What do you recommend to read?

Sunebeach

Guilty Wives by James Patterson was a good, fast read (mystery) and you didn't need to keep a lot of characters/plot lines straight.

My favorite light (very light) reading are books by Jen Lancaster. Her first is "Bitter is the New Black". Her books are (semi?) autobiographical and absolutely hysterical (especially if you grew up in the 80s). Read them in order for the best experience.

If you don't mind a bit of fantasy thrown in, you might give a try to "A Kiss of Shadows" by Laurell K. Hamilton. It is the first book in the Meredith Gentry Series.

I have been working my way through A Game of Thrones. It is NOT a fast read, but is good. I'm on book 4 at the moment.

I love mysteries and spy novels. Just finished David Baldacci's The Simple Truth. After about the 3rd chapter I couldn't put it down! I've read a lot of his, and they've all been great. Right now I'm reading Nelson DeMille's The Lion.

For something different, have you read "the Art of Racing in the Rain?" A story from a dog's point of view. VERY good!!

For mystery, my all time favorite has been Sidney Sheldon- favorite book of mine that he wrote has to be Rage of Angels. (note: he created the TV show I Dream of Jeannie for those who remember) :D dating myself...

I like David Balducci too...I've read three of his books...very good.

For fun I like good ol' Daniel Steel. What I like to call easy life reading-some romantic, some have a little twist-hint of mystery others are quirky and fun like Sunset in St. Tropez which is about a vacation trip, not too intense or stressful and definitely --- not steamy sex novels. She wrote a book called Message from Nam too which I found quite outside her normal writing genre which I thought was very good.

A book I shared with my son before the movie came out...and one that remains in hard cover on my shelf today...Yes, of course...A Wrinkle in Time.

Try Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella...there are about 5 or 6 Shopaholic books. I read the first one and it was hilarious. :D

And if you want to laugh out loud, read a book called *hit my Dad says by Justin Halpern. That book cracked me up! OK, so it doesn't take a lot to make me laugh...I was entertained...maybe others will be too. :p

"Outlander" is a nice long book for when you have a lot of time on planes and ships.

For something very light and creative, try Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" series.

In a more romantic vein, anything by Meredith Duran or Courtney Milan is good.

Have you read the Hunger Games series? It's really excellent and not just for young adults. Also, the Sookie Stackhouse books are a fun read. There are 9-10 so far in the series, I think the first one is "Dead Until Morning".

Everyone seems to love The Hunger Games . . . Teens, adults, everyone.

I enjoyed the first couple Sookie books, but they do become repetitive after a while.

Probably a bad place to post a question of this sort...but why not? If people can get on CC and talk about what kind of swimsuit to buy...

I am an avoracious reader and am looking for a good "beach read", I love romance...of course, but like a little drama thrown in there. What's everyone reading? I'd love to know!!!;)

And yes, I've already read the 'shades of grey..' oh, my!!!

PS - this is a perfect place to ask a question like that. Lots of us are looking for ideas for new books on the cruise. Thanks!

I read the Tom the Builder one...can't remember the name...and need to read the 'sequel'...do you remember the name of it? That sounds so interesting...

You are thinking of Pillars of the Earth. It is about the construction of a cathedral in England long time ago. Maybe 1200's or 1300's. The sequel is World Without End.

I read the Tom the Builder one...can't remember the name...and need to read the 'sequel'...do you remember the name of it? That sounds so interesting...

The Tom Builder book is Pillars of the Earth. The sequel is World Without End. These are possibly the best books I've ever read (pillars is the best), and I really want to get around to Fall of Giants. Having said that, they are long, complicated books .. . Possibly not the light beach reading that you're looking for right now, OP.

I am now reading Game of Thrones, and it falls into the same category. I am soooooo into the books . . . But the plot and character list are super complicated, and probably not the best cruise reading.

I love mysteries and spy novels. Just finished David Baldacci's The Simple Truth. After about the 3rd chapter I couldn't put it down! I've read a lot of his, and they've all been great. Right now I'm reading Nelson DeMille's The Lion.

