Problem with Princess Air, any suggestions?

4Cruise4Fun

Hi All, Some friends of mine had a trip planned with Princess, purchased the air with Princess and the insurance. The original trip was booked in Feburary 2011, with a sailing date of August 2011. Due to an unforseen medical issue, the trip was cancelled in July, 2011. The cost of the cruise was refunded to them, and a credit for the airfare was issued. The credit for the airfare was for 1 year. In June 2012 my friends were planning to book a trip using the credit. When they inquired about the credit, they were told that it expired in Feburary 2012, even though they were supposed to have a year from the cancellation date to use the credit. Many calls later to Princess, who refers them to American. American says Princess bought the tickets in February 2011, so sorry. It seems to me that they are getting the runaround. Any ideas or suggestions about what they can do at this point?

THANKS!

Hi All, Some friends of mine had a trip planned with Princess, purchased the air with Princess and the insurance. The original trip was booked in Feburary 2011, with a sailing date of August 2011. Due to an unforseen medical issue, the trip was cancelled in July, 2011. The cost of the cruise was refunded to them, and a credit for the airfare was issued. The credit for the airfare was for 1 year. In June 2012 my friends were planning to book a trip using the credit. When they inquired about the credit, they were told that it expired in Feburary 2012, even though they were supposed to have a year from the cancellation date to use the credit. Many calls later to Princess, who refers them to American. American says Princess bought the tickets in February 2011, so sorry. It seems to me that they are getting the runaround. Any ideas or suggestions about what they can do at this point?

THANKS!

Do they have anything in writing from Princess to back this up? If so, I would ask to speak to a supervisor at Princess.

However, even if they do get to use it after speaking with Princess, it must be used (not just booked) by one year from the cancallation.

I'm betting that somewhere in the friends' docs there's wording specifying how long the person has to use the ticket. It may be very fine print but they should have received something saying exactly when it needed to be used by.

Another reason to buy your own air. Just another example of the cruise company trying to have it Both ways.

In this case it would have made Zero difference. The Airline is the one that sets the policy. The Airline issues the credit and also redeems it according to their rules. Princess took care of the Cruise part.

We had to cancel a trip due to illness about a year ago and the airline credit was good for one year from when the trip was originally booked - not cancelled. I believe this is standard in the airline business.

Another reason to buy your own air. Just another example of the cruise company trying to have it Both ways.

I bought my own air (Southwest) for my February 2012 Crown Princess cruise.

I bought the plane tix 12/21/2011. When Princess cancelled our cruise midway through the cruise and bought us air to get home on US Airways we cancelled the air tickets on February 11, 2012.

We were under the impression we had one year to use the tickets from the time we cancelled.

We booked the CB for January 2013 and tried to buy tickets on SW only to be denied and then told we had one year from the day we purchased the tickets and not from the day we cancelled.

We moved up our cruise to December 2012 to use the air credit.

Bill

THANKS!

Why wouldn't the insurance cover the air as well as the cruise?

Why wouldn't the insurance cover the air as well as the cruise?
No. Princess insurance covers only your cruise fare. I think it also covers pre- and post-cruise hotels but I'm not sure. If you purchase Princess air and miss a flight or there are issues, they will make every effort to get you to your destination. If you have Princess air and let's say the ship is arriving late in port and you miss your flight, they will automatically rebook you.

No. Princess insurance covers only your cruise fare.

Insurance brochure http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

says on page 1 "Protection for Cruise-plus hotels and eZAir arrangements is included at no additional cost."

But I do not see any details on how a claim would be handled.

While Princess insurance does cover Princess booked air arrangements, it also only covers the non-refundable pre-paid costs. Since an air credit voucher was issued, the air was considered to be refunded at the time of the original claim. But since the refund was in the form of a credit voucher, it was not cash, which may give the OP's friends a chance.

While it is a long shot, the OP's friends could try to re-submit a claim against the insurance and submit the unused voucher with the expiration date. But the one year from purchase limit is industry standard.

Princess Travel care includes coverage for trip delay, see the brochure's page 5, medical reasons also page 5, Emergency evacuation see pp 5 & 6, and baggage protection see page 6.

BTW -I once had occasion to use PTC. Berkely Care's forms were brief and straight forward. I insured my air fare with an independent company. I think it was Travel Guard. Their forms were longer by two pages, and reimbursement took longer.

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

European Cruise canceled due to airplane malfuntion on first flight from home.

Airline took responsibility and refunded our air back to our credit card less

Princess commission for the ticket. We used EZ Air so the refund went to

Princess who then refunded it to us. (Took about 4 weeks) Airline also paid for our

hotel that night and our flight home the next day.

We were refunded to our credit card the transfers, taxes, port charges

immediately. (Took maybe 2 days)

Princess then took the balance and gave us a 75% cruise credit to be used by

the end of 2013. In our case we can see this credit with expiration date

when we call up our Princess Circle Acct. We had the Std Princess Ins.

We lost 25% of cruise cost and cost of insurance. Hope this helps someone.

Archived