we met was very welcoming.

We have the day and a rental car, where would be our best bet to see moose? They don't have to be close, I would just love to see one. Is there a pretty good chance on our drive to Potter Marsh, Beluga Point, Girdwood etc and back?

Kincaid Park. Hike from the chalet all the way down to the costal trail. Some of my best moose photographs are taken in Kincaid.

Any hope for Northern Lights if we stay up to 1AM...lol??? Mid-July, that is....

Ha! The sun doesn't even set till 11:45 tonight.......THey may be there at 1 am, but you probably won't see them.....

The ms Amsterdam rounds Point Woronzof while passing in front of Mt Susitna this morning at 7am on its way to Anchorage, July 22, 2012

ms%2520Amsterdam.jpg

There I thought that Alaska is 4 hours behind behind East Coast time, and it turns out that she is a full month ahead! Or it that just Anchorage? ;)

Kincaid Park. Hike from the chalet all the way down to the costal trail. Some of my best moose photographs are taken in Kincaid.

Thank you. I will look at it on google maps. It looks like best access off Raspberry Rd? Is this correct? I want to figure out what our best route will be to maximize time, maybe best to stop here on the way back to town? Appreciate the help!

Anchorage does not seem to have the really spectacular things to see that some other areas do. Having said that, I am sure I will think they are pretty spectacular. (have not been yet) The pictures I see of the mountain views from the street, the float plane harbor and the water side trail are beautiful.

When I go home I will show off my pictures and tell the tales of our journey. Likely those highlights will be about glaciers, the train rides, Turnagain Arm, Denali, etc. It is pretty hard to keep up with those!:eek:

As I said we have 2 days there and will do downtown one day and the outskirts another. If we only had 1 day I am not sure how much of downtown would make the cut.

PS--Frommer has outlined a pretty good tour of Anchorage:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/anchorage/0001010008.html#ixzz1rbC3xsdv

Are these the things you would suggest a visitor go to?

No, your list is not good "moose" viewing. As mentioned Kincaid Park is pretty common for sightings. For me, it is best with a bike, it's quiet and you have a lot more range you can be. I have always seen moose here by bike, less success by foot. (but also, was a shorter stop, with a drive up}

No, your list is not good "moose" viewing. As mentioned Kincaid Park is pretty common for sightings. For me, it is best with a bike, it's quiet and you have a lot more range you can be. I have always seen moose here by bike, less success by foot. (but also, was a shorter stop, with a drive up}

Thank you BQ. We are going to follow that route along Turnagain Arm, with a stop beforehand at Kincaid Park on the way out of town. I don't want to spend the whole day looking for moose but we will go for a good walk and see what happens. As you know it is hard to get it all in with only a day stopover, wish it were more but can't have it all this time around.

Hi

I loved Anchorage. When I went into the city. I saw tour not avable on ship I would have not to take. But I was to late when I got to the city. I took the free shuttle to the zoo. Where while stopped in traffic the van was ramed but a young girl who I think was texting. She total her car. But no one was injured and we all got free admission to the zoo. I loved the zoo, It is a bit of a hard walk I think up and down. You can get views of bears. I am coming back this year. I'll be there on the 12th. My next trip I will spend a few days. This time I will walk around and take in the sights. I like to spot some wild life. I also will want to see scenary and take photo's. I do some shopping. We are hear all day at the end of day there are some museum I like to see also I saw other buildings do not remember looked intersting (or if its raining.) I love to do that 10 hour train ride but we are in Homer the next day. I also do not want to be falling asleep or bus/train.

Mary

While in Anchorage I & DH are planning to rent bikes in downtown and ride the Tony Knowles trail to Kincaid Park where I have read there are many sightings of moose there. The trail is about 10 miles long from downtown.

Hoping for good weather!

While in Anchorage I & DH are planning to rent bikes in downtown and ride the Tony Knowles trail to Kincaid Park where I have read there are many sightings of moose there. The trail is about 10 miles long from downtown.

Hoping for good weather!

plan on spending at least an hour in the park. You should be successful seeing moose. Also keep doing, viewing sweeps as you ride. They are a silent animal and not alway noticable in the wooded areas you pass.

Opps ( I saw tour not avable on ship I would have not to take.) meant to say Love to take.

I was going to walk down to the park but 10 miles not going to happen (have not been walking) I will not go on a bike either. My biker days are long over. Plus with my camera equiptment no way. Looking at other things might take a taxi to Kincaid park unlesss I can find public transit. Still might find a tour in town. Will look at my books from last year.

Mary

Archived