No Mexican Riviera cruises next summer?

One of the problems is they only go to Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta. If they would return to Mazatlain or La Paz or one of th other small ports along the Sea of Cortez it would help sell cabins. The prices for the 7 day MR are not any cheaper then some 7 day cruises from Florida.

Why would you expect the price to NOT be the same? A 7 day cruise has the same cost factor to the cruise line regardless of where it is going.

When Carnival announced that they would not be doing 7 Day Mexico cruises in the summer I have always thought they should have the Inspiration do one or two 7 day cruises a month so LA is not without 7 day cruises.

I also think they should do the same with Tampa.

Shootings, muggings, robberies, etc. happen everywhere, even in the Caribbean. Again, I see your point but still fill safer in Mexico. Just IMHO.

Don't get me wrong. I see your point and I loved going to Cabo and PV. Acapulco was another story.

On our last cruise to the Mexican Riviera we took a tour in Mazatlan. When we got back to the ship we learned that there was a murder in the downtown area in the middle of the day.

I really for for the people of Mexico who are wonderful people.

I just wish the government would crack down on the druggies

When Carnival announced that they would not be doing 7 Day Mexico cruises in the summer I have always thought they should have the Inspiration do one or two 7 day cruises a month so LA is not without 7 day cruises.

That would be nice! Or at least the 5-nighter like the Elation used to do.

Why would you expect the price to NOT be the same? A 7 day cruise has the same cost factor to the cruise line regardless of where it is going.

Other posters keep saying how the MR cruises are so discounted and they are cheaper then Caribbean cruises and that is the reason Carnival is not doing MR 7 day next summer.

I was pointing out that they are not cheaper. Splendor is the only ship doing 7 day MR cruises on the west coast year round normally they cost more, but they sail full and they only visit two ports.

WHAT are you kidding??? the MR cruises are the same price as florida cruises??? PLEASE check again.

I don't know about inside or oceanview cause I don't even look at those prices. But balcony is basically the same prices.

Big difference... people don't take cruises that drop you off in L.A. or L.B. at night!:rolleyes:

The simple fact is that a Carnival tour was attacked by armed robbers.

Armed gunMAN LOL! This happens everywhere, like Jamaica for instance. On a Carnival plantation tour. Or in Costa Rica where the x military man broke the idiots neck. Oh and the sad tragedy about the young woman who got caught in a gang shooting crossfire in St. Thomas and died.Is the drug cartel a reason because of the low sales for cruises out of Los Angeles? Yes ONE of the reasons thanks to the media hysteria and geographical ignorance of some people. Another big factor is that Calif. has been hit with one of the highest unemployment in the nation. Many are still filing for bankruptsy and homes are still going into forclosures.....yet we hear another lie in the media.....that the economy is recovering lol!My family just returned from yet another wonderful week in downtown Cabo last week and let me tell you I feel safer there than in my own home. I never leave my home unlocked at home. In Cabo, all our doors are wide open to let that wonderful ocean breeze come in. Take a trip down there, stay a week and then come back and tell me how dangerous it is instead of just repeating nonsense you hear.

I also think they should do the same with Tampa.

That would be a great idea.

I agree about the whole crime thing being over emphasized in Mexico. There is more crime in New York City, Puerto Rico and Jamaica and they don't stop using those ports. Besides, Princess and HAL (and other ships) still stop in Mexico. I'll be going back to Puerto Vallarta in December and I know that I will feel safer there than Jamaica--and that is even after knowing about the passengers robbed in PV. Hey, I think more people die on cruise ships or fall off of them or die from cruise related mishaps than passengers being threatened or murdered in Mexico. Just my observation...not proven facts.

Didn't the Sprit leave out of SanDiego and not LA? I believe the Miracle is to replace the Splendor as it went out of Long Beach. BTW, I found Long Beach, at least the area near the cruise terminal and the nearby marina with many restaurants quite lovely. Husband and I walked late in the night and felt totally safe.

Thanks to those of you who wrote about the deck plans on the Miracle being more friendly. I did read in the past that the Spirit class ships were well-loved for this reason but was not aware which ships were of the Spirit class. This is good to know.

Even before the violence, the MR ports were less than desirable places to go to.I am sure a lot of people got tired of visiting them.

When I went on the Spirit MR 8 day, that was totally different as it went to Acapulco, Zihuetenjo and Manzanillo- it was a blast.

