Capnpugwash almost live from Celebrity Eclipse

capnpugwash

Somehow, I've gotten an entirely different impression of this journey with the Capn. It's an observation through the eyes of a very cerebral gentleman who is content on board and able to amuse himself with the most mundane of tasks.. including having his breakfast! I find it to be quite amusing... other passengers as seen through the eyes of a solo cruiser. He's able to do things only as he pleases and is having a remarkably good time doing it!

I think he's thoroughly enjoying his visits to the Martini Bar and Cellar Masters and he's probably quite a charmer at dinner.

I find his descriptions of the ship very enchanting as this is something that I would never experience. I'm sure that if I were on the ship my blog (if I did one) would be filled with music, activity, conversation(s), bright lights, big city type of thing... whereas the Capn is sailing in grace, beautiful sunrises, ethereal mornings, fog lifting skies. Quite a contrast and just a peaceful, beautiful experience on board a remarkable ship.

I'm feeling quite the opposite... I've often thought of taking a cruise through the fjords and wondered if it would be tedious... despite the beauty of God's creation. However, this virtual trip along with the Capn has made me think that I will definitely add this cruise to my bucket list. Perhaps after I've done all the exhausting, candle-burning-at-both-ends sightseeing and ship's activities... perhaps then I'll sail gently through the mist of the fjords and their remarkable scenery.

Just another voice here, but I wanted to say that I'm enjoying this commentary.

I have to agree. I have been reading this for days now and told my husband, "Look this gentleman is cruising Iceland, Norway etc and totally enjoying his cruise without having to go on excursions." (Which my hubby really doesn't enjoy.) How much more relaxing is this?!?!? We are now considering this for 2014 all due to Capn's wonderful reports!

I'm on this cruise in 2 weeks and I'm really looking forward to it now. We'll do more private excursions but I enjoy the Capn chilling on the ship. I also like his comments on his fellow travellers. Don't you do it - I do! And I couldn't give a damn what people think I look like either.

I'm feeling quite the opposite... I've often thought of taking a cruise through the fjords and wondered if it would be tedious... despite the beauty of God's creation. However, this virtual trip along with the Capn has made me think that I will definitely add this cruise to my bucket list. Perhaps after I've done all the exhausting, candle-burning-at-both-ends sightseeing and ship's activities... perhaps then I'll sail gently through the mist of the fjords and their remarkable scenery.

I have to agree. I have been reading this for days now and told my husband, "Look this gentleman is cruising Iceland, Norway etc and totally enjoying his cruise without having to go on excursions." (Which my hubby really doesn't enjoy.) How much more relaxing is this?!?!? We are now considering this for 2014 all due to Capn's wonderful reports!

I agree with these posters. When we've gone on port-intensive European cruises, it's been exactly what Member123 said: "exhausting, candle-burning-at-both-ends sightseeing and ships activities." But it's been fun to read the blog of someone who takes a different approach. It sounded like something I'd like to try one of these days.:)

I am having a fantastic time cruising along with Capn on his cruise report - what engaging writing! I find his reporting interesting as all heck and the tidbits about the meals, the people, spotting the one horse in town -- fascinating and very enjoyable. Thank you Capn for taking the time to share your experience :)

I also like his comments on his fellow travellers. Don't you do it - I do! And I couldn't give a damn what people think I look like either.

Yes I do, but not on a public noticeboard and in a way which could make it obvious to whom someone was referring.

And you may not give a damn but some people do - as the daughter of a lovely lady who was extremely small (due to a medical condition) I can assure you that she would have found his description "She would have been too short to join a troupe of midgets so no-one could see, let alone follow her" cruel and upsetting :mad:

My wife and I will be doing this cruise on the Eclipse from the 4th August and, unlike Capnpugwash, we always go ashore and love to explore (often doing a considerable amount of research beforehand). In fact, for us, sight-seeing is one of the main attractions of cruising. However, although the good Cap'n enjoys cruises mainly for other reasons, this has not stopped us from finding his blog an absolute hoot. We really do love his ironic sense of humour and witty observations.

Cheers and looking forward to the next installment!

Boy oh Boy..... Bohal and Paddigton bear. Sounds like not much would make you happy. If you are so disgusted with his posts then don't read them. I personally find his posts very informative and entertaining.

