Even More Suite Perks

GoochDSA

Yes, perks are nice, but if abused they can and should be taken away. Perhaps suite passengers letting others use their internet minutes may be part of the cause. If you can afford to sail in a full suite, buying some internet minutes should not be that big a deal.

If really so upset by all this, why not post on Princess's Facebook page rather than just preaching to the choir here?

My next cruise is in five days from now. I am booked in a suite. I have also made final payment on a cruise leaving in September also in a suite. We have been booking suites for years and have never loaned our password or logon to anyone. Nor have we abused any of the other suite perks like laundry. I just got off the phone with Princess Captains Circle and expressed my feeling that this is a real bait and switch tactic. For most other businesses, if you agree to purchase something under specific terms, those terms can't be changed once payment has been made. We will look elsewhere for future cruises if possible.

Ann;

Well said. I just got off the phone with Princess as well. I've had my booking since March of last year. My cruise has been paid off since March of this year. I scraped, went without, and scored some hard to get overtime at work to be able to book a suite. One of the perks I was looking forward to was the free internet. I know polocies change, but it is only fair they honor bookings made/or cruises paid for prior to the policy change.

The one thing the Princess rep told me is the internet manager on the ship has discretion regarding the booking before policy change issue. I'm not holding out much hope however that this will happen.

Looks like we also might be looking elswhere in the future (post 2013) for our cruise vacations.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the reminder about Facebook.

I find it "interesting" that Princess called me on June 28th to make sure I was aware of the suite perks, but did not mention that the free internet had been removed. It would have been less of a sting, had I been told something like "We're sorry....had to do this because.... but wanted to let you know so you would have a chance to take advantage of the bonus minutes for prepurchasing....". Maybe even sweeten the pot a bit. As it is, they've got some very upset customers. Luckily, we have these boards!

Yes but they gave Elite free minutes. It sounds like they just took them away and aren't giving suites any minutes. That is not right. Maybe someone one in a suite right now can fill us in more. I e-mailed my TA but she is on the west coast so will have to wait a while to hear from her.

Until we know for certain that they won't receive a package like the Elites, anything else is speculation.

Princess had never grandfathered anyone person perks because they've had their cruise booked. Just look what happened to the smoking limitations in Jan or the fuel surcharge or going back to when they eliminated the unlimited internet for Elites.

Next big change will be a limitation on laundry which won't surprise me in the least.

Just got off the phone with a Princess Supervisor. They've received a large number of calls on this issue from a lot of unhappy people who had booked a suite with the benefit available and now suddenly missing. Due to the number of calls received the issue has been escalated to upper management for review. Didn't go into details about what that might mean as far a reinstatement, grandfathering or modifications made to the benefit but she advised that she would get back to me so I'll give it some time and will let you know when I get a response. On a more positive note the Supervisor handled my call professionally, was empathetic, and didn't get defensive.

If you can afford to sail in a full suite, buying some internet minutes should not be that big a deal.

No it isn't but that's not the point. Many of us have numerous cruises booked in suites thinking we were going to receive that perk. Yes, I can afford to purchase some and I have them with being elite. Which are just gone when you are in a suite since you use to get unlimited. If they were to give us a certain number of minutes in suites, I wonder if you will be able to add the elite minutes or not. Now, if they wouldn't let us have both, that would drive me away from Princess!

Why are people being so mean about what other people say.

Why is it childish if some people who cruise exclusively with Princess say they might book with another cruise line. They spend a lot of money on a suite. Plus when previously booked that was a perk...

Or what do you care if he booked a cruise on the new Royal.

It is a big deal what Princess did. We are booked in a Suite for March and did look forward to the free internet specially when the cruis has many sea days and I agree with the other poster I would never give my password to someone else.

Just got off the phone with a Princess Supervisor. They've received a large number of calls on this issue from a lot of unhappy people who had booked a suite with the benefit available and now suddenly missing. Due to the number of calls received the issue has been escalated to upper management for review. Didn't go into details about what that might mean as far a reinstatement, grandfathering or modifications made to the benefit but she advised that she would get back to me so I'll give it some time and will let you know when I get a response. On a more positive note the Supervisor handled my call professionally, was empathetic, and didn't get defensive.

Thank you for advising. Please keep us posted.....