It would have been nice to see CCL simply go to some different ports rather than the same old PV/Cabo/Mazatlan. Loreto would have been great, I think HAL goes there in the winter.

I don't think there is much in the way of crime in the smaller cities like Zihuetenejo and Loreto.

Here in San Diego, there are no ships scheduled in July and Aug.

We also took that Spirit cruise, and several of those 5 dayers on the Elation and Radiance OS. DH likes to play golf in MR.

Personally, we didn't like the Splendor--and I DID like the pink decor !! :D I would take Miracle in a heartbeat. And No, the 3 and 4 dayers are not the same. That said, we are booked on Inspiration in Sept. and we will be taking ships tours in Ensenada.

The only places I don't go are Tijuana, Rosarito and Acapulco. I live in SD so I am well aware of any problems. I'm just not afraid in the other ports.

Pat

Why will Carnival not be cruising the Mexican Riviera next summer? We are just off the Splendor and had hoped to book another cruise for the same time next July. The ship was completely full so it is not because they are not booking this cruise.

Nope/ Splendor is moving to the East Coast.

Armed gunMAN LOL! This happens everywhere, like Jamaica for instance. On a Carnival plantation tour. Or in Costa Rica where the x military man broke the idiots neck. Oh and the sad tragedy about the young woman who got caught in a gang shooting crossfire in St. Thomas and died.Is the drug cartel a reason because of the low sales for cruises out of Los Angeles? Yes ONE of the reasons thanks to the media hysteria and geographical ignorance of some people. Another big factor is that Calif. has been hit with one of the highest unemployment in the nation. Many are still filing for bankruptsy and homes are still going into forclosures.....yet we hear another lie in the media.....that the economy is recovering lol!My family just returned from yet another wonderful week in downtown Cabo last week and let me tell you I feel safer there than in my own home. I never leave my home unlocked at home. In Cabo, all our doors are wide open to let that wonderful ocean breeze come in. Take a trip down there, stay a week and then come back and tell me how dangerous it is instead of just repeating nonsense you hear.

Amen, well said! This is the point I was trying to make.

Costs have very little to do with how they price cabins; it is mostly based on demand. If more people want to cruise at that time/place, they can sell cabins for more. If less want to cruise at that time/place, they have to drop the price to fill cabins. Sometimes they will drop prices and rooms start to sell faster than they expected so they then raise prices. All of this is done to maximize profit.

CCL doesn't "try to keep prices low" as many cheerleaders claim; that is just stupid. They try to get as much as possible for their cabins while still sailing full. They might even sell cabins below cost, but doing so is more effective than sailing with the room vacant.

FYI, the port that the Splendor leaves from has a higher crime rate than Cabo and PV combined! L.A. and Long Beach areas... Again, the media plays a huge factor in 'sensationalizing' the facts. I'd rather walk the streets of PV or Cabo than those in L.A. or L.B. at night anytime!

Well said. Just because there is highly documented drug war going on in Mexico means there are more headlines about the death toll. How many people die each year in the Los Angeles area gang wars and other violent crimes? You don't see that as often in the headlines.

For those of you have cruised on both, please tell me the differences with the Miracle and Splendor? Which did you like better and why? I've cruised Splendor but not Miracle. Was wondering if I should give her a chance.

The Miracle is a Spirit class ship. Easy to navugate deckplan.

The Spirit from SD will be missed. I so much prefer SD over LA/LB.

If I were to build my own MR itinerary, it would include Mazatlan, La Paz, Cabo and Loretto and be an 8-day cruise from SD. I could do without PV and Acapulco.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Just got my HAL Mariner in today.

HAL Zaandam 12 day April 6, 2013

San Diego, Mazatlan, PV and Loretto

I agree that the risk from the cartels is overemphasised compared to the risks from crime in the Caribbean or right at home (Los Angeles for me). That said, I'm glad that the cruise lines have given up on Mazatlan in favor of another stop at Cabo. The normal itinerary is like 7 AM to 2 PM in Cabo which really isn't enough time, especially since it's a tender port. Now there's plenty of time!

Also, I think it's possible that cruising out of LA might cost CCL more than cruising out of Florida. For example, in California coastal waters you have to use diesel (and not heavy fuel oil) so that adds cost. You also plug in at San Pedro rather than using your own power. I'm guessing the cost of using the local Longshoremen would be greater in Cali than Fla. All of these might be wrong (it is the Internet after all :)) but the idea is there are certainly reasons why cruising 7 days out of one spot may be more expensive for CCL than another.

Archived