MS AMSTERDAM 14 Day Alaska - June 15, 2012 - Endless Daylight!

nobbync

HUBBARD GLACIER

The sailing across the Gulf of Alaska was once again smooth but this day the clouds were as far as you can see. We were hoping we'd get a nice view of the mountain range around Hubbard which we saw when we headed into the Gulf earlier in the cruise but it would not happen. It's too bad because the view is tremendous. I had plans to sit out front as they open the front but it was raining today so we grabbed a spot on the lower promenade on the port side. Icebergs were coming into view but it was really overcast and raining.

i-vBM3gZF-L.jpg

As we made our way slowly towards the glacier more and more icebergs floated by. This one looked like a nice platform for black legged kitiwakes.

i-qpMhzkF-L.jpg

These two harbor seals were watching us closely.

i-bmT7THT-L.jpg

Hubbard Glacier is 6 miles long and it is very impressive looking even on an overcast and rainy day like today. As we got closer it did stop raining.

i-SXfkwCP-L.jpg

i-HDTz7Gt-L.jpg

Going in the ice was not that bad. But the tides changed and the entire way out was just ice. The ship had to go very slow. Because of this we did not stay in front of the glacier long. Basically we went in, did a u-turn and headed back out slowly.

i-RmXszSM-L.jpg

Next up is Sitka.

Nobby

Hubbard Glacier what outstanding photo's. I was on this tour last year June 10and we had lots of ice as your photo's. Also the same in Tracy Glacier. We were not able to get near the glaciers at both sites. I had defect flash card

this year I went on June 29 and very little ice but got to the glaciers. Tottaly different. But I will never forget all the ice and burgs last year.

Mary

Hubbard Glacier is 6 miles long and it is very impressive looking even on an overcast and rainy day like today. As we got closer it did stop raining.
It helps a lot to gain perspective on the size of the glacier if you are lucky to arrive there

early enough to be approaching the glacier as the cruise ship before yours is getting ready to leave,

or if your ship is leaving as the next ship arrives.

When you see one of those enormous cruise ships right in front of the glacier looking like a tiny toy boat,

it really gives you a feel for the size of the face of that glacier.

Someone posted this photo of a boat in front of Hubbard Glacier, and even scrolling the photo fully

from side to side, it does not include the full face of the glacier behind the boat.

HubbardGlacierBoat.jpg

For family members who are mobile but have trouble walking, we find it better to rent a wheelchair,

have it and not need it than to need a wheelchair and not have it.

Nobby,

Looks like you got a cloudy day like we did last year at Hubbard. It really brings out the blue color of the glacier. This one was shot by joyce last July with no sun. It looks just about as good as yours...lol.

Again great pictures of the eagle.....still waiting with anticipation for your Sitka pictures.

Rick

DSC_6194.jpg

Nobby,

Looks like you got a cloudy day like we did last year at Hubbard. It really brings out the blue color of the glacier. This one was shot by joyce last July with no sun. It looks just about as good as yours...lol.

Again great pictures of the eagle.....still waiting with anticipation for your Sitka pictures.

Rick

DSC_6194.jpg

Thanks Rick! Nice shots from Joyce. Looks like the glacier was much farther out for you then us as it was going behind the land on the right side of your pictures. From where we were at on the ship we could see down pretty far past that land.

Yes, the blues really stand out on a coidy day. Even though I love the blue I really wish it was clear so we could see Mt Saint Elias and the coastal mountain range. Just means we need to keep going back... :)

Is that large chunk coming down also behind the splash? We got very little calving and we weren't there long either so not much of a chance for major calving.

Nobby

Thanks Carol. Great information. Will proceed with trying to arrange shore excursions. May leave w/c at home due to the space in cabin situation you described.

We used the airlines wheelchair service getting to Seattle. W/c service onto the ship was great. We ended up using the w/c only once--during the safety drill. There seemed to be a lot of folks who had trouble making it to their lifeboat stations. They don't start the briefing until everyone is accounted for. It ended up taking about an hour. I was glad I didn't have to stand during that whole time. Otherwise, the ship is a good size and it just didn't seem necessary for me. Only you know what works for you. We could have moved the w/c to one side of the bed, but my husband had his photo equipment on the couch, so it wasn't really usable anyway! The w/c would have to be moved elsewhere for during the night. I had hoped it would fit in the closet, but instead of it being one continuous unit it was more a series of cubicles. Live and learn! Btw there is plenty of storage space, especially if you use under the bed.

Carol

Thanks Rick! Nice shots from Joyce. Looks like the glacier was much farther out for you then us as it was going behind the land on the right side of your pictures. From where we were at on the ship we could see down pretty far past that land.

Yes, the blues really stand out on a coidy day. Even though I love the blue I really wish it was clear so we could see Mt Saint Elias and the coastal mountain range. Just means we need to keep going back... :)

Is that large chunk coming down also behind the splash? We got very little calving and we weren't there long either so not much of a chance for major calving.

