Leaving for Alaska 6 days...questions!

themadzins

We are leaving in 6 days for our first Alaskan cruise. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer!

Is the self service laundry open for entire cruise?

Is the laundry service open the entire cruise?

Which days can I expect the formal dinners?

Will the weather be ok enough to wear shorts on our excursions?

And fyi....we are sailing Princess Star.

Thanks so much!!!

We sailed the Star to Alaska in June . . .

-the laundry was closed when sailing close to land or in Glacier Bay or the Fjords so you may have to check once you're on board

-formal dinners are normally sea days

-brings shorts but don't forget your long pants and a fleece jacket along with a rain slicker; warm gloves, touque and umbrella as it can be pretty raining and misty

We've sailed to Alaska seven times and sometimes we've spent days laying by the pool and others it has rained the entire seven days.

Very unpredictable but all worth it and either way the scenery is unbelieveable.

Enjoy and travel safely.

We sailed the Star to Alaska in June . . .

-the laundry was closed when sailing close to land or in Glacier Bay or the Fjords so you may have to check once you're on board

-formal dinners are normally sea days

-brings shorts but don't forget your long pants and a fleece jacket along with a rain slicker; warm gloves, touque and umbrella as it can be pretty raining and misty

We've sailed to Alaska seven times and sometimes we've spent days laying by the pool and others it has rained the entire seven days.

Very unpredictable but all worth it and either way the scenery is unbelieveable.

Enjoy and travel safely.

Agree with this. The weather can be very unpredictable. Currently Vancouver and most of BC are under a ridge of high pressure . This means that most weather is being pushed north to Alaska.

Eventually this ridge could get into Alaska as well.

On the Star in May, it definitely wasn't shorts weather.

With regards to the self service laundry, it was closed from after the first sea day until the second sea day (might have even been closed that day too).

Formal dinners were the two sea days.

All of last summer it stayed between 35 and 65. the best way to see things is rent a car , go at your own pace.You can do laundry in town. there is so much to see you don't want to miss anything. :rolleyes: One cruise We stayed on the ship watched the dock, samon in the bay, sea birds ,fishing boats We had a balcony fantastic and we had the run of the ship. Have a wonderful trip.

Depends on what you are used to and what temperature you consider to be warm enough for shorts. I have worn shorts in at least one port on my Alaskan cruises the past 3 summers. But I have also worn pants and was glad I did. My oldest son wore shorts our entire cruise last year, but he wears shorts year round, even if there's a foot of snow on the ground. :eek:

We are leaving in 6 days for our first Alaskan cruise. I have a few questions I hope someone can answer!

Is the self service laundry open for entire cruise? Yes it is

Is the laundry service open the entire cruise? yes it is, make sure you send early in the morning

Which days can I expect the formal dinners? Formal dinner are on the 'at sea days', if there aren't two of them, then any in which the ship leaves port early, as at 4 pm

Will the weather be ok enough to wear shorts on our excursions? Sometimes, but I wouldn't count on it, wear long pants and take layers with you as a sweatshirt and/or wind breaker and hood

Thanks so much!!!

Please see answers in red

I notice that there are 2 different answers regarding question:

"Laundry open at all times?"

On our Alaska cruise, we used the laundry, but not sure if it was closed at certain times or not. It was open when we needed it.

I would check once onboard, the rules may have changed and there may be a difference in the ships and the way that they handle waste water from the laundry.

There have been differing posts from cruisers on the Golden and the Star this year regarding laundry. It would be best to assume the self service laundry will be closed on days 3-5. Check once you board to verify opening hours for your cruise. For the Star's itinerary your Formal Nights should be your two sea days, days 2 and 6.

Is the self service laundry open for entire cruise?

Is the laundry service open the entire cruise?

Which days can I expect the formal dinners?

Thanks so much!!!

Laundry is closed while in Alaska.

I was on the Sea, early June, and the self laundry was closed from Juneau until after we left Haines. So it was open at Ketchikan and then when we were on our way to Victoria continuing on back to SFO.

Archived