Everyone has there own way of doing things. REgardless of the post or where its posted, most people dont intend to be critized for what they write.

I will continue to read his posts.

My point of view is if you dont like what you read, then dont read it, move on to something you like.

Somehow, I've gotten an entirely different impression of this journey with the Capn. It's an observation through the eyes of a very cerebral gentleman who is content on board and able to amuse himself with the most mundane of tasks.. including having his breakfast! I find it to be quite amusing... other passengers as seen through the eyes of a solo cruiser. He's able to do things only as he pleases and is having a remarkably good time doing it!

I think he's thoroughly enjoying his visits to the Martini Bar and Cellar Masters and he's probably quite a charmer at dinner.

I find his descriptions of the ship very enchanting as this is something that I would never experience. I'm sure that if I were on the ship my blog (if I did one) would be filled with music, activity, conversation(s), bright lights, big city type of thing... whereas the Capn is sailing in grace, beautiful sunrises, ethereal mornings, fog lifting skies. Quite a contrast and just a peaceful, beautiful experience on board a remarkable ship.

here here:)

My wife and I will be doing this cruise on the Eclipse from the 4th August and, unlike Capnpugwash, we always go ashore and love to explore (often doing a considerable amount of research beforehand). In fact, for us, sight-seeing is one of the main attractions of cruising. However, although the good Cap'n enjoys cruises mainly for other reasons, this has not stopped us from finding his blog an absolute hoot. We really do love his ironic sense of humour and witty observations.

Cheers and looking forward to the next installment!

Come join our roll call for the August 4 Cruise!

Boy oh Boy..... Bohal and Paddigton bear. Sounds like not much would make you happy.

Rather judgmental. Bopal, Paddigton and myself are expressing our opinions. I think we are entitled to do that here. The purpose of my original post was to point out that I felt this "live from" thread is overly critical and depressing to read. Just my opinion and to balance the views for those yet to take such a trip. I have tried to post some informative and graphic information on this thread to demonstrate my point, but the OP has chosen to ignore or not to comment which is fine. BTW plenty of stuff makes me happy.

Phil

It is now 6pm and MV Rotterdam must be preparing to sail fairly soon as she is recovering her tenders and smoke is coming from her funnel. She looks like a really nice little ship; I must give Holland America a try I think. She has just raised her port anchor and water is pouring from her bow as the chain is winched on board. I originally assumed that the water had come on board with the chain but it dawned on me that the crew must be hosing the muck off and that is what is running out of the bow. Duhhh! She gave three whistles in farewell to which we haven’t responded, then she turned through 180 degrees and sailed off into the distance.

I've just received the disembarkation labels and information, I should be off the ship by 8am if things run to time as we are due to arrive a little after 5am on Saturday.

I went to the wine bar again before dinner, the Gavi was running low so I switched over to Pouilly Fuisse which is never a bad substitute, I had a glass and then as I was topping it up my credit ran out, but there was also a problem with the bottle so I moaned to Denis the barman and he gave me the measure that I should have had which meant that I ended up with 2½ glasses, I then popped to the Martini bar as it was still early for dinner and tried a Ketel One martini, it was perfect and I was ready for the meal. I was on a table with 5 people with whom I had eaten before plus a couple of teachers from Glasgow and we all really got on very well and before we knew it 2 hours had gone by. I had snails, Caesar salad with the anchovies and a great T-bone steak. I then sampled a small cheesecake and a scoop of strawberry ice cream, half a bottle of Malbec assisted and we all had a great time. I had a couple of nightcap martinis and then went up to bed at 10.50pm. We are still miles inland on our journey to Bergen where we are due to arrive at 7am, this is the longest fjord in Norway and the second longest in the world, or maybe the second deepest. I don’t know ad after three martinis I really don’t care!

I am meeting a friend tomorrow for some drinks but as we are scheduled to depart at 2pm we will need an early start.

I was quite enjoying the review, and the observations of other cruisers were interesting, but really don't you think the OP is probably cut from the same cloth as these ''strange people'' he seems to delight in trashing.:confused:

Boy oh Boy..... Bohal and Paddigton bear. Sounds like not much would make you happy. If you are so disgusted with his posts then don't read them. I personally find his posts very informative and entertaining.

Everyone has there own way of doing things. REgardless of the post or where its posted, most people dont intend to be critized for what they write.