For something different, have you read "the Art of Racing in the Rain?" A story from a dog's point of view. VERY good!!

I am not a big mystery person, but I loved Some Danger Involved.

"Outlander" is a nice long book for when you have a lot of time on planes and ships.

For something very light and creative, try Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" series.

In a more romantic vein, anything by Meredith Duran or Courtney Milan is good.

Ah, Outlander, another of my all-time favorites. It's wonderful and is long enough to qualify as a tome rather than a plain book. However, it is not so uber-complicated as Pillars or Thrones.

I like fiction and non-fiction about the immigrant/outsider experience. Some notables:

Firoozeh Dumas' Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing up Iranian in America is quite humorous. Jumpah Lahiri's The Namesake and Monica Ali's Brick Lane are novels about Asian Indians' assimilation experiences.

Fun, literate books: Brock Clarke's An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England is quirky, surreal and and a riot for fans of American literature. Leslie Stella's The Easy Hour is in my top 5 books of all time. Wry and hip, it is also a big-hearted, feel-good novel. Near perfect.

A Guide to The Birds of East Africa by Nick Drayson is a wonderful, witty novel that takes place in Kenya. If you like Alexander McCall Smith's The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, this is similar though much better as it is not burdened with Smith's repetitive phrasing.

In the past, I have left several BookCrossing.com books in ship libraries and in ports. Check out the site for great book suggestions.

I also like Dave Barry's books...he's such a HOOT! (Not novels, but he's so funny, it doesn't matter!) Whenever I read one in public, I'm laughing out loud....but it's fun!

agreed! hysterical. just read his new one

Try Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella...there are about 5 or 6 Shopaholic books. I read the first one and it was hilarious. :D

And if you want to laugh out loud, read a book called *hit my Dad says by Justin Halpern. That book cracked me up! OK, so it doesn't take a lot to make me laugh...I was entertained...maybe others will be too. :p

and agree about both mentioned above.

That all being said, I dont bring books on the cruise anymore. my first cruise I brought a book ( Janet Evanovich) and only read 5 pages. I couldnt stop people watching!! LOL

You can also check out Jimmy Buffet's book A Salty Piece of Land.

I've wanted to read these for so long!

Try to read them in order as there are references to past story lines in most of here books. She is up to 18 plus several non-numbered titles.

Also I must agree with the Carl Hiaasen books - too funny with great twists!

For me personally I just want to be entertained - nothing heavy - no underlying morality questions - just nice, light, fun reading that makes me laugh!

I recently read the Hunger Games...the first one was good, the 2nd two, not so much....just my humble opinion. Then I read Defending Jacob which was incredibly compelling.

Right now I've changed it up, and am loving my new read: Clapton - The Autobiography....fabulous book!

If you like romance, Harlequin has a collection of 12 books set on cruise ships. (Mediterranean Nights series).

I'll have to check those out!

My favourite romance writer by far is Marie Force. She has many fine romances and I have them in my Kindle all the them. Nice. ;)

What a great question! Stephen King's Book 11/22/63 about time travel to stop the Kennedy assassination is very

Loved this book!

I'm enjoying this thread alot. For anyone who liked Hunger Games, try Divergent. It's a great trilogy. Quick easy reading - perfect for the pool.

You are thinking of Pillars of the Earth. It is about the construction of a cathedral in England long time ago. Maybe 1200's or 1300's. The sequel is World Without End.

Thanks so much, I'd forgotten the name...it's been a few years ago.

isn't this fun???

The Tom Builder book is Pillars of the Earth. The sequel is World Without End. These are possibly the best books I've ever read (pillars is the best), and I really want to get around to Fall of Giants. Having said that, they are long, complicated books .. . Possibly not the light beach reading that you're looking for right now, OP.

I am now reading Game of Thrones, and it falls into the same category. I am soooooo into the books . . . But the plot and character list are super complicated, and probably not the best cruise reading.

