MS AMSTERDAM 14 Day Alaska - June 15, 2012 - Endless Daylight!

nobbync

Nobby

We did F.I.S.H.E.S. last year also but for the morning only. We had a low ceiling and a little fog and the bear photo looks exactly like the one we saw. However the photo we shot with our Nikon P90 and was not as good as yours. We did not get as close to whales as it looks like you did. Hard to shot sea otters with a rolling boat. We had a great time on Floyd's boat.

Rick

Nobby

We did F.I.S.H.E.S. last year also but for the morning only. We had a low ceiling and a little fog and the bear photo looks exactly like the one we saw. However the photo we shot with our Nikon P90 and was not as good as yours. We did not get as close to whales as it looks like you did. Hard to shot sea otters with a rolling boat. We had a great time on Floyd's boat.

Rick

If you ever in Icy Straight again a good bet for whales is to look at the tides. Floyd said the whales move with the tide and as the tide is coming in they get pushed p in and around Point Adolphus,. When the tide is going out they are spread out. The morning the tide was going out. We did not see many whales with the fog and they were all spread out. In the afternoon the tide was coming in and whales were everywhere and very close. Just like any wildlife it is hit or miss but you do want to give yourself as many chances as possible. That is why we did both morning and afternoon with Floyd. I am glad we did because we were only going to do the morning at first and by far the afternoon was the better trip.

Yes, sea otters or anything is difficult to shoot on a rolling boat. Later in Sitka it made for a nightmare shooting.

Nobby

What a review Nobby:):) Your pictures are absolutely fantastic - I can't find the words to describe them but they are really incredible:):) Thanks so much:D

Loving your photos, we were in Alaska back in May, and we just fell in love with the place, the scenery is magical and the animals are amazing. Hope they restart the 14 day itin's again.

Shall return to your review again to see some more beautiful photos, loved the one of the blue icebergs from the small craft, not the cruiseship. Was hoping to see this vivid blue when we were there, think as we had a beautiful clear day perhaps Marjorie Glacier wasn't so vivid in the photos we took.

Alaska memories will be with us forever, so glad we bit the bullet and travelled over. Roll on 2014 when we return, in the meantime I'm obsessively reading everything written/reviewed about Alaska!

If you ever in Icy Straight again a good bet for whales is to look at the tides. Floyd said the whales move with the tide and as the tide is coming in they get pushed p in and around Point Adolphus,. When the tide is going out they are spread out. The morning the tide was going out. We did not see many whales with the fog and they were all spread out. In the afternoon the tide was coming in and whales were everywhere and very close. Just like any wildlife it is hit or miss but you do want to give yourself as many chances as possible. That is why we did both morning and afternoon with Floyd. I am glad we did because we were only going to do the morning at first and by far the afternoon was the better trip.

Yes, sea otters or anything is difficult to shoot on a rolling boat. Later in Sitka it made for a nightmare shooting.

Nobby

Very good tips to look up the tides when planning your whale watching trips. I am continuing to follow and enjoy your review. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Good suggestion, one I had not thought of. We booked our cruise last year so late we were lucky to get on Floyds boat at all let alone in the morning and then there were no slots open with him in the PM.

While on the boat shooting otters, whales or sea lions would you shot continuous shots hoping to get at least one good picture out of say a 6 shot burst?

Rick

Very good tips to look up the tides when planning your whale watching trips. I am continuing to follow and enjoy your review. Thanks for taking the time to post.

One thing about the tides, this is for Icy Straight Point only and Point Adolphus.

Nobby

Good suggestion, one I had not thought of. We booked our cruise last year so late we were lucky to get on Floyds boat at all let alone in the morning and then there were no slots open with him in the PM.

While on the boat shooting otters, whales or sea lions would you shot continuous shots hoping to get at least one good picture out of say a 6 shot burst?

Rick

On a small boat I try to time the waves. As I am moving up and down or side to side I do not move the camera or me. I brace myself and get it to where the subject (sea otter) gets in my frame and I take one or two shots. Then the same as I come back across as the boat rocks. There are times you can't wait and I will use a burst. I always have my camera set on burst. If I only want 1 shot I just do a quick shot and if I want more I just hold it down. For a bird flight shot I just hold the shutter down.

Nobby

Loving your photos, we were in Alaska back in May, and we just fell in love with the place, the scenery is magical and the animals are amazing. Hope they restart the 14 day itin's again.

Shall return to your review again to see some more beautiful photos, loved the one of the blue icebergs from the small craft, not the cruiseship. Was hoping to see this vivid blue when we were there, think as we had a beautiful clear day perhaps Marjorie Glacier wasn't so vivid in the photos we took.

Alaska memories will be with us forever, so glad we bit the bullet and travelled over. Roll on 2014 when we return, in the meantime I'm obsessively reading everything written/reviewed about Alaska!

This was my 3rd trip and it gets better and better. I LOVE IT up there and wish I could spend an entire summer up there. It is a magical place.

Marjorie is not as blue as Tracy Arm. Also we had a perfect day for the blues as it was overcast.

Hope you get to go again but you are right we will always have the memories.