Exactly. Thanks for just letting me echo what you wrote.

I love Cap'n's writing style. Not the usual and frankly far less critical than many I have read. This man is a seasoned sailor & has made his own choices as to what he enjoys to do on a cruise and who really is to judge that?. I admire that & find little that he has written "trashing," but rather humorous. I surely don't consider him "strange" at all. Assumptions really are merely assumptions.

Hope to follow him on his next adventure.

I doubt that the OP is cut from the same cloth as some of the people he's described. He sounds pretty normal to me. Staying on the ship most of the time is not my preference, but if he's happy onboard reading, having a few drinks, some nice meals and good company... good luck to him. He's quite a witty fellow and has a very interesting style of writing.

He doesn't seem as though he's delighting in trashing people. He's just putting into words a few observations that many people would say themselves if they had seen them. He's trying to be entertaining, and I can't say that he seems much different than most people I encounter on a daily basis.

I agree with some of the previous posters. No point in continuing to read a thread that you aren't enjoying or with which you have an issue. Move onto another thread.

Can't wait to see this itinerary on the August 4 cruise. The blog has been enjoyable but I am anxious to see it all for myself. Definitely rethinking the wardrobe after reading the various daily temperatures.

Yes I do, but not on a public noticeboard and in a way which could make it obvious to whom someone was referring.

And you may not give a damn but some people do - as the daughter of a lovely lady who was extremely small (due to a medical condition) I can assure you that she would have found his description "She would have been too short to join a troupe of midgets so no-one could see, let alone follow her" cruel and upsetting :mad:

The comment was clearly not directed at the girl personally but was an observation on the fact that Celebrity chose her to carry the paddle.

Boy oh Boy..... Bohal and Paddigton bear. Sounds like not much would make you happy. If you are so disgusted with his posts then don't read them.

Seriously? Are you kidding?

Can I point you in the direction of what I wrote originally and why just pick on us 2 in your statement above? There were others that made comment on here well before you posted - the person that was hiding this review from the OH incase they changed their mind about the cruise next year springs to mind?

I never for one said that I was "disgusted with his review". If you are going to quote me, get it right! That's what the quote button is for!

It is 5.10am on Thursday July 19th and the sun rose 30 minutes ago, the sky is baby blue with the merest hint of yellow/pink low on the horizon. It is cool at 10/51 degrees and we have a very light northerly breeze at 7 knots. Our speed as we head south south east towards Bergen is 11 knots; we are threading our way through the host of islands that separate the town from the North Sea. We are approaching the channel that will lead us into the port and we will have to enter it and then a 90 degree turn around the bottom of the final peninsula that makes Bergen such a safe haven from the ravages of storms. There are wooded and rocky islands dotted everywhere that we have to navigate past, the water is as still and mirror-like with the slightest of ripples as the ship passes or the breeze catches it. An hour has passed and we are passing through a much more built up residential area, still comprising some islands but mostly the mainland suburbs of the town.

We have arrived in this working port and we are one of 4 ships visiting today. The Queen Victoria, Ocean Princess and Columbus 2 are joining us. We have berthed at the Jekteviken Pier close to the Ocean Princess; others are berthing in other areas in the port. Passengers are not allowed to walk in the dock area so the shuttle bus is mandatory and free I got off the ship at 8.30 and it was only a 10 minute shuttle bus to town. It dropped me by a very pleasant park on Rasmus Meyer Alle and I wandered around for a bit, found an ATM for some running around cash and then sought out a café near to the market. Coffee is a big thing in Norway and there is a good flow of customers. They also have free Wi-Fi which is excellent.

We are sailing at 2pm so I want to get back in plenty of time.

We have arrived in this working port and we are one of 4 ships visiting today. The Queen Victoria, Ocean Princess and Columbus 2 are joining us. .

I think you will find the Azamara Journey is in port with you today

This is our first post and our trip on Eclipse on 4th August will be our first major cruise (we've cruised the Nile a couple of times)... and we are really looking forward to it:D:D

We have been reading the Capn's logs and are loving them. They have really been getting us in the mood for our upcoming trip.

Thanks Capn... Absolutely Brilliant!:):)

Eclipse here we come... Mr & Mrs ginger007, Master ginger007, Miss ginger007 and Little Miss ginger007

Archived