Nobby

We were in near the Glacier about 1 hr. 15 mins. The picture above was a small calving chunck hitting the water. The big chunck of ice next to it, I kept watching with my video camera thinking it might have a good chance to fall. Took a while but after another small chuck of ice fell on the right side of this column of ice the whole thing came down and I have it on video! I now have great appreciation for what patience it takes to get great calving events on film or video.

We were in near the Glacier about 1 hr. 15 mins. The picture above was a small calving chunck hitting the water. The big chunck of ice next to it, I kept watching with my video camera thinking it might have a good chance to fall. Took a while but after another small chuck of ice fell on the right side of this column of ice the whole thing came down and I have it on video! I now have great appreciation for what patience it takes to get great calving events on film or video.

That chunk looks like it is ready to fall. Yep, you have to have patience for this kind of thing. That is why I always try to stay out as long as possible to maximize the chances of something great happening.

Nobby

SITKA

Well today was a downright miserable day with the weather. We got in on time and again had no problems getting off the ship on the very first boat. We got to the lunge about 30 minutes prior and no problems at all. Here is where you land. Wish the drawing was actually the way it looked.. :)

i-StZK96g-L.jpg

Today we chartered the boat Sitka Secret from Bev and Kent. Cindy and I joined Avi and April for this adventure to St Lazaria Island and boy was it an adventure. The day was okay at this point and we walked the 10 minutes to the pier to meet Kent. St Lazaria Island is home to many seabirds and this outing was a bird trip as April and Avie are avid birders and I just wanted good photographs of birds or whatever else we could find.

Kent warned us it was rough today but left it up to us if we wanted to go to St Lazaria Island so we decided to go for it. All the other boats chickened out that day but we braved on. This is the boat Sitka Secret.

i-svkfJNL-L.jpg

Kent took us the back way as we were a little protected by the winds. We saw a couple eagles.

i-RPMdTJX-L.jpg

i-34pNvR8-L.jpg

The trip to St Lazaria was one of the roughest I had ever been on but we made it. There weer some researches spending the summer out there studying the birds. Kent was bringing them mail and supplies so they were happy we made it out there.

Part 2 soon...

Nobby

SITKA PART 2

The rest of teh trip we pretty much spent getting out there as it was slow going but a few places we did find birds. Here are some rhinoceros auklet that were just enjoying the ocean. It was one of the toughest shooting experiences I had ever had a steh boat would move up and down and side to side by a lot. I had to shoot as I was passing them up and down and I was shocked I got this shot.

i-pWDD47r-L.jpg

Once we got to St Lazaria island we did get pretty close to some puffins which is what I really wanted to photograph. These are tufted puffin on the leeward side of St Lazaria so we were not rocking as much as we did on the open ocean.

i-McCwqMT-L.jpg

i-4BtRJN4-L.jpg

After getting back to Sitka we walked the town a little but with the rain we decided to go back to the ship. Before heading back these eagles were on top of the Russian Orthodox church.

i-nn6GfKW-L.jpg

I hope to get back to Sitka someday and maybe have better weather.

Nobby

Nobby,

Thank you for sharing your cruise and fantastic photos.

You're welcome and thank you and everyone for taking the time to look and post.

Next up will be Victoria and more killer whales. In Port Townsend we saw a few whales from j-pod. From Victoria we had a treat as the entire j-pod came together.

Nobby

Nobby, you need to call HAL and negotiate a deal with them to get on their payroll as "Chief Cruise Photographer" or something like that. You can travel the world and take pictures for them as yours are much much better than any I have seen in their brochures. I have said WOW a half dozen times when looking at your pictures.

Send the HAL execs in Seattle your Alaska portfolio and maybe you can get a gig with them for awhile!

Nobby, you need to call HAL and negotiate a deal with them to get on their payroll as "Chief Cruise Photographer" or something like that. You can travel the world and take pictures for them as yours are much much better than any I have seen in their brochures. I have said WOW a half dozen times when looking at your pictures.

Send the HAL execs in Seattle your Alaska portfolio and maybe you can get a gig with them for awhile!

Nobby, I agree... your pictures are fabulouse, I know you like to photograph wild life, but HAL could use a good photographer for their ship life photos, too. I never buy photos that are taken of me and DH on board, they are usually terrible!! I bet you could sell a lot of personal photos too, I have been enjoying your photos, they are just beautiful shots. thanks for sharing, Linda

Nobby, I agree... your pictures are fabulouse, I know you like to photograph wild life, but HAL could use a good photographer for their ship life photos, too. I never buy photos that are taken of me and DH on board, they are usually terrible!! I bet you could sell a lot of personal photos too, I have been enjoying your photos, they are just beautiful shots. thanks for sharing, Linda

Thanks Linda and Bovaking. I have been less than thrilled with some of the ships photographers I don't even let them take my picture. This time in Hubbard Glacier I was in awe looking at it when the ships photographer came by. I got my camera out on a monopod and held it in front as I smiled hoping to get a great shot in front of me and the glacier. When I went down to look for it it was a great shot of me but no glacier was there as he burnt the whites out. A photo I probably would have bought as I normally HATE pictures of me but I wanted that. I should have set up my camera with the correct settings and had someone else take the shot. That just means I need to go again... :D

As for people photography I think it is a thankless job as so many people complain about little things. So if they need a wildlife and scenic photographer and HAL gave me a free room I'd give them all the photos they would want! LOL!