Nobby

LEAVING ICY STRAIGHT

That afternoon as we were leaving Icy Straight we saw many more whales from the ship. We stayed out till a little past Glacier Bay National Park when we saw a mountain range that was framed by closer mountains that just looked incredible. We watched that as we went by.

i-38Dr77p-L.jpg

Anyone on a ship that leaves Icy Straight heading out to the Gulf or heading to Hubbard much be out on deck this entire time. Talk about scenery. It is incredible and lots of sea life also.

i-LWBRpxJ-L.jpg

After a long day we had dinner in the lido with new friends and then went back to the cabin to watch a movie. But I was still not sleepy just thinking about the past few days. I decided to look up on deck just to see how the sunset might be. When I walked out we had just gotten out into the Gulf of Alaska but the mountain range heading north to Hubbard was truly a work of art. The mountain range in the low sun light was really breathtaking! I ran down and told Cindy she needs to dress and get up here. It was cold but we stayed out till sunset and it was spectacular.

i-w7PZh9s-L.jpg

I was really looking forward to the return to Hubbard as that glacier is just to the north of that mountain range. It was now time for sleep and dream about the past few days and a morning we get to sleep in some. For me sleeping in is getting up at 7 am instead of 5 so I still woke up too early.

SEA DAY – GULF OF ALASKA

Today is a full day at sea and time to relax some. Spent a little bit of time bird watching with April and Avie from our roll call. Glen also joined us for awhile. But birds being so far away is not really my thing and with my vision problems I can’t see a bird that is not within a few hundred feet of us. So the rest of the day was spent relaxing and just walking the ship and when there was nothing else to do it was time to eat again… As I said early in the review all the food was consistently good. I don’t think I had anything that I hated and most things I liked a lot. My normal breakfast everyday at home is usually just a bowl of cereal and some fruit but on the ship eating a full breakfast everyday was a little much but good. The omelet station and eggs benedict stations I was always in line for. I liked getting the regular eggs benedict with Canadian bacon but the one with crab meat was good as well as the spinach. I would get no sauce and it was a perfect breakfast. Of course I’d have to have a chocolate croissant each day but I’d make up for it with my big bowl of fruit. We ate most meals in the lido but still had a few meals in the dining room that were also good.

Lunch in the lido was fine also but I tend to get too much in past cruises so this time I was a good boy. Though I did have to get my bread pudding each day. On my previous HAL cruises they also had the regular bread pudding but the second one would change each day. Usually it was a different fruit and I liked that. On the Amsterdam they had the regular plus chocolate each day with no changes. The chocolate was good but not much chocolate in it so I stuck with the regular good stuff. Went to bed early for our early morning arrival into Anchorage.

Nobby

Nobby,

Joyce said the crab and spinach eggs benedict put together was even better.......yumm.

Rick

Joyce is right! I would get one of each and eat it together... :D Unfortunately I have to cook my own breakfast now so cereal it is...

Nobby

We are on the last sailing for this itinerary and are so sad they are discontinuing it while thrilled to death that we are getting to experience it.

Can hardly wait.

AND this review with photos is making the wait seem even longer and so far away. Keep trying to make the time pass faster, but then it just seems to go slower.

Thank you for the amazing photos and the wonderful review. We know ours will be no match to yours, but hoping we get some wonderful shots to remind us of the trip of a lifetime.

Thank you for taking the time to do this review.

SMILE - :D - it is the nicest thing you can do for your face.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

We are on the last sailing for this itinerary and are so sad they are discontinuing it while thrilled to death that we are getting to experience it.

Can hardly wait.

AND this review with photos is making the wait seem even longer and so far away. Keep trying to make the time pass faster, but then it just seems to go slower.

Thank you for the amazing photos and the wonderful review. We know ours will be no match to yours, but hoping we get some wonderful shots to remind us of the trip of a lifetime.

Thank you for taking the time to do this review.

Thanks! Getting to our trip seemed to take forever also. There were times that I swore the clock and calendars went backwards! But once we got to it I can't believe it is already over. You're in for a fantastic trip and I am sure you will enjoy it. The crew and ship are wonderful and the cruise itself isn't too bad either... :D

Cheers!

Nobby

Your photos are outstanding. Thank you for sharing them. Since I did this cruise last summer I am looking forward to your photos of Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak, mighty Hubbard Glacier, Sitka and Victoria.

Nobby, your photos are beyond gorgeous! Usually I fly through a trip report looking for info, but I find myself transfixed by your pix. I'll have to figure out how to set my camera for burst before we leave Aug. 24. I also love having them interspersed with the text.

We got all excited about Adventure Bound, but at this point we are just not up to a 10-hour trip, so I guess it's back to Cap'n Larry and Orca.

I'll be very interested in what you did in Anchorage, Homer and Kodiak! I too am sorry that this itinerary has been scratched.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this.

Joyce is right! I would get one of each and eat it together... :D Unfortunately I have to cook my own breakfast now so cereal it is...

Nobby

One morning, I could not make up my mind so I had a regular, a Scottish Salmon and the one with the crab.

Now I am back to a banana and some yogurt for weekday breakfasts. - what a change!

Glen

I don't often click on the images to see posted pictures. Even less often do I comment on the ones I do take a look at. But I must comment on yours. I have looked at every one of them, and been blown away by the content, color, and form.

In all the times I have been to Alaska, in so many weather conditions, seasons, everything, I don't recall seeing any sights as grand as your pictures have depicted. Simply outstanding photos.

First of all: HI NOBBY AND GLEN!!!

Even though my photos are absolutely no competition for Nobby's, if anyone is interested in our experience from the same June 15 Amsterdam cruise, I'm busy posting my trip report (in many segments) here:

http://aprilbirding.blogspot.com

It's a bit birdcentric (since that was our goal during the trip). But it also speaks to other things as well.

Looking forward to seeing more and more of Nobby's photos!

--

April

Archived