Pillars was one of my all time favs. World Without End was good, but I can see myself re-re-re-reading Pillars (I've read it 2 or 3 times already), but don't think I'll re-read World.

Game of Thrones I am currently re-reading the first, read through the series already, but watching season 2 has me wanting to get in deep.

I've loved Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, but my fav was Outlander.

Also complicated, but great for long flights is the Robert Jordan series Wheel of Time. My son (who was a teen and going on a whitewater rafting trip as his high school graduation present and is now a married professional with 2 children, lol) and I got hooked on him way back. Jordan wrote the first 10 in the series before he died, and Brandon Sanderson? has completed 2 more with a third and last one in progress, from Jordan's notes.

In common with Thrones and Outlander and Pillars, there are beloved characters - Arya Stark and Jon Snow and Dani (for me), Jaime and Claire, and definitely Tom the Builder. Jordan has Rand al'Thor and Matrim and Perrin and Egwene and Elayne and Moiraine and Lan and Nynaeve (just to give you a clue how memorable these characters are, the last time I read it was around December 2010 and I feel like I would know these characters if I met them on the street - like Scarlett O'Hara or Jo March).

for lighter reading, I love Harlan Coben's books - murder mysteries - the Myron Bolitar one's are my favs, can be read in any order, although the characters cross series.

Lawrence Block is another interesting read - I love his Matthew Scudder series and his John Keller Hit Men series - anyone who can make you empathize with a hit man has to be a great story teller.

I am planning to re-read a book called The Eagle and the Raven by Pauline Gedge as soon as I finish the Thrones books, in preparation for our upcoming Med cruise. It's historical fiction about the Roman conquest of Briton, beginning in AD 32. At some point in the book some of the characters go to Rome and for me, it's how I generate my own interest in where I am going. Gedge's book and Gabaldon's Outlander drove my decisions on what to see and where to go in London - had to see Boudicca's statue, LOL and had to walk the walls of Chester and Scotland - Culloden Moor was another MUST.

I am curious to see what will be added to my must see list for Rome.

There is nothing bad to read on a cruise, but dh is grateful that I now bring most of my books on my Kindle. When we did 17 days through the Panama Canal to San Francisco I brought 17 books with me, read them all, exchanged 2 with a friend and read her 2, switched 2 paperbacks in the library on the "take me shelf" and then bought the just released Jean Auel Shelters of Stone for the plane ride home.

Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum series - One for the Money etc...

A little romance, a little drama and a whole lotta fun!

Perfect for a fun little read on the beach. Starting with #1 is great, but you really can start at any number. I'm on 13 right now, with the next few already downloaded.

Her books are laugh out loud funny, my favorite character is Grandma. I just imagine my Grandma when I read the books...she was a feisty one, too :)

Try to read them in order as there are references to past story lines in most of here books. She is up to 18 plus several non-numbered titles.
Good to know! Sometimes that matters, sometimes that doesn't!
I recently read the Hunger Games...the first one was good, the 2nd two, not so much....just my humble opinion.
I enjoyed all three, though I do think the author dropped the ball at the end of the last book. It felt like she suddenly realized that she had a deadline looming ahead of her, or maybe she was only allowed X more pages . . . but the ending felt rushed. Spoiler hidden from view: If I had to give one example of this "rushed" feeling, it would be Finnick's death. He was a very important character, and she killed him off in a paragraph? I actually had to go back and re-read to see if he had really been killed off that quickly -- I thought surely I was wrong. He deserved a chapter of his own, with emphasis on his heroic sacrafice and last thoughts of Annie.

I'm enjoying this thread alot. For anyone who liked Hunger Games, try Divergent. It's a great trilogy. Quick easy reading - perfect for the pool.
If you like Hunger Games, you'll find LOADS of teenaged distopian books out there -- it's the new thing, it's what's replaced the so-ten-minutes-ago vampires. The Giver was probably the first distopian novel of note, and it's got some age on it now, but the concept has really taken hold since The Hunger Games.

