Cloud: 26th July to 13th August 2012

Alipius

On 1219A/B, I will be in a Veranda Suite: from Tower Bridge and return and with Scotland and all the isles beyond, including the Faroes and Iceland for three ports and the Hebrides and Ireland and Cornwall etc in between. I have no wish to report back to you on any of the above places, unless we run aground. Reason: you can get all that stuff on the Web.

But, when you get onboard later on, it may have much of the same Crew and, even if it doesn’t, certain things will not change easily. Hence, you may be interested in the things we non-Crew will run into, while so on board: the Restaurants, the Gym, the oh-so-important Bars and elsewhere (is there an elsewhere?).

As to the Crew and the general run-of-ship, a view is often one’s own. I will only give mine if it is backed up by at least one other, apart from my partner, and even then only tentatively. Should it be the confirmed view of at least two others (unsolicited), I will give it as positively as the situation allows.

Of course, this is a bold promise and may be compromised by the time taken up by Good Times, Excursions and attention to others; not to mention the cost of Internet access.

So, the reports may be short, or not at all!, but, because I have received so much of value from duct tape and Colonel(Ret.)Wes and others over the years, I promise to give it my best shot!

• 2 weeks later...

Captain is Luigi Rutigliano: " .. joined Silversea Cruises as Chief Navigator on board the M/S Silver Cloud in 1997. Since then, he has sailed on all six of the Silversea's fleet."

Judie Abbot, of course, is Cruise Director.

Information re Maitre'D etc when further issues of the Chronicle issue.

As for which, Chronicle is now in B&W.

There is, as of 3-4 voyages back, a Passenger List no more: the given reason is that some passengers complained they were in the List and they didn't like it.

The Champagne is no longer in bucket in cabin on arrival. The ship's Champagne is now the yellow-labeled Monopole Heidseick and no other: which is a double-economy measure for the Company in that it is the cheapest widely available and deservedly so (a taste that displeases and big bubbles, i.e. very little ageing time) and indeed I haven't seen it in a store for a long, long time and after my first sip (to see if some miracle had occured in the past 2 years since last tasting) left it for a Campari and soda and so it will be a Champagne-less time aboard. This is a pity: for some, the Champagne was the essence of a Silvesea voyage.

The first evening meal was praised by all: and the wines are all too excellent.

Alipius, Thanks for your Cloud on board reports and your kind words.

Exceptionally interested in your observations as we are on the Cloud (London Tower to London Tower) next July.

Have a terrific Silversea voyage!

This shows the sailaway (tug away!) yesterday evening. It's a pity that the Olympic Rings on the river got in the way and blocked the view of the Cloud.

If anyone reading has already sailed down the Thames on Cloud, can you tell me at what point the ship is able to turn around and face forward? I'm thinking it must be quite a long way down river before that can happen?

This shows the sailaway (tug away!) yesterday evening. It's a pity that the Olympic Rings on the river got in the way and blocked the view of the Cloud.

Nice video and thanks for the OP and everyone else for their info. Joining the Silver Cloud on next year's version of the trip. First time on Silversea as well.

David

If anyone reading has already sailed down the Thames on Cloud, can you tell me at what point the ship is able to turn around and face forward? I'm thinking it must be quite a long way down river before that can happen?

Normal turnround in our experience is prior to Greenwich approx 45 mins.However there are aircraft carriers and warships in the Thames estuary for Olympic security.We join the Cloud on 13 August so will find out whether exit down the Thames is any different apart from it being dark ..sail time 10.00 pm.

Normal turnround in our experience is prior to Greenwich approx 45 mins.However there are aircraft carriers and warships in the Thames estuary for Olympic security.We join the Cloud on 13 August so will find out whether exit down the Thames is any different apart from it being dark ..sail time 10.00 pm.

Thanks for your reply brimary. This is definitely on my bucket list.

Have a wonderful cruise next month.

Archived