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No it isn't but that's not the point. Many of us have numerous cruises booked in suites thinking we were going to receive that perk. Yes, I can afford to purchase some and I have them with being elite. Which are just gone when you are in a suite since you use to get unlimited. If they were to give us a certain number of minutes in suites, I wonder if you will be able to add the elite minutes or not. Now, if they wouldn't let us have both, that would drive me away from Princess!

I agree. That is one of the perks I enjoy having a suite. Hey, some people save up for booking a suite and having the free internet definitely helps..

Maybe Princess will reconsider and change the Suite Internet perk to something like 20 hours per cabin for each 7 day segment. This in addition to the free Internet for Platinum members should be plenty..

They are not going to give a suite 20 hours for a 7 night cruise. They may give them what they give suite and elite passengers.

Then also take it away from elite and platinum. Also drop our prices some.

Elite and Platinum has a limited amount of minutes. Nothing close to unlimited. They are not going to drop prices either. Welcome to the new Princess. This doesn't surprise me at all.

Princess had never grandfathered anyone person perks because they've had their cruise booked. Just look what happened to the smoking limitations in Jan or the fuel surcharge or going back to when they eliminated the unlimited internet for Elites.

For the smoking limitations Princess gave plenty of notice and warnings so that people who would not want to sail with these restrictions could cancel without any Princess penalty.

For the fuel surcharge, Princess gave plenty of warning and it did not apply to already booked cruises.

I do not remember all the details of the unlimited Platinum/Elite internet announcement, but I do know that I knew about it long before boarding the ship.

However, for the elimination of this suite benefit there was zero announcement and it applies to already booked and paid for cruises. With zero announcement, people were booking suites expecting this amenity even after the policy was changed. This is quite different from the examples you cited from the past.

For the smoking limitations Princess gave plenty of notice and warnings so that people who would not want to sail with these restrictions could cancel without any Princess penalty.

For the fuel surcharge, Princess gave plenty of warning and it did not apply to already booked cruises.

I do not remember all the details of the unlimited Platinum/Elite internet announcement, but I do know that I knew about it long before boarding the ship.

However, for the elimination of this suite benefit there was zero announcement and it applies to already booked and paid for cruises. With zero announcement, people were booking suites expecting this amenity even after the policy was changed. This is quite different from the examples you cited from the past.

Your last paragraph was spot on.....:):):)

Bob

Princess made the change without the Internet access because they had problems with the system capacity.

This sounds like a definite improvement in speed for everyone else.

With about 26 suites on a ship like the Emerald, this eliminates the free benefit for about 52 people on a ship with 3080 lower berth capacity plus over 1000 crew members.

I am skeptical that eliminating this for 52 people will greatly help with the system capacity limitations.

I also called and spoke with a Princess "Supervisor". I had to hold for an extended period of time. When the gentleman finally came on the phone he was cordial and listened to what my concerns were regarding those of us who booked suites and were promised free Internet and how Princess could have handled this differently. His response was to tell me that a free dinner in the specialty restaurants on the initial day was a fair trade and I could choose not to book a suite for the next cruise.

Spot on. This was my main point in discussing the situation with the Princess Supervisor. Additionally advised that TAs are out there selling the Princess Suite product touting complimentary internet access. Spoke to my TA this morning and he still has not received notification of the change.

Emergency notification on the loss of internet usage?? Please. :cool:

As others will attest, 99% of the Princess "emergency notifications" have nothing remotely due to any emergency situation.

With about 26 suites on a ship like the Emerald, this eliminates the free benefit for about 52 people on a ship with 3080 lower berth capacity plus over 1000 crew members.

I am skeptical that eliminating this for 52 people will greatly help with the system capacity limitations.

I too doubt this would have any real effect.

...However, for the elimination of this suite benefit there was zero announcement and it applies to already booked and paid for cruises. With zero announcement, people were booking suites expecting this amenity even after the policy was changed. This is quite different from the examples you cited from the past.

Right on!