Divergent I thought was okay.

Other suggestions:

Matched -- In this world, the government has removed the burden of choice from the population. No more mistakes! Efficiency is the most important thing in society. The main character is looking forward to her Matching banquet because she'll find out who's been chosen as her husband, her perfect match. She's beyond thrilled to learn that she's matched with her best friend from childhood -- what could be better? Since they already know one another so well, she waits 'til the next morning (when she's home alone) to pop in the computer disk that tells her all about her new fiance, his family, etc. And what a surprise it is: It's another boy. A mistake? She's unprepared to deal with this.

Withered -- Medical science has created a perfect generation: Intelligent, immune to disease, long-lived. Everyone thinks this is wonderful . . . until this generation begins to have children. Without exception, their daughters die at age 20, their sons at age 25. Obviously, this wreaks havoc on society. Their children's generation isn't interested in spending its few years in school or working, they leave orphaned children of their own behind in the streets. The main character is kidnapped and forced to become a bride to a governer's son, one of three brides actually. Horrible things go inside the mansion, and each of the brides reacts differently.

Forest of Hands and Feet -- The main character lives in a small village in the middle of the forest. Her brother is a Guardian, a man tasked with the job of protecting the fence from the relentless stream of zombie-like creatures who constantly try to get into their village to eat their flesh. People are often caught by zombies when they're forced to leave the safety of the fence to work in the woods. Throw in a love triangle, an unexpected visitor, and a big attack, and it's a pretty scary book.

Pillars was one of my all time favs. World Without End was good, but I can see myself re-re-re-reading Pillars (I've read it 2 or 3 times already), but don't think I'll re-read World.

Game of Thrones I am currently re-reading the first, read through the series already, but watching season 2 has me wanting to get in deep.

I've loved Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, but my fav was Outlander.

Also complicated, but great for long flights is the Robert Jordan series Wheel of Time. My son (who was a teen and going on a whitewater rafting trip as his high school graduation present and is now a married professional with 2 children, lol) and I got hooked on him way back. Jordan wrote the first 10 in the series before he died, and Brandon Sanderson? has completed 2 more with a third and last one in progress, from Jordan's notes.

In common with Thrones and Outlander and Pillars, there are beloved characters - Arya Stark and Jon Snow and Dani (for me), Jaime and Claire, and definitely Tom the Builder. Jordan has Rand al'Thor and Matrim and Perrin and Egwene and Elayne and Moiraine and Lan and Nynaeve (just to give you a clue how memorable these characters are, the last time I read it was around December 2010 and I feel like I would know these characters if I met them on the street - like Scarlett O'Hara or Jo March).

for lighter reading, I love Harlan Coben's books - murder mysteries - the Myron Bolitar one's are my favs, can be read in any order, although the characters cross series.

Lawrence Block is another interesting read - I love his Matthew Scudder series and his John Keller Hit Men series - anyone who can make you empathize with a hit man has to be a great story teller.

I am planning to re-read a book called The Eagle and the Raven by Pauline Gedge as soon as I finish the Thrones books, in preparation for our upcoming Med cruise. It's historical fiction about the Roman conquest of Briton, beginning in AD 32. At some point in the book some of the characters go to Rome and for me, it's how I generate my own interest in where I am going. Gedge's book and Gabaldon's Outlander drove my decisions on what to see and where to go in London - had to see Boudicca's statue, LOL and had to walk the walls of Chester and Scotland - Culloden Moor was another MUST.

I am curious to see what will be added to my must see list for Rome.

There is nothing bad to read on a cruise, but dh is grateful that I now bring most of my books on my Kindle. When we did 17 days through the Panama Canal to San Francisco I brought 17 books with me, read them all, exchanged 2 with a friend and read her 2, switched 2 paperbacks in the library on the "take me shelf" and then bought the just released Jean Auel Shelters of Stone for the plane ride home.

Sounds like we have very similar tastes. I agree with you, it's all about loving the characters.

Archived