Thanks again and appreciate the comments.

Nobby

VICTORIA, BC

One thing I was very happy with this cruise is it stays in Victoria much longer than the other cruises. I hate the 6 pm to midnight stops a lot of these ships do. We had plans to do more here but unfortunately with the longer port time we got rain again. But the plans were to meet with Carol and Ron and we'd walk down to the Fisherman's Warf area and hitch a ride with one of the whale watching tours there. I was hoping for Eagle Wings to have space available and they did but just barely. We got 4 of the last seats. Saw on their maps the killer whales were close by. I wanted Eagle Wings because they have the really fast boats plus they stay out 3 1/2 hours instead of 3 for many. When I saw the Eagle Wings boat when we went whale watching from Port Townsend I wanted to be on that boat and even if we did not catch the killer whales the ride would be fun.

The walk to the warf was not too bad. It was not raining yet so we made it out in a good time even with two of us having health issues. It is a nice walk. The warf area is really nice. Some shops, restaurants and houseboats.

i-Wj77f9L-L.jpg

I'd love to live on one of those houseboats. We still had some time before the whale watching so we just walked around this area. We saw an area where you can buy fish and feed the seals. There was a pregnant one and also a blind one so the people and tourists in Victoria really take care of these guys. One would spin in a circle and ask for a fish. But they would stay very close to the pier. This guy looks to be in heaven as he takes the fish.

i-qMdwPf5-L.jpg

They would just float by waiting for the next fish.

i-chCMS2X-L.jpg

Before boarding the boat hey supply you with head to feet gear for the rain and cold. They even have waterproof blankets so that was also nice especially on a cold and rainy day like this day was.

i-gp5GDJ9-L.jpg

As we left the captain said the whales of j-pod are close but they are spread out some so he'd take us to other places first. We'd still get to the whales with about an hour and 15 minutes to spend with them as he was hoping they'd group back together. So we went bird and sea life watching first and ran into a pair of eagles that had a seagull for a snack. As we got closer the one eagle took the seagull to hide it from us.

i-FN3HjJb-L.jpg

We also saw a minke whale and even smelled the breath, whew, they are stinky minke's! Missed any shots of them. Saw these pelagic cormorants before going for the whales.

i-4FvKM56-L.jpg

Next up the Orcas...

Nobby

The killer whales of j-pod we caught up to on the north side of San Juan Island. They were spread out and would appear anywhere around us. Seemed like a lot were there but in all different areas.

i-ZKKhggB-L.jpg

It was really something to see and they were more active then when we saw them two weeks early. Even had some breaching but I missed getting the shots but it was neat to see it. We did get some tail slapping.

i-rRn8Wbd-L.jpg

Everywhere we turned whales were coming up...

i-4LVFTDW-L.jpg

As we stayed you could see each group starting to come together. How would you like to be in the water seeing this come at you?

i-R4QwFqk-L.jpg

As we got ready to leave just about all the whales of j-pod formed back together. The j-pod has about 24 whales and the naturalist thought just about all if not all were all together now.

i-442w6m9-L.jpg

i-MxdVwzh-L.jpg

Overall the cruise was wonderful and ifor anyone who is holding out to do this cruise if you can do it while it is still available, DO IT. I felt the cruise and crew was top notch. also met a lot of wonderful people from the Cruise Critic boards as well as the Facebook HAL rollcall page.

I tried to do this fast so I have a lot more photos and some may be better or worse. Once I am done with my gallery I will certainly post the link.

Thanks for reading and happy cruising everyone...

Nobby

WOW!

That was a great shot of the eagle in Sitka! I don't know whether I asked but, what type of lense are you using and it's f-stop? The clarity of your shots is just fantastic. I am trying to figure out how you are doing it? (or is that a trade secret?) I thought joyce's shots of Hubbard Glacier were pretty sharp but yours are even better. We are envious.

Rick

We are on this cruise leaveing Seattle on September 7th and are so looking forward to it. Your photos have made the wait even HARDER!!! Ours will be the last cruise with this itinerary and after seeing your photos am really sad about that.

Alaska (especially the cities and towns farther north) have so much for everyone to see. Like you said - hopefully the cruises that are left will fill up so people can really see how wonderful they are.

Again - thank you for such wonderful photos.

Smile -:D- it will either warm a person's heart or piss them off……..either way you WIN!

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

I must thank you again for sharing your amazing photos with us. They almost make me feel as if I were right there alongside you. This has been a spectacular series of posts.

Archived