It wouldn't bother me if they got rid of the unlimited internet, and I do think those who would avoid cruising with Princess in the future because suites are no longer offered unlimited internet is a bit much. I think the bigger issue is with those, including myself, who have already booked a suite with the understanding that part of their cost is for unlimited internet. Now, if Princess opts to put a limited number of minutes as a perk, I'll take it since I would not use the internet for more than a few minutes every few days, but if they try to ignore it (and I'm sorry if I sound snooty but offering no cover charge on a specialty restaurant on embarkation night or some cookies/pastries/canapes/whatever "Chef's Welcome Goodies" are, doesn't really come out to be the same as unlimited internet), that is where my problem is.

After reading a number of post here I have realized that I may being doing my planning all wrong: see, I look for dates of travel, itinerary, excursions and time to relax and unwind. Won't make that mistake again as I have learned that you should be most concerned with, slippers, robes, cookies and oh yea least I forget Internet.

Really, seriously, let's be real. First, let's remember what "perks" are; little thank you gifts that sometimes become just too expensive to continue or perhaps have become abused therefore causing more problems than they are worth. These perks aren't "entitlements", you aren't born with the "right" to have internet when you cruise. You do have a right to pay for a cruise of your choice, enjoy the services provided by the cruise line and it's staff and pay for any extras you may want or desire.

Now with that said, I sympathize with those that booked a suite with a listed "perk" of free internet and I believe that the cruise line should honor that booking. But if internet is so important that you would consider canceling a cruise because it wasn't free or you were going to have to pay for it, then you should do just that so as not to start off your cruise experience with bad feelings.

Princess, honor those bookings that took place prior to the change and please let us know before you decide to take away the slippers, robes and cookies.

Flame retardant suit is on!

After reading a number of post here I have realized that I may being doing my planning all wrong: see, I look for dates of travel, itinerary, excursions and time to relax and unwind.

And don't forget -- overall people choose Princess because they

are able to smuggle liquor/wine on board, and other cruise lines

are more strict. I have read it here, it must be true!

And don't forget -- overall people choose Princess because they

are able to smuggle liquor/wine on board, and other cruise lines

are more strict. I have read it here, it must be true!

pablo222, shhhhhhh, don't talk so loud they may hear you! :eek:

After reading a number of post here I have realized that I may being doing my planning all wrong: see, I look for dates of travel, itinerary, excursions and time to relax and unwind. Won't make that mistake again as I have learned that you should be most concerned with, slippers, robes, cookies and oh yea least I forget Internet.

Really, seriously, let's be real.

There is a big difference in expectations for someone booking the lowest price inside cabin and someone spending ten times that much for a suite.

I know of one 12-day cruise where we met a couple whose price for the suite for two people was about $32,000. To say they do not deserve the perk of a couple hundred $$ of internet usage is an insult.

Across all Princess ships, full suite passengers make up slightly more than 2% of all passengers. I doubt we will see any bandwidth improvements by deleting unlimited internet for them. Princess has handled this issue very poorly.

My TA wasn't informed in advance even though he does a large amount of business with Princess. We have a WS booked in September and I had noticed that the free internet dropped off the list of perks shortly after they added the complementary cover charge on Embarkation day. At my request my TA contacted Princess and received a response on June 26th that the free internet had been eliminated.

The value of unlimited internet is potentially worth much more than the $40 to $50 value of the complementary cover charge. The addition of priority sign up for the Chef's Table and the UST or the "Chef's Goodies" has little added value :( Perhaps alternates of equal value could be offered and suite passengers could select one option.

This is as bad as the Caribe deck balcony furniture fiasco but affects fewer people. Another poor job Princess :mad: What are you thinking :confused:

There is a big difference in expectations for someone booking the lowest price inside cabin and someone spending ten times that much for a suite.

I know of one 12-day cruise where we met a couple whose price for the suite for two people was about $32,000. To say they do not deserve the perk of a couple hundred $$ of internet usage is an insult.

I certainly agree that if Princess is going to offer perks, those that purchase cabins such as a suite should get an extra cookie or two, but what we are talking about here is the internet service that effects everyone on the ship who would like to use it; first, it may be that it is just becoming too expensive for the cruise lines especially if some are leaving their internet connection on when not actually in use; second, doing so then doesn't allow others to use the service. As for the couple who paid $32,000 for their suite, please forward me their name as I sell cars in my spare time. :)

As for the couple who paid $32,000 for their suite, please forward me their name as I sell cars in my spare time. :)

They had the most expensive suite on the ship. Certainly there were lower priced suites available.

Archived