Drop dead time to get to the pier in Honolulu for POA cruise

Cookmb

According to our cruise documentation, you must be ON the ship no later than 5pm (I even called NCL to confirm this), so we had decided to get to the pier around 4. I just called to arrange for our car to take us to the pier and he was concerned with us arriving that late and pretty sure that the gate to the terminal is closed by that time. I don't want to rush to get to the ship just to sit around for hours. I am in Hawaii to see the sights, so the later we can get to the ship, the better. Anyone have any insight about this?

They should have told you to be on the ship 90 minutes before.

Keep in mind that security can sometimes take awhile.

Why don't you get settled on the ship and then tour afterwards.

Keith

Depending on what type of cabin you have, boarding starts at 11 AM. I've also read were muster is at 4:30, but they have a make-up later that same day. I think read around around 7:30. Hopefully, someone can give you more definitive answers.

Aloha

I am never in any rush to get on a cruise ship either. I've boarded at 5pm with no issue.

I don't care if I "paid" for earlier boarding and for "what", walking around the ship??? :) I've sailed out of Hawaii 7 times. I prefer to spend my time elsewhere.

I am never in any rush to get on a cruise ship either. I've boarded at 5pm with no issue.

I don't care if I "paid" for earlier boarding and for "what", walking around the ship??? :) I've sailed out of Hawaii 7 times. I prefer to spend my time elsewhere.

Guess you've been around the block a few times, too. :rolleyes:

To me it is more logical to board the ship, and then go back off.

But as they say, too each his/her own.

Keith

But this breaks up the time which is not convenient for me. At mid day I'm somewhere else, to have to come back downtown, check in, park the car (wouldn't be returning it if going back out), then going back elsewhere? Nope, not good.

But this breaks up the time which is not convenient for me. At mid day I'm somewhere else, to have to come back downtown, check in, park the car (wouldn't be returning it if going back out), then going back elsewhere? Nope, not good.

I'm totally with you on this one. Yes, I know I have paid to be able to be on the ship, but DH and I use the ship as a way to see a lot of places in a short time. And to head to the port, check in and then head back out just doesn't make sense to me. My room will be there regardless of what time I arrive. Plus we decided to do an inside cabin (never done one before) to economize for this trip so we would have more money for excursions (as intensive a port schedule as this trip is, I didn't think I would have a lot of time to look out of the window), so I am not overly anxious to get to my cabin anyway.

Plus we decided to do an inside cabin (never done one before) to economize for this trip ...

In this case, it makes sense. I'd opt to wait as long as I could to check-in. With an inside cabin, you wouldn't be spending a lot of time in there anyway. :D

Aloha

While you should never risk being this close, the POA is different than the rest of the ships in the fleet and NCL customer service got this wrong often (unless they said it to make people rush to not cause problems later). The gangway will be set till 30 minutes before departure. If the ship leaves at 7, you could board at 6:30. Any last min check-ins between 6:15/30-7:00 are done in the atrium.

• 1 month later...

We just sailed on POA. Our connecting flight from SF was delayed over 3 hours and we continually called NCL to check on times. They said since we had checked-in online, we were fine if we got there by 6. We got to the pier around 515 and were fine. Actually, they were mustering when we got there so we missed that. Course we also missed standing in any line to get on the ship. However, if you want that picture taken of you boarding the ship, you'll have to get there earlier than that but we didn't care about that.

Doug

They should have told you to be on the ship 90 minutes before.

Keep in mind that security can sometimes take awhile.

Why don't you get settled on the ship and then tour afterwards.

Keith

Why do you think the 90 minute rule applies to a ship that never leaves the USA?

Personally , I like to board the POA early enough to have a nice leisurely lunch and a nap before getting involved with all the rest . Several times we have seen people board the ship on the next morning in Maui after missing the departure in Honolulu . Presumably they had to pay the interisland airfare and overnight hotel ; what fun is that ?

A recent Daily shows "All Aboard" at 6:30pm, and "Mandatory Life Boat drill" takes place at 5pm. :rolleyes:

Since we missed the life boat drill at 5, they gave us a paper telling about it and how there would be a makeup at 5 on Sunday. But there was no way we were going to come back to the boat for that and no one ever said anything to us about it.

Doug

Archived