Crown, fire and wind.....

MSH from Norway

I can only wonder if the "tool" was a home hire dryer, coffee pot or curling iron? I can't see to many people bringing on a sander or power saw. :rolleyes:

A hair dryer or curling iron don't draw enough power. It could be as simple as a coffee pot or even someone bringing a power strip and overloading it.

Good to hear no one was hurt including the village idiots that were probably using a coffee maker in their cabin.

Or maybe we could wait to find out the real reason and not all speculate.:eek:

My daughter and I are on the Crown currently. The evening of the fire the crew and captain kept us fully informed and acted very professionally. There was a fire in a cabin on Emerald deck in the 600's at the outlet by the desk/dresser. It was contained immediately but caused some smoke in that passageway. Crew members were sent to their general emergency stations and kept there as a precaution until the smoke was cleared. We were waiting in Adagio as we had dinner reservations in Sabatinis and the crew came back and we were able to dine there. The Captain gave repeated updates and the next day told us that the cause of the fire was bein g investigated.

As for the weather it has been very hot in our first ports until today in Mykonos when we had a fresh breeze. Obviously the weather is beyond the captain's control. The ship is in immaculate condition and the crew has been uniformly friendly and given excellent service. We have found the food to be excellent as well. This is my 33rd cruise and I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever!

My daughter and I are on the Crown currently. The evening of the fire the crew and captain kept us fully informed and acted very professionally. There was a fire in a cabin on Emerald deck in the 600's at the outlet by the desk/dresser. It was contained immediately but caused some smoke in that passageway. Crew members were sent to their general emergency stations and kept there as a precaution until the smoke was cleared. We were waiting in Adagio as we had dinner reservations in Sabatinis and the crew came back and we were able to dine there. The Captain gave repeated updates and the next day told us that the cause of the fire was bein g investigated.

As for the weather it has been very hot in our first ports until today in Mykonos when we had a fresh breeze. Obviously the weather is beyond the captain's control. The ship is in immaculate condition and the crew has been uniformly friendly and given excellent service. We have found the food to be excellent as well. This is my 33rd cruise and I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever!

Thanks for the details.

Thanks for the update! I hope the rest of your cruise is nothing short of wonderful...:)

Ann, I cannot tell you how pleased I was to read your report.

We have had a very difficult year with our son's ill health and our original plans to take the whole family on Allure so we could renew our vows for our 40th wedding anniversary had to be cancelled. Instead we are taking a 6 night cruise on our own on Crown as we don't want to be away from our son any longer (thankfully he lives with his sister, and close to his other sister).

My heart sank when I read the first few posts. Its been such a horrid year it would be heartbreaking if anything else went wrong.

I am so pleased that you are delighted with everything.

We are on Emerald Deck..... hope it wasn't our cabin! :eek:

I was on the Crown during the major outbreak of Noro this winter. I'm going to be on the Crown at the end of Oct on a Greek Isles cruise and will be in a 600's cabin on the Emerald deck. Hopefully that is the end of the bad luck that the Crown is going to have, ever! The Crown and its crew are wonderful and I'm looking forward to our cruise on board her again.

We were on the Crown spring ta when we were adrift for over an hour with no power. I was in the gym and all of a sudden heard a loud POP, I could tell it was electrical, then everything shut down!!! ---- Happens! The Crown has had a very unlucky year.

We were on the Crown transatntic, too. Had just gotten off of the elevator going to our cabin. I heard a loud rumbling noise. Thought the dryer or washer were excessively noisy. We were passing the laundry. Wen we went into the room, the power went out. It was off for about 1 1/4 hours. But it was around. 11:30am, 65 degrees outside, sunny- so it wasn't too bad. We were about 200 miles from the Azores. Never really told us what happened except that they lost a generator for awhile. That was obvious, I thought. What was really scary was dodging the Noro while we were about 5 days into the cruise. I washed and washed my hands. Luckily, I had a big can of Lysol and I sprayed everything that I encountered.

I can only wonder if the "tool" was a home hire dryer, coffee pot or curling iron? I can't see to many people bringing on a sander or power saw. :rolleyes:

No power tools:) but they do bring those big power strips so that they can have extra electrical plugs.

DH & I were on her June 17-29... I aagree with everything you said! What a WONDERFUL crew, Food was excellent! Couldn't ask for anything better! Hope you continue to have a great time!

This *stuff* happens. It's normal. Had an electrical fire on the QM2 in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and saw the panicked crew members running down halls, etc.

What I like about this post is the OP's attitude!! If only everyone would look at things so positively. AWESOME ATTITUDE!! :)

Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease!

I'll be on the Crown next week (solo) for my first ever cruise, and reading this thread saying "crown is having an unlucky year" has not really helped me, but as you are aboard, and know the true circumstances, and not speculating as some have, I thank you for the update :)

or unapproved power strip that so many here on CC brag about taking, using and "never had a problem"

We just recently got off the Golden Princess, with 2 iphones, 1 ipad, 1 computer and 1 blackberry and never had an issue with finding enough outlets to use to recharge them. Why anyone would need to bring a power strip is beyond me.

Cheers,

Kat

We just recently got off the Golden Princess, with 2 iphones, 1 ipad, 1 computer and 1 blackberry and never had an issue with finding enough outlets to use to recharge them. Why anyone would need to bring a power strip is beyond me.

Cheers,

Kat

The most usable outlets I have found at one time is three.

a) Bathroom (OK to charge a device like those)

b) Behind the TV set

c) One of the two at the desk. Thye charging plug us usually too big to allow use of the second outlet at the same time.

The most usable outlets I have found at one time is three.

a) Bathroom (OK to charge a device like those) Yes.

b) Behind the TV set Didn't see this one.

c) One of the two at the desk. Thye charging plug us usually too big to allow use of the second outlet at the same time.

Where we charged our iphones.

Another reason I prefer Apple devices. The chargers fit two at a time in the outlet where the hair dryer is plugged in. :D

Cheers,

Kat

Archived